Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did I get a bad light or am I in need of some knowledge?

Question Did I get a bad light or am I in need of some knowledge?

See a post further on for an update...apparently the mini kinta is good...I'm just lost on why it works funky like.

I am new to DMX.
    everything is new.

I got a chauvet obey 40 controller. Each fixture is assigned a starting address 16 apart - so 1, 17, 33, 49, 65, etc.

Have 2 chauvet par 64 leds. set up as fixtures 1 (address 1) and 2 (address 17), all works as it should, running as 7 channel fixtures.

I got a chauvet mini kinta today, 3 channels is the only choice. Auto works as it should, so the light 'works'.

I hooked up to the DMX as fixture 3 (address 33) and well, everything goes to hell. Tried addr 65 too. The manual is almost worse that useless.
    I plugged it by itself and it seemed to work on DMX...not smoothly, but not sure what it should do, but it seemed to work.

OK, plugged in the other lights and well, it's on when they're off, they no longer work properly (red channel is red and green at the same time? same for the others). Weird. And the DMX light on the kinta flashes and it does nothing.
    OK..unplug the other lights and the kinta alone and the dmx light does not light up.

I tried every cord I have (5) and it makes no difference.

Is there something I'm missing? Order they get plugged in, turned on or what?
    Last edited by prof_fate; 08-18-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Sounds like a bad cable.

Address the mini Kinta as 33 and make it the only fixture on the controller. If you gain control, there is a bad cable.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 billESC1973@gmail.com

I have noticed similar issues in DMX with my Kintas as well. I thought maybe it was just me not knowing what I'm doing with DMX. The thought also crossed my mind that you can't mix lights like that? (Pars are 7 channel but the Kintas are only 3 channels.) I don't know if that makes a difference or not though.
    WillieB69

Sounds like a lack of DMX experience to me, just because you say it "seems to work" when its the only one plugged in. Are you certain that you are adjusting the channels on the lights themselves to match what is on the DMX controller?

Well, DMX can be a fuss at times. I had issues as well as soon as I hook up a fifth light. Terminators did not work for me. But when I use a DMX splitter cable hooked on the main DMX cable from the Obey 40, hook the 4 pars on one end of splitter. Then another 4 lights (not pars) on the other end of splitter, it's OK. I don't have anymore issues. And I am controlling all 8 lights via DMX! It seems like the further the lights are from the Obey 40, the more erratic. So that's when I had the idea of the DMX splitter. It's like daisy chaining 4 lights 2 times instead of trying to daisy chain 8 lights. DMX just does not work after a 4th light, for me anyway
    Last edited by fueledbymusic; 08-17-2013 at 12:07 AM.

^^^ Are you using DMX cable or mic cable?
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 billESC1973@gmail.com

dmx cable
    the kinta does not not work on DMX at all now. On the back by the led readout there are 4 small leds that light up for the mode it's in. I get no light when it's hooked up for dmx. If I add a terminator or second fixture the dmx light blinks, and the fixture comes on but acts erratically and causes the other lights on the cable to act erratic also.

If its just a bad light i'll exchange it, but if this is typical of what kintas are like i'll look for something else.

It doesn't work at all when plugged in? There's nothing on the rear display, when plugged into DMX?

That's not right. I have 3 of them and none of them do that.

Quote Originally Posted by robare99 View Post
    It doesn't work at all when plugged in? There's nothing on the rear display, when plugged into DMX?

That's not right. I have 3 of them and none of them do that.
    The address is on the display then it goes dark after a minute or two. and the DMX 'mode' light does not come on.
    I'm thinking I got a bad light.
    I'll try and exchange it tomorrow and see if I have better luck with another one.

Do you terminate or use splitters, or just daisy chain all your lights and they work on DMX?

I daisy chain them all. If I'm doing Uplighting I'll split the signal with a Chauvet Data Stream 4. I have a bunch of lights going at once, up to 23 fixtures with no problems.

You can see 3 Mini Kintas in this video. From the rear, they're on the bottom, at the ends and the middle.

Click here for mobile viewing.
    Last edited by robare99; 08-17-2013 at 10:37 AM.