Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Official DJF Beginners MEGA Thread!

Why thank you kid sir.

The next one who asks me a link to the manual gets a choice of a either a LMGTFY link, or a ban

I can't get into the Core Knowledge and Skills (aka How to Start Out) thread. Says I dont have permission :/

Quote Originally Posted by zazame View Post
    I can't get into the Core Knowledge and Skills (aka How to Start Out) thread. Says I dont have permission :/
    It's an older article. I'll get this moved so that everyone can see it.

Try it now and let me know.
    Last edited by KLH; 08-17-2020 at 09:13 AM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Went through all the other parts being antsy to get into core knowledge only to find out it still doesn't work

edit: also for other meganoobs as me there could be some list of different abbreviations and their meanings and maybe some basic technics / concepts and short explanations. For example I have no idea what beatmatching even means and the subreddit for starting dj's is called /r/beatmatch... I know I will figure the stuff out while reading and learning and trying, but it could make starting learning process a bit more mellow.
    Last edited by CHDJ; 10-06-2021 at 05:25 AM. Reason: me noob

Quote Originally Posted by CHDJ View Post
    For example I have no idea what beatmatching even means and the subreddit for starting dj's is called /r/beatmatch... I know I will figure the stuff out while reading and learning and trying, but it could make starting learning process a bit more mellow.
    From the original post:

Core Knowledge and Skills (aka How to Start Out)

2. Beat-matching. This is where you use the pitch controls on your equipment to get the 2 songs playing at the same BPM. It's vital in mixing music. Some DJ software will do this for you, but if you never learn to do it manually, you can never use gear that doesn't have auto-sync. Think of it like only being able to do basic maths by pulling out a calculator, rather than learning your times tables. Opinions on this differ, but if you can beat-match manually, you can use pretty much any piece of gear. If you can only use auto-sync, you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by CHDJ View Post
    I have no idea what beatmatching even means
    it means lining up the beats of two tracks, so that they are in time with one another, the kick drum , snare and so on are happening at the same time. as though it was the same track. its the bedrock of DJing

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Can't access that link. No permission it says.

No worries, I'll copy paste the basics of it:

The technical basics of mixing are these: -

1. Levels. You adjust the levels of tracks, usually using the gains on your mixer, in order to make sure that one song doesn't drown out another or is way too quiet. Use a combination of the LEDs on your mixer and your ears.

2. Beat-matching. This is where you use the pitch controls on your equipment to get the 2 songs playing at the same BPM. It's vital in mixing music. Some DJ software will do this for you, but if you never learn to do it manually, you can never use gear that doesn't have auto-sync. Think of it like only being able to do basic maths by pulling out a calculator, rather than learning your times tables. Opinions on this differ, but if you can beat-match manually, you can use pretty much any piece of gear. If you can only use auto-sync, you can't.

3. Phrase matching. A track is broken down into phrases. A phrase is where something about the music changes. For instance, a song may start with 8 bars of beat, then a bassline kicks in. The 8 bars of beat is your first phrase. When you mix, you're trying to line up phrases from 2 or more different tracks in a way that sounds pleasing to the ear. Good phrase matching skills are also vital.

4. EQing. Using the EQs on your mixer allows you to adjust the highs, mids and lows for individual tracks. For instance, you may want to lower the bass on an outgoing track to avoid bassline clashes with the incoming one. While I would concentrate on points 1-3 above more than EQing at first, it's still something you're going to need to learn. Don't just twist an EQ knob for the sake of it! Play around with the knobs on your mixer and listen to the effect they have on the music. Use EQs for a purpose, not cos you think "if I don't turn this knob, it'll look like I'm not doing much up in the booth!".

OP this is a great thread

Whoa! This thread is over 10 years old!

This was not an individual effort; I thank everyone who posted and contributed over the years. DJF is a great place.

As my mentor said, "Practise and enjoy!" (Those UK guys just don't know how to spell.)
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...