Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st bar night

1st bar night

I went to a local hole in wall last night and only 16 people were there on a Sat night with no music. After talking to owner I got a spot on Sat nights doing top 40. My question is since this is my 1st time having my own night. What should I do to draw people? Any advice on shot specials or themes I can recommend to owner? I'm getting paid decently in a flat fee and since its so dead I can totally make this into a cool spot for sat's being I have a blank canvas to work with. Also how much should I ask in alcohol comps. Any advice you guys can help with will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
    "It's better to give than to receive. Especially advice. "
    Mark Twain

"Bankrupt Barshots"

...That's the only idea I got for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    Did someone mention hookers?
    Quote Originally Posted by RDRCK View Post
    am not brony.

what kinda bar?
    what kinda location?
    what is the max capacity of the bar?
    will the 16 people already in the bar like top 40?
    how many friends will come support this every week?
    will the bar owner pay for advertising?
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Troy View Post
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.

Great questions. Bar will prob hold 200 ppl plus another 50 on outdoor smoking patio. Bar won't pay much for advertising but with digital age shouldn't be too expensive. The small group of regulars just want to get drunk and prob will be fine with music. The bar has Kareoke on fri nights. It's seen more as a dive bar but has a ton of potential. It has good food specials throughout week and is not known for its nightlife. I have a crowed that will turn out weekly prob 40 the 1st weekend just to see what deal is than most likely 15-20 the following sat's. i have a few younger buddies that are looking for a bar to call home so they will promote it as well .I'm looking to make it a cool spot on sat's as its right down street from my house and there is no good party bars in vicinity
    Mark Twain

Went with a ladies night theme with some girlie drink specials. I figure if I can get girls to show up the guys will follow. (the smart ones at least) 1st night i start is august 17th. Gives me 3 wks of prep time. im pretty nervous. Here is the flyer

Mark Twain

Needs more pink
    am not brony.

Quote Originally Posted by DougMore View Post
    Needs more pink
    thats what I was thinking lol Does it look bad?
    Mark Twain

Not "bad" per-say...but it does look pink busy. There are plenty of other members who'd give you better flyer advice than I
    am not brony.

thx. its just for digital distribution so im not printing them out. i appreciate your feedback though
    Mark Twain

In my opinion themes like ladies nights makes your event look cheap and actually discourages customers, obviously this is just my opinion and I'm not having a go here in anyway.

Also, drinks offers are often discouraged because the owner is looking to increase their take for the evening and won't agree to any drinks promotions until they can guarantee that they will turn a profit despite reducing their prices. If you've actually got some decent drinks promos then well played.

I will say this, if you want to be a success you have invite your friends, all of them, then invite them again and again and call them individually on the day to make sure they're coming. Get them to invite their friends and keep bugging them about it. Set up a facebook page and keep plugging it everywhere.

You can do all the fancy promos you want but ultimately it just comes down to networking.

However the benefit of this hard work is this: if you have a relatively empty bar and you can get your crew and their friends down there, then very quickly this place is likely to become 'your' place, where you and your friends go to hear the music they like and hang out with their buddies. Within a few events you have a happy bar owner who has a new clientèle and you are well on your way to creating a little scene that you and your friends/network can call your own. IMO from then on in promotional work and getting gigs actually begins to get slightly easier as you've made a name for yourself and seriously helped a bar owner to turn a profit and create a customer base which you can use when speaking to other owners/managers/promoters etc.

Good luck whatever you decide to do though, and never give up!
    Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds