Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: MP3 versus WAV, FLAC, AIFF, or...

It'll take the same path IF the filter cuts off completely at or below the Nyquist frequency. If it doesn't.. it won't. You are ignoring this important point. The only signal possible at 20Khz is a sine wave.. yes, because any other shape would by definition contain components above 20K. Hence the need for an absolutely strict filter of frequencies above 20K.. or more specifically, one that cuts off as completely as possible at or below Nyquist which would be 22.05K.

Look, start with the assumption that I actually know what I'm talking about.. then read what I said again.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Look, start with the assumption that I actually know what I'm talking about.. then read what I said again.
    I've read what you wrote multiple times. I'm not ignoring any points, I'm studying them. The filter is covered in the video. I didn't doubt anywhere that you don't know what your talking about. I didn't realise we were disagreeing, just expanding.

As for this "The only signal possible at 20Khz is a sine wave." The only signal possible at any given frequency is a sine wave. Any other shape is a result of the mathematical relationship of the other sine waves.

All i stated was in my opinion, jumping to 24bits holds more benefit than increasing sample rate to 48k... But i suppose it depends on what one is doing. It could be debated, if wanting to slow down the audio, reducing the pitch, the 48k would have some extra benefit. However, the frequency content up there is so fast that shaped dither would seriously negate those benefits. The headroom 24 bit audio gets is well worth it. Especially a 32 bit float, it practically impossible to clip between insert with in a DAW. To which i only discovered a few weeks back, i was committing a serious crime of.

I am open to the debate and continually looking for a reason to start running my studio at 48k. When all my samples are 44k and I master to 44k or mp3. My CPU already strained.

I will add. This thread is finally getting on to the juicy stuff, content of worth, where we can learn, grow our understanding. I did go to rep your post on the noise floor, it was good information to highlight. But, apparently i have to spread it around some. I'm still undecided though. In an already noisy environment, surely any increase in dynamic range, the reduction of adding more noise, even if slight, is an improvement, especially under extreme amplification. (edit: but just to be clear, i have no problem with MP3's, I can't hear the difference, my ears are dead)!
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 11-20-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Yea 24 or even 32 bit is important in mixing applications where you are summing lots of signals and things are not at their optimum level yet. But 32 bit is useless for the final product, and 24 bit has only limited usefulness, because once the material is mastered it it going to be normalized up to digital FS, which means that the lowest signals are going to be significantly below the noise floor. I've listened to 24 bit vs 16 bit versions of the same material direct from producers I know and yea there is a difference, but in party environment you could never hear it.

But so far as the sampling rate issue, yea if you are shooting for a CD release then 44.1 is the way to go, because you'll have to resample anyway. But for WAV/FLAC/AIFF, 48 is going to give better results in a lot of cases because of the filter issue.

Ahhh Yes! Having the file at 24bit is next to pointless. What I've been referring to is the engine itself.

Edit: And when i say engine, i don't mean player, I mean DAW or DJ software.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 11-22-2017 at 06:51 AM.