Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reporting DJs who use stolen music?

Quote Originally Posted by Dharry View Post
    I can have a rant about this one..i had an amazing record collection left for me by a good friend who died. I did a terrible thing and lent it to someone who was a DJ friend of a friend who i helped out at gigs .

He wanted to take a look at it and it they were all in perfect condition and prob worth thousands now. I trusted my friend to make sure it was returned to me and i never did get it back.

My own stupid fault for being naive and stupid at that time and too trusting but ive never spoken to the guy since.....and i should have reported it but never did.
    I can relate. I loaned a MixDeck in an Odyssey case, and two LED par cans, to a friend I have known for a couple of years. He was going through a tough time in his life, and asked if he could borrow it for a couple of gigs, to make some money for his family. That was over a year ago. I have asked for them to be returned several times. I think he is currently back in jail, and his wife won't respond to my Facebook requests. I haven't called her grandmother or posted on her wall yet, but I'm getting pretty tired of asking for them back. He is a very good DJ, but I don't trust him, and will not send him any work in the future. He has lost out on several gigs already for that reason.

Anyway, to the OP, I don't know if it would do any good. You would probably feel better for a while, but in another way, the free market will take care of him. Most of the gigs he would get probably wouldn't be your customer anyway, unless you are looking for bottom-feeder customers. Word will get around that he stinks on ice, and he will go out of business. Like allensmusic said, they often don't know how to use what they have effectively.

I would have to say that you have to rise above the fray and worry more about marketing yourself as opposed to thinking you are competing with those who are stealing music, or charging $200 for a wedding. Those clients that he is getting would never be a client you would have in the first place.

Market yourself for the value you add to their event.

1-800-BAD-BEAT is the official RIAA hotline to report stolen music.
    DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings

Think about it this way. While this guy is NOT a direct competitor of me for weddings, he very well could be for school dances or bar gigs. Winter is slow around here so I will do school dances for a lot cheaper than I should to stay busy. Schools don't care if the music is stolen, heck sometimes they want to use their own PA and have a kid with music DJ the dance just to save a few hundred dollars. (I would guess some of the music is stolen in that case) He does the whole business in this market a disservice by not charging enough.

People even reasonable people see that for a wedding he is $300 and I'm $1000. Well they might settle somewhere in the middle then at $600 and feel like they are getting a good deal and a good dj. Not the best but in the middle. Where in reality they are still getting a NOOB. If people like this didn't exist then those same people could reasonably make the choice to go with me, or someone around the $800 mark, which still could be me depending on time of year.

For bars though we might both charge $200 for recurring events and he has little costs, where I do have costs. While I may be getting the work, I'm not making what I should be making. Our name is strong enough in the market to win most job bids so I do normally get the work. I'm just making a point. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntertainment View Post
    I'm so sick and tired of low lifes who steal music and I have to compete with them. Has anyone thought of reporting them? I haven't yet. But i'm getting close. I ran into a DJ who doesn't work that often who told me he had 100,000 music videos... Yeah right, are there even that many music videos??? Any ways that's what i mean i have to compete with these people.
    Sounds like you're acting on complete suspicion. Don't go "ratting" on someone you don't even know is guilty. Sounds pretty petty.

Sadly, I'm willing to bet about 60%+ DJs out there use stolen music. Any time someone sells me that have 60,000 songs in their library, unless they are sporting a $30,000 setup, I know they are using stolen music. Maybe not all of it, but a good portion of it I'm sure.
    Lighting Designer/Special Effects: Grand MA, Martin, Le Maitre, ReeleFX, Fire One Pyrotechnics
    As for you Mystic. YOU ARE A FUCKEN MORON. -Fueledbymusic

I'd just let it be. I've been to several events where about every other song skips/has weird sound to it/stops all the sudden. It's always the same DJs that have complete junk of a system. I'd just try and focus more on marketing your gear, talent and experience than the amount of songs someone has. I realize that if they didn't have the music, they couldn't even consider doing it...but in the example of a high school dance...it's going to be hard to turn in every kid that has stolen music. Or beat out the group of 3 friends that has a few hundred bucks of current music and hand me down gear that they can make work to make a buck. Just my .02 cents....

Quote Originally Posted by matty1551 View Post
    Sounds like you're acting on complete suspicion. Don't go "ratting" on someone you don't even know is guilty. Sounds pretty petty.
    Yeah because I'm going to put the entire conversation I had with this other DJ on the web for the whole world to see... I'm coming to a group of professionals and asking them what they think about reporting people who use stolen music. Sounds pretty legit to me.

Meh. Report him if you want to. Doubt anything will be done about it. And if anything does get done about it, it's like whack-a-mole really

At least you'll feel better/like you've done something
    Find it. Keep it. Work it. Share it.
    Less Talking. More Dancing.
    Yeah, I were Burger Daddy in V 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Ntertainment View Post
    Yeah because I'm going to put the entire conversation I had with this other DJ on the web for the whole world to see... I'm coming to a group of professionals and asking them what they think about reporting people who use stolen music. Sounds pretty legit to me.
    If you want people to give you an appropriate answer then include the appropriate facts. Your original post makes it seem as though you have a hunch about the guy because he claims to have so many videos.