Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reporting DJs who use stolen music?

Delete
    Last edited by matty1551; 06-26-2013 at 02:05 AM.

Some of my "competitors" have straight up told me they don't buy any of their music
    And ,sure it pisses me off
    Respect for djs has gone though the floor as a result of the market being flooded by too many un-professionals

But I don't really see what can be done about it

All one can do is work hard and find ways to distinguish oneself from these guys
    It works ! But will never be like before when djs used vinyl

I hope some day there is a Dj license system
    Which can weed out this element , while giving fair treatment to those who take a more honest approach
    But it's a very complicated area and I don't see it happen

I tell all of my competitors that I do not pay for music. I also tell them I do all my events for free.
    They really get pissed off. it works best to tell them the morning of a bridal show.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Troy View Post
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by allensmusic View Post
    I tell all of my competitors that I do not pay for music. I also tell them I do all my events for free.
    They really get pissed off. it works best to tell them the morning of a bridal show.

Quote Originally Posted by allensmusic View Post
    LOL allensmusic

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    I hope some day there is a Dj license system
    Which can weed out this element , while giving fair treatment to those who take a more honest approach
    But it's a very complicated area and I don't see it happen
    You're right. Won't happen. Plus, government needs to have their hands in less business than they already do. Not to mention I'm not sure what a license would do other than make more people steal the music they play to offset the cost of getting a license. It's a double edged sword.

Instead, we need to focus on getting people aware of our services we can offer rather than bashing others.
    Lighting Designer/Special Effects: Grand MA, Martin, Le Maitre, ReeleFX, Fire One Pyrotechnics
    As for you Mystic. YOU ARE A FUCKEN MORON. -Fueledbymusic

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    You're right. Won't happen. Plus, government needs to have their hands in less business than they already do. Not to mention I'm not sure what a license would do other than make more people steal the music they play to offset the cost of getting a license. It's a double edged sword.

Instead, we need to focus on getting people aware of our services we can offer rather than bashing others.
    ummm..... yeah
    I am not a professional DJ. It's a backyard hobby I love! In the garage. Numark ndx-500, American Audio 10 mxr , 4 BFM tuba 24s, EV ZLX 12p's, Truss full of lights. I STILL have all my equipment as of January 2023!

Yeah its one thing to buy all your music then another for those cheats that are not paying royalties. We spend thousands on buying media and spend more thousands having the "APRA" fees well thats what its called in Australia to LEGALY play these tunes at gigs. So we all pay the money and then theres KARMA for those that don't.

Hmmm no govt. license may never happen; however, just saw where Peter Merry got the term "Wedding Entertainment Director" trademarked; and looks like under the WED Guild they will start certifying said directors soon.
    - jj -

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    ^^AMEN!!

Those of you who are calling for a licensing system, do you really want a licensing system managed by the same caliber of people who run the DMV driver's license office? The same caliber of people who run the Post Office? The same caliber of people who run the IRS?

On the surface, it sounds great. It would get rid of frauds who claim to be DJ's, and who couldn't DJ to save their lives. It would set up a system of education, to ensure that people who say they are DJ's know what they are doing. It would get rid of thieves who steal music and diminish our income. It would prevent corrupt, inept, lazy DJ's from giving the rest of us a bad name.

It would be money well spent. Or would it?

The staggering incompetence and outright fraudulent behavior of the government, federal, state, and local, has been on display for years. As Milton Friedman said, If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there'd be a shortage of sand. We would merely swap frauds and thieves, and allow for others to become corrupt.

Additionally, do you want to pay your hard earned money, for licensing fees, to the same caliber of people who are charged with being good stewards of our tax money? Think of the Post Office, which only lost $1.9 BILLION in the first quarter of 2013. Ok, so maybe the Post Office is a bad example.

Instead, let's consider the paragons of integrity, the "masters of financial accountability", the IRS. The IRS, whose motto is "Service plus Enforcement equals Compliance". After all, the IRS is now going to be the ones controlling and authorizing your health care (if you live in the US) now that the Affordable Health Care Act has passed.

The IRS, who determines the legitimacy of your business deductions. The IRS, who expects you to prove every penny of every deduction and expense you try to claim on your income taxes. The IRS, who treats you as "guilty until proven innocent", even when they are the ones who made the mistake?

The IRS, who according to CNN, has been using official IRS credit cards to purchase wine, p*rn, and kazoos,... two of the three I can understand... but $4,000 worth of KAZOOS?!

The IRS, who according to MSN Money, sent two agents to collect a short payment from a car wash. The original shortage was four cents, which had over a three year period, due to penalties and interest had grown to over $200. Where could I get that kind of ROI? Turn four cents into $200 in three years? How much tax payer money did they waste, sending two agents, on the clock, driving a tax-payer funded vehicle, to collect $200?

The IRS, who according to USA Today, has been paying $513 million in "fraudulent & erroneous" homebuyer tax credits... But, I suppose it's only half a BILLION of our tax money.

The IRS, who according to Snopes, mailed a total of 41,272 tax returns worth $52,467,407 to "unauthorized alien workers" at four addresses in Atlanta... There are some big houses in Atlanta, but I haven't seen one that could hold 2,386 people, let alone 23,994 people.

Such massive incompetence and stupidity can best be accomplished when someone else is paying the bill... I would prefer that "someone else" not be me and you. I work too hard, and I think you probably do as well, for us to give our hard earned money to yet another wasteful government agency for the "privilege" of a license.

I'd rather give that money to the NSA, who is recording every single phone call, text message, and email in the United States, and storing it in their massive new data storage facility in Utah. That way, if I ever have a dispute with a customer (or the IRS), I can ask the NSA for a transcript.
    Last edited by Drewbdo; 06-27-2013 at 08:08 AM.