Thread: What 'affordable' lavalier system is best

What 'affordable' lavalier system is best

My lavalier is garbage. I am looking for a new wireless mic AND lavalier. Preferably one base unit that can handle both at the same time or, it not, 2 smaller units. There was recently a post talking about wireless mics but there was no mention of a lavalier. So what lavalier do you use/recommend?

Also, do you see the need to have BOTH a lavalier and a wireless mike that can be used at the same time or do you make due with just one or the other?

I use the line6 V35 system. I like it a lot I use it for the mic, wireless sound for slide show/powerpoint presentations, or to run wireless remote speakers. I have both the mic and the lav systems its nice because I only have one reciever in my case and can switch channels to use both mics with it or add the second receiver and have both. Its about 600 out of pocket for both though so its not really cheap but as mics go for me its the best for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Galager View Post
    My lavalier is garbage. I am looking for a new wireless mic AND lavalier. Preferably one base unit that can handle both at the same time or, it not, 2 smaller units. There was recently a post talking about wireless mics but there was no mention of a lavalier. So what lavalier do you use/recommend?

Also, do you see the need to have BOTH a lavalier and a wireless mike that can be used at the same time or do you make due with just one or the other?
    I think your terminology is a little off. A "wireless microphone" is just a receiver with a body pack or hand held transmitter. The "lavalier" refers to the microphone element that attaches to a body pack. Your are correct that in the industry "lavalier" is often used to refer to a wireless microphone with a bodypack transmitter and a lavalier element, but I would refer to the other type as a "hand held", not a "wireless mike".

The most cost effective lav is the Countryman B3. DPA and Sennheiser both make premium lavs but those break easily and are very expensive (over $500 an element). The cheapest bodypack transmitter/receiver combo I recommend is the Shure ULXS system. Most reputable wireless systems allow you to pick "groups" and "channels" for using multiple systems. Each receiver can only pick up one channel from one device at a time. If you have two transmitters and one receiver set to the same channel, you will have horrible interference.

Another note: head-worn mics like the Countryman E6 work much, much better but some people freak out about wearing them (I solve that problem by not providing lavs at all, though most of my wireless work is in musical theater. That trick can get ugly especially with photographers, video, etc...).
    Last edited by jayhwk; 08-18-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robdogg View Post
    I use the line6 V35 system. I like it a lot I use it for the mic, wireless sound for slide show/powerpoint presentations, or to run wireless remote speakers. I have both the mic and the lav systems its nice because I only have one reciever in my case and can switch channels to use both mics with it or add the second receiver and have both. Its about 600 out of pocket for both though so its not really cheap but as mics go for me its the best for the money.
    Are you using the factory lav? I have yet to encounter a good factory lav mic.

I do use the line6 provided lav. It works for what I use it for. Honestly I bought the system for using wireless for speakers and powerpoint presentations and the mic was a bonus. I have had no issues using it for speakers and ceremonies.

I've had great luck with the Sennheiser xs12. Groom and pastor. Sometimes I can mic the bride but it is difficult. Usually I need help from a bridesmaid for hidden placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Party DJ View Post
    I've had great luck with the Sennheiser xs12. Groom and pastor. Sometimes I can mic the bride but it is difficult. Usually I need help from a bridesmaid for hidden placement.
    ... Well... that depends on just how friendly the bride is...

I usually mic the groom only, as most ministers project their voice from habit. If I only mic the minister, they overwhelm the couple, and no one can hear them saying their vows.

Although, once I purchase another wireless lapel set, I may start offering to mic the minister also. I currently only have one good set... Sennheiser, although I do have a Shure PGX set that is ok for short distances or more rural settings (less chance of interference from other microphones).

One problem with only mic-ing the groom, is that once the newlyweds go back down the aisle together, the minister no longer has a mic to invite everyone to the reception... because the mic went down the aisle with the groom. Any guesses as to when I realized that minor issue?