Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The "educating people about genres" thread - old moaning gits need to contribute!

Quote Originally Posted by kir mokum View Post
    yeah, i'm referring to the current state of things although i've never been a fan of ram or playaz. suburban base and moving shadow have been silent for at least a decade and GLO is just now putting out new tunes after like a decade of nothing. early hospital was great but now they mostly put out basically bad stadium electrohouse drum'n'bass. med school puts out better stuff but i've pretty much black balled hospital around 2007.
    I feel dated.

Yah, that was well after it stopped appealing to me. Good to know it was a decline in an absolute sense... thought I was just becoming an old curmudgeon that couldn't stand what the kids were listening to these days. I do go to Respect once or twice a year but even there, they play a lot of dubstep.

Actually, I never played RAM (too dark/techy) myself and Playaz showed up right as my interest declined. Probably have like 5 Playaz records. Greatest player to ever play the game. Was mostly into ragga and jump up.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Banned
    Maybe this can be the "old gits discuss shit" thread, then separate threads can be made in the genre sections.

But don't hold on to your knowledge while shouting "you know nothing!" at other folks though, right?

Sweet thread
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sigma again
    "Without music, life would be a mistake" - Fredrich Nietzsche

great thread, lets see how long it goes before a flame war starts tho :p Im happy to contribute when I get some time later today.
    DJF TRANCE CHAMPION 2011
    DEEPER SHADES OF TRANCE - BRINGING YOU THE BIGGEST NAMES IN TRANCE WEEKLY VIA TRANCERADIO.FM

i apologize in advance for the length of this post.

There isn't a definitive genre i want to showcase, but i wanna give a little intro to stuff that you should listen to if you want some interesting House music with a blend of, well, everything else i guess. i'll just list the main labels that got me hooked onto dance music in general, and you can pick apart something you see fit.

Ed Banger Records (French House/Hip-Hop):
    Busy P - The head honcho. Made "Rainbow Man," "To Protect and Entertain," "Pedrophilia." His catalog is kinda short, but you have to respect the dude for managing Daft Punk and putting these huge talents on the map.
    Busy P - Rainbow Man

Justice - Probably the best thing to come out of the label. Their "Cross" album is essential to that rock n roll-ish Electro House.
    Justice - Phantom

DJ Mehdi - Unfortunately has passed away but made some huge French House tunes during the time he was here. Made "I Am Somebody," "Pocket Piano," "Signatune." He also collaborated with Riton to create Carte Blanche. Some great EPs there.
    DJ Mehdi - I Am Somebody feat. Chromeo

Mr. Oizo - The quirkiest producer I've come across. He's made everything from nice Hip-Hop instrumentals to a very stripped down and chaotic kind of sound. Look him up and you'll find all kinds of stuff.
    Mr. Oizo - Positif

Krazy Baldhead - Mostly makes Hip-Hop tracks. Smooth yet complex. "The B-Suite" is my favorite album from him.
    Krazy Baldhead - 1st Movement (Part 2)

Mr. Flash - Was the first person to release an EP on this label. Makes Hip-Hop and French House. His beats are so relaxing and chill. "Eagle Eyes" is amazing and "Domino Part A" is really good too.
    Mr. Flash - Eagle Eyes

Breakbot - Makes incredible Disco House. The "Baby I'm Yours" EP is nice and "Fantasy" is cool. Try and find his remixes. You usually can't go wrong with him.
    Breakbot - Baby I'm Yours feat. Irfane

Feadz - Makes Hip-Hop, but it's a little more fast paced than the other guys who do. His "Happy Meal" EP is kinda fun, but his "Electric Empire" EP is very good.
    Feadz - Edwecker

sebastiAn - The hardest sounding out of the whole group. His sound is so gritty and sharp. His remix album will give you good idea of this. His "Total" album gives you a good idea of his sound as well but also showcases a good amount of other stuff as well.
    sebastiAn - Ross Ross Ross

there are others, but that's who i got into.

