Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Real DJ's?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    You like to turn things around don't ye. You seem strangely butthurt about that nobody, youtoob superstar, bedroom level kid(d)
    Haha, I'm only fucking about. That KiddLuke guy makes me laugh (at how bad he is). The fact that he's getting booked is part of what's wrong with DJing, but it's been that way for years and ain't nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    ^^Oh no! Now I'm not a real DJ as well because I don't play out any more! What does that make me then, dlove? A fake one? One that doesn't exist?
    an ex-DJ

KiddLuke is the real deal! I'm a non-DJ because dlove says so!
    yet, I didn't call you a "non-DJ", you say this yourself.

I used to be a vocalist in a band, but I wouldn't call myself a vocalist now, as I only do it in my mate's house as a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    I say a real DJ plays out. Whether that's on a radio show, a wedding, a bar, an illegal rave or a club, I don't think the format matters, it's playing in front of people that does.
    ^ I'm with Dlove on this one. "Real" DJs hustle and play for crowds...

Just because you play basketball at the park, that doesn't make you a basketball player - you just play basketball. I think DJing is quite similar - you can DJ anywhere you want (as a hobby/activity) but being a DJ is a bit different and connotes something else.

I try not to introduce myself as a DJ but rather mention that I do DJ - may seem like the same thing but I find a semantic difference in it.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

KiddLuke is the real deal! I'm a non-DJ because dlove says so!
    I already told you, there are no real DJs on here I haven't seen anyone stage diving in their sets yet to be a real DJ.

This whole real DJ definition is a bit of a joke. You can apply this to any activity where the range in skill sets is extremely varied. I could be a shit human, but I'm still a human. Everyone in here needs to not worry about whether they are a real DJ and go spend some time practicing, m'kay?
    The rest of the world is tired of US interventionism and the US taxpayer is tired of footing the bill for US interventionism. #teamidiot is on the prowl

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    yet, I didn't call you a "non-DJ", you say this yourself.

I used to be a vocalist in a band, but I wouldn't call myself a vocalist now, as I only do it in my mate's house as a hobby.
    So I'm an "ex-DJ" then, even though I still put out mixes and do scratching on people's tracks?

If you were putting out songs on the Internet that you recorded in your bedroom, I would call you a vocalist. I wouldn't say "you're not a vocalist unless you're singing live in front of other people".

Would you argue that this girl is not a musician and singer because she performed that at home, rather than in front of a crowd? Even though more people have watched that video than will ever come to all of your gigs combined, by miles.

We had this conversation once before and your argument was dumb then and still is now. To call me an ex-DJ while I'm still DJing is taking the piss. Or are you going to argue that when I make mixes or do scratching for people, that doesn't count as "DJing" either? You're going to have to do that for your silly definition to work though, lol.
    Last edited by Sigma; 06-25-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M!TCH View Post
    I already told you, there are no real DJs on here I haven't seen anyone stage diving in their sets yet to be a real DJ.
    I'm working on a cake act for my new routine.

If you were putting out songs on the Internet that you recorded in your bedroom, I would call you a vocalist. I wouldn't say "you're not a vocalist unless you're singing live in front of other people".

Would you argue that this girl is not a musician and singer because she performed that at home, rather than in front of a crowd? Even though more people have watched that video than will ever come to all of your gigs combined, by miles.
    No, because in this instance, she is not doing this strictly as a hobby and is actually pursuing it as a profession. This is part of her "promo materials", if you will, and she does travel and play as a musician.

I follow this girl on Twitter and she is regularly playing in front of crowds and is otherwise pursuing music as a serious endeavor.

If you want to be called a DJ, you NEED to be getting paid for it.

If you want to be a hobby DJ, then you should be putting some serious time and effort in because DJing and music is your hobby.

You aren't a DJ when being popular, getting girls to drop their knickers or some kind of recognition is your motivation to do it. That would make being popular your hobby and DJing a process in which you think you will get there.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

So are scratch DJs who perform on the internet not real DJs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    Did someone mention hookers?
    Quote Originally Posted by RDRCK View Post
    am not brony.