Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So umm yeah at $1,000+ a deck, why are ppl still buying technics still?

If no one was buying them, they wouldn't be priced that expensive. And why do you care if you think the cheaper ones are better...? just don't buy em then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sween View Post
    And why do you care if you think the cheaper ones are better...? just don't buy em then.
    Because this continuous perpetuation of the myth of Technics being the best, means you keep having to use those P.O.S. turntables everywhere you go. They were the best DJ turntable in the 1970s, but this is the 2010s & there's a lot better turntables out there than anything Technics makes. DJ wise & Hi-Fi wise.

BS.

5char

You are speaking subjectively. You don't think they are the best anymore. Lots of people do. If you play at a club, put it in your rider that you require specific decks to play.

The prices went up because the demand is still here. There must be a reason why people will pay more than the stanton price. I prefer the technics feel myself and I can speak since I bought some stantons, only kept them for a couple of months. I prefer the pitch curve response on the technics instead of the instant response on stantons.

That's my 2 cents while some are crusading against it. Don't buy it if you don't like it, let others make their own opinion and bring their own input. There is a non-technics thread already for those who haven't noticed, you can make all the praise/bashing you want there.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Compared to Technics' SL-1200 series prices, Pioneer CDJ prices are dirt cheap.
    apples and oranges to an absurd level. CDJs can't play records as far as I am concerned and vice versa. The stanton/technics debate is exactly like PC v Mac: absolutely fucking pointless, buy what you need or the best you can afford within your budget. Making claims about stanton being better than technics all based on the brand new price is absolutely pointless, ludicrous, and irrelevant.
    Last edited by Manu; 03-07-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    I prefer the pitch curve response on the technics instead of the instant response on stantons.
    You know…I never thought about that before, but I agree. Now…a lot of the super OEM fanboys will point out that some of them have adjustable torque, which would probably fix that. But, I agree. I find it easier to ride pitch on Technics than anything else. Maybe it's just familiarity, but I like how you can just start moving the fader and when it starts catching up to where it's supposed to be, start moving it back…I think it gives smoother results.

Pioneer–as an example of actually instantaneous changes–feels weird working that way IMHO…it's all set, bend, check, redo…a very different way of working. The high-torque tables are somewhere in between, and it might be that they just kind of fail at both modes.

The T.120c was kinda cool…I liked that they had pitch bend buttons. But…meh.

I still think a TT with a technics-derived motor and good, digital pitch (like the m5g) and a built-in SSL/TSP interface would be awesome. But I'm not convinced that's going to happen.

a local dj shop lost one of my techs..i found one off craigslist for about 360..he was selling the pair for 650..but i asked for him to split it up... and the shop just covered what i paid for it....never doing business there again.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Because this continuous perpetuation of the myth of Technics being the best, means you keep having to use those P.O.S. turntables everywhere you go. They were the best DJ turntable in the 1970s, but this is the 2010s & there's a lot better turntables out there than anything Technics makes. DJ wise & Hi-Fi wise.
    turntables really haven't evolved at all since the 1970s.
    Feature wise the Technics is not very good, but open it up and you see why it is the industry standard.
    'George Clinton meeting Kraftwerk in an elevator'

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    You know…I never thought about that before, but I agree. Now…a lot of the super OEM fanboys will point out that some of them have adjustable torque, which would probably fix that. But, I agree. I find it easier to ride pitch on Technics than anything else. Maybe it's just familiarity, but I like how you can just start moving the fader and when it starts catching up to where it's supposed to be, start moving it back…I think it gives smoother results.
    And that's exactly it,pitch riding. The pitch on the stantons feels a lot more straightforward, like it's built for digital DJing. Now I can't give a full opinion on that since I still don't play on serato or others. At the end of the day, what matters is what comes out of the speakers and if people like it or not. Pointless technical bickering, good banter still

I think the one advantage of the Super OEM tables is that none of them–to my knowledge–have a click at 0% pitch, and there's no dead-space on the pitch fader.

But…I think there are ways around that. Those are the only features I miss in going back to mk2s, and it's not that big of a deal. Though, if I got the option, I'd upgrade to m5gs…or just install m5g pitch faders in my mk2s…if you can do that……I should check on that. The silver is really starting to grow on me.