Boysnoize Records (House/Techno)
    Boys Noize - Founder of the label unsurprisingly. I was convinced to dive into this dance music by this guy. "Oi Oi Oi" is absolutely essential to Electro House. Also check out "Feel Good (TV OFF)." That song by itself made me want more.
    Boys Noize - Lava Lava

Strip Steve - Big on the Techno side. The "Calcium" track really put him on. He also has made some nice House tracks on his "Micro Mega" album. Highly suggest checking that out.
    Strip Steve & Das Glow - Calcium

Jan Driver - Creates heavy and distorted House Tracks. "Gain Reaction" put him on the map. His "Amatilda" album is sick.
    Jan Driver - Gain Reaction

Shadow Dancer - they do a mix of Techno and House. "Golden Traxe" is a great album by them.
    Shadow Dancer - Soap

Mixmash Records (Electro House) - There aren't specific artists who are actually on the label (they just come and go), so i'd say just follow the label for anything Electro House related. Laidback Luke, the founder, loves to promote up and coming artists, so if you want to know of anybody on the rise, they've probably released something on that label.

Marble (House/Indie Dance/Nu Disco) - Some history: there was a label called Institubes that was discontinued, and some of the people on that label came together to create this label:

Surkin - Techno, House, Hip-Hop, all sorts of stuff. Very well known for chopping up vocals and synths in his tunes. "Radio Fireworks," "White Knight Two," and "Next of Kin" are good examples of this. His "Silver Island" EP is really good as well as his "USA" album. Basically, anything he makes is interesting to listen to. He collaborates with Bobmo to create High Powered Boys and additionally with Para One together to create Marble Players. Those collaborations are really good.
    Surkin - White Knight Two

Para One - Same kind of genres, although a little more on the House side. "Epiphanie" is a classic album for me. He also collaborated with San Serac to create Club & Soda.
    Para One - Turtle Trouble

Bobmo - Produces a laid back kind of House. The bass is very big and full on his tracks. "The Cliff" and "Sonic Soul" are very solid EPs.
    Bobmo - Limestone

Canblaster - Really hard to place a genre on him. He's all over the place. If i had to, i'd say it's a bit of House mixed with a little Breakbeat? Again, ut's really hard to place him, and if you look him up you'll understand. "Chicken Run," "Jetpack," and "Clockworks" are my favorite tunes by him.
    Canblaster - Jetpack

Myd - Hasn't done much, but what he's done is pretty quality and is worth checking out. Check out his "Octodip" and "Freak Andy" EPs.
    Myd - Same Old Brand New

Artists I haven't mentioned yet that you should have a listen:
    Eric Prydz - If you're a Techno guy, check out Cirez D's catalog. Plenty of classics there from "On/Off" to "Mokba."
    Cirez D - On/Off

If you're a Progressive House or Electro House guy, Pryda is the alias you want to look at. Pryda Recordings is a gold mine of tracks.
    Pryda - Power Drive

Crookers - Started off with Fidget Electro House but got less hectic over the years. The "Day N Nite" remix propelled them to fame. "From Then Until Now" is an album that showcases everything they've done, and "Knobbers," "Hummus," and "Il Buono" are classic tracks.
    Crookers - Knobbers

MSTRKRFT - Electro House with a Rock n Roll feel. "The Looks" is a really super album.
    MSTRKRFT - The Looks

Simian Mobile Disco - Techno and Tech House. Their "Attack Sustain Decay Release" album was really good, but they've only gotten better perfecting their sound after each album.
    Simian Mobile Disco - Put Your Hands Together

Kavinsky - Artist whose worked with the likes of the Ed Banger Crew and Daft Punk. His sound is very 80's dance-like.
    Kavinsky - Testarossa Autodrive

hmmmm...i dunno. i could go on and on, but i figured this is a good start for some off the wall House stuff.

EDIT: got rid of the embedded videos and replaced them with links so that my post doesn't gobble space.
    Last edited by Smallz; 08-23-2013 at 01:19 AM.
    My Latest Mix : EDC LAS VEGAS 2023 (05/18/2023)
    Quote Originally Posted by maelstrom99 View Post
    wow this guy has mad talent OP you are doing a great job of promoting him, do you get paid in dick or what

no Jeff Mills

Quote Originally Posted by Adzm00 View Post
    where to start

I'll post a load of names I know, not all of their stuff I like, but its a good starting place. I would encourage posting names and perhaps not "listen to this I play it a lot its amazing" because half the fun is searching through these artists and figuring out your particular style.

