Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goin out to dj in IBIZA

I don't know how this even happens.

I guess it depends on the type of DJ and music you play. But playing techno, you don't even know what techno really is after one year, I should know because that is my chosen genre, and there is so much variety and history with the music I KNOW it is impossible to understand it to any great degree aftrer one year. The fact you want to mix sub-genres of this makes it even tougher, understanding the destinction between these is just the first part of it.

But honestly andy, some advice, don't be too quick to jump up and get out there, really learn your craft, take some pride in what you are trying to achieve, and don't go too early because once you have a bad rep, then it is difficult to shake. This isn't kevin and perry go to ibiza and there will be 1000 people in front of you, with more experience than you, who are probably better than you.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Fair point lads, Im probably over thinking things but as i said i didnt mean in a club was more looking towards a bar on the westend. I'd still be interested in hearing how people managed to get dj'in over there (in the westend) just out of interest for future reference

@Adzm00 good point about jump too early and getting a bad rep

Adzm00, I don't find it laughable that somebody is DJing after one year. That's plenty of time to learn a lot. Also, just because you have been DJing only for one year doesn't mean you haven't been into the music for longer than that. How long you have been DJing is pretty much irrelevant, it's about your skills and how you use them to rock a party.

Having said that, as in most businesses, for landing a gig it's not so much about what you know and more about who you know. Hence you will hear a lot of crap DJs out there playing fairly big venues, just because they know the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
    Also, just because you have been DJing only for one year doesn't mean you haven't been into the music for longer than that. How long you have been DJing is pretty much irrelevant, it's about your skills and how you use them to rock a party.
    DJing for a year, no matter how deluded you are about your skill level, you basically know nothing.

This is a classic case of people not knowing that they don't know something.

I don't really know how to look at it, because to me it screams that person just wants to be in the limelight and doesn't actually give a shit about the craft of DJing.

I find it ridiculous someone is playing out after even 2 years practice (unless they do practice for 5 or 6 hours every day), which comes on to your point of shit DJs playing out because they know someone, not because they are actually any good.

If you want to succeed, specifically in techno, not only do you need to know people, you need to be F'ing good, it's probably one of the most difficult genres to succeed in.
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:

I want to comment on the not knowing anything. I've listened to music forever and listened to house music for a few years before I started mixing. I started mixing three years ago and just now I am realizing how much I thought I knew that I did not. Not trying to be a dick here, it is just one of those things that comes with time spent in the craft.
    The rest of the world is tired of US interventionism and the US taxpayer is tired of footing the bill for US interventionism. #teamidiot is on the prowl

Same as above, I've been DJing a few years now and it wasn't until I actually started to become good that I realised how shit I actually was.

There really is loads of stuff to learn and you just don't see this until you've been playing a while and your perception has adapted, everything from hearing errors, to learning how to buy music which suits your sets & style to your levels & EQs and etc etc.

I also don't think that people who say you can become a good DJ in a single year know what they're talking about.

OP, you'd be better off getting gigs in your local towns/cities, you're far more likely to actually get a spot to play, and then you can build your rep gradually like everyone else has to.

Failing that start a night, its not as hard as most people think, just takes some determination.
    Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds

I am flying out in 2 days though

Will take lots of photos for you all to be jelos over
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:

Quote Originally Posted by Adzm00 View Post
    I am flying out in 2 days though

Will take lots of photos for you all to be jelos over
    Jelos?

haha nice one, where you playing at?

Yeah Baller, running joke from DJF1.0.

Andy, I am playing on a boat party, as part of my residency, which is usually only in London, if it goes well, there should be more. Will have to see how it pans out.
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person: