Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What genre?

Quote Originally Posted by disparate View Post
    Paying your dues - I guess it's true to say I played a bit of Daft Punk, Justice, Digitalism etc back at my mid 2000s student houseparty "bring some records!" days, never anything genuinely shit though!

Except the Justice bit
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

It's very good and important to be diverse in your set. Don't be banging out the hard top40 house/trance tunes at the beginning of your set. Start off with more mellow, beat oriented deep house or rhythmic moombahton and then when the dance floor gets packed go for the kill. diversity and spontaneity is very important
    Quote Originally Posted by .Chris View Post
    Hi,

I'm pretty new to DJ'ing, played around a fair bit on decks but nothing serious. I want to get into it a bit more, but every time I decide on a genre to pursue, I hear a track in another genre, and think "actually, I wanna concentrate on this genre!" - For example, going from deep house stuff like Hot Since 82 or Dusky to rhythmic stuff like Ruede Hagelstein or Mia Dora.

For a beginner: Is it really important to create a set out of music that sounds very similar, or is it okay to be a bit more diverse?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Chris

With the advent of digital setups such as CDJ's and DVS. It is much easier to have variety in your set. I remember when I first started Djing with my turntables I had the same feelings as you. I started by playing Hardcore/Gabber, but then I heard Happy Hardcore and wanted to play that. Then after getting into Hard Trance I decided to start buying those kinds of records. So I ended up having a lot of variety in genres but would have no wiggle room for playing anything different in my sets. With things like beatport is is much easier to drop $30 or $40 on a bunch of tracks and play them out.

Regards,
    D4rk0wl

Hi, I say have variety, but make it all add up - a party break doesn't go with a roots dub track, yet a future bass track might.You can switch vibes within 3 tracks, but there has to be a thread of continuity.

and ps; I play strictly vinyl - forget what anyone says about DVS being easier for variety; the variety you can have is ruled by your imagination, not the format
    Last edited by dlove; 07-26-2013 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    and ps; I play strictly vinyl - forget what anyone says about DVS being easier for variety; the variety you can have is ruled by your imagination, not the format
    I have just recently (about a month) turned to what I used to think of as the dark side. I invested in an audio 6 box. Format does not limit your variety, the cost of shipping vinyl does I still prefer to spin standard vinyl, and I still invest wayyy to much in furthering my record collection much less it is a lot easier to show up to a gig with a vinyl crate rather than your computer just to find out the event is using serato. But the idea of $1.50 per song from beatport for a wide variety is a lot better than $10 - $15 per record

I would say some Mia Dora and Dusky in the same set is pretty standard procedure

Quote Originally Posted by d4rk0wl View Post
    I have just recently (about a month) turned to what I used to think of as the dark side. I invested in an audio 6 box. Format does not limit your variety, the cost of shipping vinyl does I still prefer to spin standard vinyl, and I still invest wayyy to much in furthering my record collection much less it is a lot easier to show up to a gig with a vinyl crate rather than your computer just to find out the event is using serato. But the idea of $1.50 per song from beatport for a wide variety is a lot better than $10 - $15 per record
    Personally, I've never been tempted with a download code - I view them as worthless. If you said to me you had 'X in your collection', then said, but it's a download code, Id say 'you don't really have it, then.

and no apologies for my snobbery; I'm quite aware that I'm a relic from the past
    Last edited by dlove; 07-27-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Play what you like mate, the stuff you really love, that's the most important thing by about a million miles.

If you're still doing this in three years then you can probably begin to think about sculpting a sound particular to you using the music you own.
    Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post

I dunno - I mostly buy music on vinyl but I'd also have to add "the space in your house and record box" and "your bank account" as limitations

I've found DVS is great for adding a bit more variety without spending too much money on music, I still try to buy the best tracks in each genre on wax though.

Quote Originally Posted by disparate View Post
    I dunno - I mostly buy music on vinyl but I'd also have to add "the space in your house and record box" and "your bank account" as limitations

I've found DVS is great for adding a bit more variety without spending too much money on music, I still try to buy the best tracks in each genre on wax though.
    haha, yep; I spend my last penny on vinyl, often - go without decent shampoo & all the other luxuries a lot First World Problems!

And I know a fair few DJ's who use digital, yet still maintain impressive vinyl collections - lots of arguments for playing digital, I won't disagree; I'm just a purist for wax.