Thread: XLR Cables?

XLR Cables?

Hi everyone..new to this forum. so not sure where to ask. I have an Allen and Heath mixer, 4 x 2000w Alto powered speakers.

Can I use XLR microphone cables between mixer and speakers? or should I only use Speaker cables? Can I damage anything if I use microphone cables?

Thanks
    Last edited by KLH; 06-01-2023 at 09:04 AM. Reason: EDIT: Post moved from a related thread to a new thread. -KLH

No, they're actually different types, different gauges and different shielding. In your case it shouldn't matter because you're using powered speakers so you're not running high current, but I still would rather recommend to use the right type of cable. More reading here:

https://stampsound.com/can-xlr-cable...-for-speakers/

You can use an XLR cable for speaker connections and it should work fine if you have the right amp/preamp. However, using an XLR mic cable (the wrong type) might lead to damage. XLR mic cables are not the same as XLR speaker cables; they won’t be able to handle a high level of wattage

Thanks a mil Manu.. that definitely answers my question. much appreciated

No worries

What Manu is talking about, using XLR connectors to connect amplifiers to passive speakers.. is an ancient thing and you will not come across it anymore unless you are dealing with gear from the 20th century. Even then not too common.

So don't worry about that.

XLR cables that you can buy these days are almost all wired exactly the same and can be used to connect most things that use XLR connectors. The main difference between one model of cable and another is quality (how little noise/interference you will get and how long it will last you before it lets you down). Usually they are called "Microphone Cable" but they will all work, they aren't just for mics. I suggest not buying the absolute cheapest ones you can get, but you don't need the crazy expensive ones either.

The thing you do have to worry about is matching output to input, eg:
    Mics have to be connected to Mic inputs
    Line level signals like the output of your mixer have to be connected to line level inputs (your powered speakers will have this).

Don't connect a MIC to a LINE input..
    Don't connect a LINE output (eg. mixer out) to a MIC input..
    Even though they both use XLR and you might get some sound out.

It won't sound good.

Some powered speakers have two inputs.. both XLR.. one is for LINE and the other for MIC.. you will want to keep your eye out for this and for connecting your DJ mixer you will use LINE. If there's only one input it's probably LINE.

Other types of signals use XLR too.. like lighting controllers connect to lights through XLR using a signal called DMX.. and even though the connectors and cables look the same you won't get any kind of sensible result by connecting for example a MIXER output to a LIGHT
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 06-01-2023 at 06:49 PM.