Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So umm yeah at $1,000+ a deck, why are ppl still buying technics still?

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Compared to Technics' SL-1200 series prices, Pioneer CDJ prices are dirt cheap.
    You're kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    With Pioneer you're getting more CD player than the competition, for your extra dollars. With Technics you're paying extra dollars for less of a turntable than what the competition is offering.

bought a couple of 1200s about 3 years back for about 450 bones off djf1.0. Some folks are probably selling them at exorbitant costs since they've been discontinued & there are folks that will pay it just because they don't know any better or aren't shopping around.

Quote Originally Posted by c-hawk View Post
    bought a couple of 1200s about 3 years back for about 450 bones off djf1.0. Some folks are probably selling them at exorbitant costs since they've been discontinued & there are folks that will pay it just because they don't know any better or aren't shopping around.
    It really is sad to see people on Craigslist selling their technics (in fair condition) for $400 each because they're following a pricing trend. What's worse is that since nobody is pricing their Technics at the "old" prices, buyers are willing to pay $400, the new "norm". Really depressing.

With Pioneer you're getting more CD player than the competition, for your extra dollars. With Technics you're paying extra dollars for less of a turntable than what the competition is offering.
    do remember that its not just features that are included in the Technics price. Its reliability, sound quality, excellent tonearm (no play whatsoever), good isolation, a motor that in terms of wow and flutter puts the most expensive direct drives to shame, and great servicability
    'George Clinton meeting Kraftwerk in an elevator'

Quote Originally Posted by Estacy View Post
    do remember that its not just features that are included in the Technics price. Its reliability, sound quality, excellent tonearm (no play whatsoever), good isolation, a motor that in terms of wow and flutter puts the most expensive direct drives to shame, and great servicability
    Are you saying Pioneer's decks aren't made well?
    The n00bist formerly known as Pyroja | Battle Record: 0-1
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut69 View Post
    kept thinking to myself "damn this woman has two kids". was kinda weird, but kinda awesome at the same time

People will always pay a price for Techs for many years to continue. Just the way it is.

I bought a pair of 1200's 4 years ago for £350 with about 60 records, 4 headshells, loads of spare needles, boxes, manuals.. Basically everything and more..

A month ago i bought a pair of 1210's beat up with shit needles and nothing apart from the decks for £250 and that was down from £300. It's hard to get deals up my way, and i was delighted with my deal.

No, you're not.

Just like the Technics vs. whatever comparison, CDJs usually loose in terms of features when compared to any of their competitors. In some ways, Denon makes more of a CD deck for less money. Pioneer CDJs are popular because they're used in clubs, and they're used in clubs because they're insanely reliable. They're expensive because reliability is worth more than features. Just like Technics.

The difference is that Pioneer CDJs don't last nearly as long as Technics turntables and don't hold their value quite as well…there's a lot more to go wrong, so buying used is more risky…and they just plain cost more, since the only ones that feel even close to the tactile quality of other high-end gear are the 1000 & 2000 series players…which cost more than Technics, don't last as long, and won't still be around and selling for the same price in 20 years.

After realizing that it would be cheaper to run SSL on a Mac Pro than buy a pair of new CDJ-2000s, I'm convinced that I'll never own CDJs. Buying something other than Technics would take a lot of convincing…

I just picked up 2 MK2s for a whopping $150. Needed some minor repairs, but could turn around and sell them for $600 for the pair easy. As with all things, the market dictates the price. As long as people are willing to buy them for higher prices, they will be sold for higher prices.
    I also picked up M3Ds for $300 each, and an MK5 for $499. Just because I won't pay a ridiculously high price, doesn't all people won't.

Wow. I feel like an asshat now for buying my pair for a 1000. Thanks!