Thread: Beginner

Beginner

Good Afternoon/Evening/Morning to all,

I am a 47 year old music lover (All house/techno/trance) and have been for 30 odd years. I've suddenly got some time on my hands and looking to fill a gap in my life that I've always wanted to fill. I'm looking at trying my hand at some home DJing and would welcome any advice as to what I require as a set up. I have speakers and a PC already. Am I correct in thinking I require music software, mixer (Digital or Analogue) and some turntables/digital decks? Please excuse my ignorance if I am not using correct terminology, I've looked online at what's required but would like a communication. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Try the free version of a DJ software before you buy anything. And watch YouTube tutorials on that software.
    Mixing Music for Beginners: Get Started on Virtual DJ 2023 for FREE Today!
    LeFave
    Dec 31, 2022
    14:32
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Mostly, the main factor is budget.
    From there on the options are endless.

These days mixing digital makes up the vast majority of DJing and it is hard to recommend mixing vinyl unless you already have a large collection, or are particularly drawn to the aesthethic.
    You can mix digital tracks using a vinyl DVS interface if that appeals. It is also the traditional way of getting into scratching, but as you are into house/trance that may not be your thing.

You could just mix using a computer and a mouse, but it would get boring quickly. You really would need a performance mixing instrument like a Dj mixer as well as some sort of decks.

But again, budget is king. It's easy for me to recommend spending thousands of dollars on equipment but your circumstances may be different. It is quite possible to get excellent results and have a good time mastering getting the maximum out of cheap equipment that works for you.

So give a budget and the people here will point you in the right direction.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

I'd also recommend looking at the link in my signature for beginners. It's a quick cheat-sheet to get started.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...