Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MP3 versus WAV, FLAC, AIFF, or...

Quote Originally Posted by Atomisk View Post
    Good guide. Sticky?

flac/wav ftw. Everything should be in lossless. I see no reason why not - HD space is insanely cheap nowadays.
    pff aiff is where it is at. lossless quality + tags, is recognized by almost any recent software AND is carried as a standard at beatport. WIN.

but honestly any lossless format will do. my philosphy is if it is available in lossless then why not? HDDs are huge these days. only a matter of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarnYourKeep
    name one dj that can replicate richie's drums in a minimal techno way, this coming from a plastikman background...then again i figure trance heads would respond this way they always seek the BUILD UP AND DROP THE BASS BRO

Quote Originally Posted by Atomisk View Post
    Lolwut I can hear the difference between 320 and lossless in my HDJ-2000s and those are NOT accurate headphones.
    We are not talking about headphones in your bedroom. We are talking about playing those songs out on loud sound systems in clubs.

If I can get lossless, I do. But 99% of the promos I receive are 320 mp3s. I am on many of the same promo lists as top techno DJs, so if 320 is good enough for Chris Liebing and Carl Cox, it is good enough for me.

Yeah…it's better to play a bootleg of an awesome track that you recorded onto a walkman in the artist's basement than to not play it…but that's not what this is about either. If it's available lossless, mp3s provide zero benefits. Those tracks aren't available lossless (to you, in that way), so the comparison is moot.

yup. played on one the other day, 320 still sounds great and all the big time djs play them. no one can hear the difference except maybe tony andrews himself, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkleen View Post
    We are not talking about headphones in your bedroom. We are talking about playing those songs out on loud sound systems in clubs.
    So you are acknowledging he can hear the difference in his headphones?

Well, there goes your point...
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by princesultan View Post
    yup. played on one the other day, 320 still sounds great and all the big time djs play them. no one can hear the difference except maybe tony andrews himself, lol.
    ...or anyone that just listens closely.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Yeah…it's better to play a bootleg of an awesome track that you recorded onto a walkman in the artist's basement than to not play it…but that's not what this is about either. If it's available lossless, mp3s provide zero benefits. Those tracks aren't available lossless (to you, in that way), so the comparison is moot.
    The benefit is it doesnt take a hour to download a track you received from a mate in the UK.

I am all for the theoretical world where Tony Andrews lives - where everyone has 50K dollars for a pair of speakers and flawless tube amps and processing and wav files are the bare minimum, but in the real world, 320 is what most people are playing and it does just fine for 99% of all applications.

Snoborder, on beatport just stockpile the music you want in your hold bin then after a few weeks find a promocode online for around 25% off and buy up whats in your hold bin. That'll make up for the extra cost for loss-less.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    So you are acknowledging he can hear the difference in his headphones?

Well, there goes your point...
    Unless you have 500 people inside his headphones, NO that doesnt refute my point at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkleen View Post
    The benefit is it doesnt take a hour to download a track you received from a mate in the UK.
    Weird. It doesn't take that long to download an 80MB file for me. Maybe if someone's internet sucks. Still…how much of a hurry are you in? Still quicker than mailing them.