Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Ever Wedding Reception For Me Tonight..........

^You mean we shouldn't just show up the day of, never having talked to the bride or groom? Preposterous.

Quote Originally Posted by musicexpress View Post
    I have been a wedding dj for 31 years, and my best advice to anyone starting is that you need to be prepared. You also need to have the bride and groom make a timeline for you so you know what they expect.

Robert
    Music Express

fresno wedding dj

fresno dj

monterey wedding dj

san luis obispo wedding dj
    I'm usually the one giving the timeline to the B&G ... They fill out a wedding planner....I take the information from that and plan the evening.
    http://soundcloud.com/xtremesound/old-school-1
    In a mood for the 80's Lately!

I give the client an "Event Planner" form for them to fill out & we discuss it if need be. The day of, I use my contract & the Event Planner to provide my services according to the information provided by the client on the Event Planner form.
    My event planner form consists of any special music, what the music is for & when its to be played. It is a basic, general outline of how the event is to unfold as a general rule but, its not a timeline as I have seen some put together in the past with specific times for each activity of the event.

I do not plan events. That's a job for an event planner.... not a DJ IMHO. I do however discuss the event with the client in depth regarding things that I am responsible for. If they need or want advice on other areas of the event, I will be happy to discuss those things with my client as a courtesy, but I will not plan the event, nor will I be in charge of directing an event.
    Last edited by Dix; 08-31-2013 at 07:37 AM.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieland DJ View Post
    I give the client an "Event Planner" form for them to fill out & we discuss it if need be. The day of, I use my contract & the Event Planner to provide my services according to the information provided by the client on the Event Planner form.
    My event planner form consists of any special music, what the music is for & when its to be played. It is a basic, general outline of how the event is to unfold as a general rule but, its not a timeline as I have seen some put together in the past with specific times for each activity of the event.

I do not plan events. That's a job for an event planner.... not a DJ IMHO. I do however discuss the event with the client in depth regarding things that I am responsible for. If they need or want advice on other areas of the event, I will be happy to discuss those things with my client as a courtesy, but I will not plan the event, nor will I be in charge of directing an event.
    This is how I approached it with my client.
    Got the special music they wanted for each event and approximate times so I knew when to be ready.

Unfortunately, most everyone bailed after the food was gone so she cancelled the bouquet and garter tosses. I was planning on having fun with those.
    The last dance got cancelled as well because everyone started cleanup about a half hour before I was done playing. They wanted to clear out of the building ahead of time.

The next one will be "interesting" since that one will be the Metalfest 2013 I posted about earlier.
    Bride is dead set on getting down with the sickness.
    WillieB69

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieland DJ View Post
    I do not plan events. That's a job for an event planner.... not a DJ IMHO.
    Unfortunately in my market I have to be more than just the DJ. Most of the reception halls In my city have no event planner......I'm usually the guy that makes sure the drinks at the head table are filled when the bridal party enters so a proper toast can take place, I hunt the cameraman down so pictures aren't missed for special dances and cake cuttings...I hate this one, but a lot of times I am the guy that releases tables to go through the buffet line...etc etc etc.

I do not advertise or offer this service to my couples, but I feel it is my job to make the night go as smoothly as possible.
    http://soundcloud.com/xtremesound/old-school-1
    In a mood for the 80's Lately!

Quote Originally Posted by iammongo View Post
    I do not advertise or offer this service to my couples, but I feel it is my job to make the night go as smoothly as possible.
    And I applaud you for doing what you feel you need to do to make your business successful
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by iammongo View Post
    Unfortunately in my market I have to be more than just the DJ. Most of the reception halls In my city have no event planner......I'm usually the guy that makes sure the drinks at the head table are filled when the bridal party enters so a proper toast can take place, I hunt the cameraman down so pictures aren't missed for special dances and cake cuttings...I hate this one, but a lot of times I am the guy that releases tables to go through the buffet line...etc etc etc.

Me and you Mongo... I do the same stuff when needed. I am not a wedding planner but I have always controlled the flow of a reception unless a formal Wedding Planner is on site. I do my best to make sure the evening unfolds as planned and that the bride and groom don't have to worry about the timeline, everything gets done and everybody has fun.