Techno and/or tech-house:

Laurent Garnier
    Ben Sims
    Dave Clarke
    Wehbba
    Rolando
    Joey Beltram
    Underground Resistence
    Richie Hawtin
    Carl Craig
    Samuel L Session
    Mr Bizz
    Luigi Rocca
    Bart Skills
    Mihalis Safras
    Adam Beyer
    Dosem
    Alan Fitzpatrick
    Agoria
    Pig & Dan
    Layo & Bushwacka
    Kevin Saunderson
    Marco Bailey
    The Advent
    Mark Broom
    Secret Cinema
    Slam
    Len Faki
    Perc
    Gary Beck

Electronic/Electro

Miss Kittin
    The Hacker
    Anthony Rother
    Vitalic
    Chris McCormack
    Kim Peers

Lots of artists cross lots of the electronic spectrum so, techno, tech-house, house, electro, electronica, and I have hundreds more names, but from this list you should be able to get a good start on finding stuff you like. Happy hunting.

lets also not forget Ben Klock, Marcel Dettmann, Magda, Kenny Larkin, DVS, Extrawelt etc.

It's not a definitive list, just some random names I picked out at almost 1am

Also, I really dislike Ben Klock / Dettman and that whole its hard but goes nowhere sound, hence never posting their stuff and my mixes never contain anything like their sound.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Right let's go through a view genres...

Deep House & Nu-Disco

Labels - Gruuv, 20/20 Vision, Aus, Resonance, Diynamic, OFF, Moda Black, Hot Creations, Play It Down, Futureboogie, Sleazy Deep and Defected to name a few

As far as Artists go I have a real few favourites when it comes to deep house. I love just about everything that's on Audiojack's label, Gruuv. The key to a good label is having an identity and their brand of deep house is top of the bill if you ask me.

Artists I would suggest listening to:

Audiojack, Dale Howard, Jobe, Waifs & Strays, waFF, Paolo Rocco, Luv Jam, Jesse Rose, Huxley, Hot Since 82, Jamie Jones, Detroit Swindle & Bicep.

That would put you on the right in regard to deep house IMO.

Techno

Techno labels I would categorically would say you have to check out are:

Also these are mainly pure techno labels, not any crap crossover tech-house that's on 1605 and if there is tech-house on their label it's generally pretty good (looking at Coyu's label Suara) . ...((I wasn't gonna do a tech houe one after techno, but I probs will now))

- Drumcode, Soma, BEK, Sleaze, Figure, Rekids, Cocoon, Octopus to name a few.

I'm big a fan of the raw sounding kind of techno. Guess a lot of folk would describe it as kind of industrial.

Would check out Slam, A.Mochi, Gary Beck, Len Faki, Hans Bouffmyhre, Kyle Geiger, Lex Gorrie, Speedy J, Flug, Maetrik, Truncate/Audio Injection, Yan Cook, Monoloc, Brian Sanhaji, Markus Suckut, Mark Reeve, Justin Berkovi, Bas Mooy, Lewis Fautzi, Clouds, Developer, Alan Fitzpatrick, Ben Sims and Adam Beyer. That's who kind of dominates my techno library.

Personally I think the Scottish techno is perhaps the best in the world so I would track out releases on Soma, Bek, Sleaze and Clutch Trax constantly. Harvey McKay is another name that should be on that list, but doesn't really fall into the 'raw' category.

PS. BOYS NOIZE IS NOT TECHNO. I WISH HE WOULD STOP CALLING HIS MUSIC TECHNO. IT'S ELECTRO.

Tech-House

Let's get this straight. There's good tech-house and then there is really shitty generic sounding rubbish tech house.

1605 use to be good, but UMEK is crap now and so is most of his label. Also stay clear from Toolroom. Crap.

Labels - Tronic, Saved, Rejected are the top 3 tech-house labels in the world for me. Each one respectively owned by probably the 3 biggest DJs in the world Christian Smith, Nic Fanciulli and Joris Voorn. Other labels to look out for are Coyu's Suara, Tanzmann's Moon Harbour Recordings and Steve Lawler's Viva.

Other tech-house artists to check out - Mr Bizz (techno too), Metodi Hristov, Macromism, Jay Lumen, Loco Dice, Stefano Noferini, Subb-an, Technasia, KiNK, Nicole Moudaber, Nick Curly and Gary Beck also has a tonne of good tech-house released too.

DONE. I'm quite proud of my collection compared to other 19 year olds ...and I didn't even get started on electro!

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Personally I think the Scottish techno is perhaps the best in the world
    Yeah, it's almost as good as British techno
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"