Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner DJ Rant (questions inside!!)

If you can mix on CDJs there should be no reason why you can't mix on vinyl. Heck just give it a couple of weeks

UPDATE* So its now like 12:30am Thursday morning, of course im up practicing. Finally got ahold of the booking manager and he says I can bring my CDJ's meaning im goin in with thumb drives thank god. Hopefully there are no setup issues and everything works when I get there Friday. Thanks to everyone wishing me good luck I really really appreciate it. My buddy is a photographer so hes coming and hes going to be taking high quality pics and video for me so i'll make sure those get posted asap right after. Ive got all my music ready and it all mixes well. I was feeling really nervous earlier but then I listened to this:

Now im feeling unstoppable haha. That's what im thinking @Catch22!! makes me wanna keep my serato scratch box just incase I ever pick up turntables but it just feels like such a step backwards lol, maybe someone can help out but the cue button in scratch wasnt working for me, it would stop music when pressed then when pressed again it would just continue instead of starting from the beginning. Any fix for that? Probly a pretty noob mistake but I dunno I just got a bad vibe from it. Anyways more updates soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialzed View Post

@Mahatma Goat - ........... I may however be a little small

@Prof_fate - Your right. I recently got laid ...... I am def lacking experience but no better way to get it than to head out there full steam ahead right? haha
    .........I started off at the bottom ...... working for free which helped me to build my relationship with the owner and with the wedding company im going to be ............. until my training is complete. Im just ambitious I dunno.

edited for clarity, excess words removed
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Troy View Post
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.

That's what im thinking @Catch22!! makes me wanna keep my serato scratch box just incase I ever pick up turntables but it just feels like such a step backwards lol, maybe someone can help out but the cue button in scratch wasnt working for me, it would stop music when pressed then when pressed again it would just continue instead of starting from the beginning. Any fix for that? Probly a pretty noob mistake but I dunno I just got a bad vibe from it. Anyways more updates soon.
    Sounds like you've been using Serato in relative mode. In absolute mode the cue button should take you back to the beginning.

Before you read this know two things:

1. I have been DJing for about a month and a half now.

2. I have published 6 mixes (mix cloud and sound cloud together) one of which was for and Opening DJ contest for a huge fesitval (contest is still running) and 2 of which are over an hour long.

3. In the small time ive been doing this I have already secured a friday night residency at a local club that will begin mid September and a Wedding DJ job (Still in training for mic work and equipment transport) that will be a regular thing every Saturday come mid September. Both of these jobs were obtained by showing managers my mixes, they are good.
    Hmmmmmmm....
    Last edited by Dr_Herringbone; 08-29-2013 at 04:37 AM.

@Adzm00 - Everyone is different, I bet your mixing is way better than mine. I can only mix with CDJ's I haven't touched vinyl yet. As for my soundcloud id like to hold off on that for now. A bit too much negativity in this thread id rather not have people listening to my mixes looking for mistakes.
    A few things... to be honest if your mixing is good, people aren't just going to get on your case for the sake of it, they will say fair enough. But if it isn't and they are critical, then it is a learning process for you, which is beneficial to you.

If you cannot take on warranted and unwarranted criticism, then DJing isn't for you.

That is my honest view on the matter. You have done this for a month or so, I've been doing it 11 years and there are plenty of people on here doing it just as long or longer and all have a lot of good advice to give.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

use your sl box and your 850's in hid mode... works real good. I have no issues...

lets hear your soundcloud mixes. We will tell the truth instead of your friends saying its good. Perfect strangers are better critics. If you know and feel that you are good, it will show in your mixes. Your mixes dont really have to be supper on point. Phrasing has to be good, no vocal clashes,or key clashes and if it does go off beat a lil the ability to recover from it. Even if its a slam mix can be good. Last thing join some of the forum battles.
    Last edited by Dj broray; 08-29-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    Check out baller95 he beat me in a DJF battle, http://www.mixcrate.com/baller95/dj_mixes

Quote Originally Posted by Dj broray View Post
    use your sl box and your 850's in hid mode... works real good. I have no issues...
    No point if he uses USB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dj broray View Post
    key clashes
    Depending on your genre, don't worry too much about key for now.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

@allensmusic - Your edit needs some editing. I dont work for free. Im a promoter at the club right now meaning I get 5 bucks for every head I bring in, I can also give away limos for big groups. Since its only open Friday and Saturday I usually get at least 3 birthday party's a weekend (45 people so $225) which isnt bad to drink for free party for free and ride a limo to the club every weekend. Also the weddings pay great too, I get $18 an hour to run the photo booth (Go to wedding, eat dinner, then sit by photo booth for remainder of night on phone or on laptop) and shows are always 8 hours plus 1 hour set up and 1 hour tear down so $180 to eat and sit. When I start DJing which will be after my mic training is completed mid September that figure goes up to $30/h. Please have a seat.

@DJboray - I will try it! after this gig I will do some more research and see If I can get it working. It would be nice to not have to bring my equipment to clubs.

To those asking for mixes, there will be video's from the gig.

Banned
    To me, if you're not willing to post your mixes up on a DJ forum, you're not ready to be playing gigs. I don't buy the argument that people would be over-critical just for the sake of it. If you're not confident enough to have folks from here listening to your mixes, then I don't see how you can play for a bigger live crowd. Also, posting up your mixes here would be beneficial to you, because it will either reassure you that you're doing just fine, or tell you that you suck and that you should perhaps think again about taking live gigs at this stage.