Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner buying his first digital DJ setup. Is this a good setup?

Quote Originally Posted by fat8ack View Post
    This modular talk lately has got me very interested. If only I was rich, i would buy 2xX1, 2xF1 and 1xZ2........thats sound like a fun get up.
    You can take one of those X1's out of the mix...and you can sub the Z2 with a Z1

MONEY SAVIN'
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    Did someone mention hookers?
    Quote Originally Posted by RDRCK View Post
    am not brony.

Quote Originally Posted by DougMore View Post
    You can take one of those X1's out of the mix...and you can sub the Z2 with a Z1

MONEY SAVIN'

true, True, TRUE!!!! See what I am sayin, shit is gonna/could get outta hand!!!
    If you aint havin fun you aint havin nothin. http://www.facebook.com/fat8ack
    http://soundcloud.com/fat8ack

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cullen View Post
    The S2 is a fine choice, although personally I'd go down a more modular route and get an X1 Mk2 and a Z1, but that's just me. At the risk of this spiralling into a sync vs beatmatching debate, I personally feel that in this day and age there are more important things for you to be worrying about (like EQing and phrasing) than beatmaching; and not having jogwheels will force you to learn how to properly grid your tracks.
    At the sync vs beatmatch debate all I have to say is Richie Hawtin. <3.

When choosing my first controller it was between the s2 and mixtrack pro. I ultimately went with the mix track pro. It was cheaper and at first I wasn't sure if I'd stick with it so I didn't want to spend too much on a controller. I really like how the jog wheels are bigger and more suited for scratching which is something I'd like to try.

I will say though, the s2 is much better for beat juggling and effects if you're into that.

I'm not sure how much you're finding a s2 for, but the s4 is only $599 until the end of August. If djing is something you're 100% going to stick with. The s4 might not be a bad investment.

I personally feel that in this day and age there are more important things for you to be worrying about (like EQing and phrasing) than beatmaching
    There isn't a single DJ that I admire that can't beatmatch, EQ and phrase at the same time unless they're running 4 decks.

When I think of creativity on 2 decks using sync, I think of someone like Craze.
    Last edited by Finnish_Fox; 07-17-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

beatmatch, EQ and phrase at the same time.

At the same damn time?

If you aint havin fun you aint havin nothin. http://www.facebook.com/fat8ack
    http://soundcloud.com/fat8ack

There isn't a single DJ that I admire that can't beatmatch, EQ and phrase at the same time unless they're running 4 decks.

When I think of creativity on 2 decks using sync, I think of someone like Craze.
    I saw Shiftee at the Hamilton DMC's a few weeks ago. He showed true creativity while using sync!

...I feel that beatmatching makes you a better DJ because you aren't flipping through 16 tracks in 10 minutes. If you do beatmatch, and can get that many songs out, than you're probably pretty dope.
    Did someone mention hookers?
    Quote Originally Posted by RDRCK View Post
    am not brony.

The S2 is a fine choice, although personally I'd go down a more modular route and get an X1 Mk2 and a Z1, but that's just me. At the risk of this spiralling into a sync vs beatmatching debate, I personally feel that in this day and age there are more important things for you to be worrying about (like EQing and phrasing) than beatmaching; and not having jogwheels will force you to learn how to properly grid your tracks.
    Until your computer has a retard moment and you have to manually beatmatch... and you can't.

And beatmatching teaches you more than how to beatmatch, it teaches you so much more about timing and phrasing itself.

Some of this advice you have been dishing out has been utterly ridiculous, with a clear bias in favour of ditching all other equipment and going down the controller and sync route. Out of curiosity, how long have you been DJing?

The fact is each setup has pros and cons to it, it is really up to the idividual to decide what they are more comfortable with. However, there is never really an excuse not to learn a particular skill, learning all processes and skills can only lead you to be a better overall DJ, whereas ditching one because you don't think it is relevant is going to cause you problems. On top of that learning one skill improves another area, or several areas which are important to DJing.
    Last edited by Adzm00; 07-18-2013 at 09:01 AM.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Quote Originally Posted by fat8ack View Post
    At the same damn time?
    ...yup, at the same damn time.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by DougMore View Post
    I saw Shiftee at the Hamilton DMC's a few weeks ago. He showed true creativity while using sync!

...I feel that beatmatching makes you a better DJ because you aren't flipping through 16 tracks in 10 minutes. If you do beatmatch, and can get that many songs out, than you're probably pretty dope.

If you know the bpm of your track and can understand percentages beatmatching should only take you 5-10 seconds. .8% = 1 bpm. So if your track playing is 128 and the track you want to bring in is a 126 you go +1.6% and voila you are nearly beatmatched and just need to fiddle with the pitch a little to get it perfect.