Thread: 10 Albums That Will Restore Your Faith in Jazz?

10 Albums That Will Restore Your Faith in Jazz?

According to the author anyway.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/54...-faith-in-jazz

Haven't had time to delve into this list, but the only playable link, #10 on the list, sounds promising.
    I can see playing something like that during dinner. I suspect the rest of the list is somewhat similar.

So does anyone else know of these artists?
    Prefer them for private listening?
    Any use to DJ's in your opinion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

It really depends on your audience. I personally listen to jazz and Robert Glasper and his band mates are a constant favorite. Black Radio is more contemporary flavored and is great. But Double Booked, Canvas, his other works will fit the bill for any Jazz that you may need for your gigs.

Esperanza Spalding is hot as well.

Hm, haven't heard of a lot of those. Dirty dozen brass band is more kind of Afro-Cuban street shuffles and swing.

Ill take a listen, but this list seems more of new stuff be jazz groups that are good and listenable by many. But if you're actually 'in the scene' of jazz, youll find this list is more like the radio charts of jazz. My brother is a jazz performance major in grad school, and jazz is still alive and kickin in its own movement, even if not the general population. And the 'new' jazz is nothing short of incredible theory and musicality. But wouldn't probably be popular like this other stuff because its mathematically out of most listeners range of 'listenable', unless you're a big jazz guy already

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Que Yi View Post
    It really depends on your audience. I personally listen to jazz and Robert Glasper and his band mates are a constant favorite. Black Radio is more contemporary flavored and is great. But Double Booked, Canvas, his other works will fit the bill for any Jazz that you may need for your gigs.

Esperanza Spalding is hot as well.
    I listened to Laura's album and its refreshing. There are some dinner tracks on there.

Jose James's release is good a well. He's on Blue Note along with Robert Glasper. They teamed up on a couple of tracks that are IMO why Jazz is very much alive. Can't say enough how new artists are pushing the boundaries in Jazz. I've been listening to drummer Chris "Daddy" Dave way when he drummed for Mint Condition. His playing is out of this world.