Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Buy another DJ's music collection to start off?

Quote Originally Posted by Defiance View Post
    What difference does it make? No one is going to do anything about it, I mean if a DJ business is ran exclusively off of ripped music, maybe one person buys all the music and its split for 10 DJs, it just lowers the costs for everyone. Only thing they have to deal with is a moral dilemma of having 'illegal' music, which lets be honest, isn't much of a moral problem anymore.
    Here is the problem with it outside of the moral issue.

An artist for example, Cher, isn't going to continue to record music without being paid. Cher makes her living singing in exchange for pay. She acquires a song, goes to the studio & records it. The recording studio releases that song in several forms including CD & MP3. The logic is that if one person buys that song for $1.29 & then pirates that song online, now the
    song writer,
    the artist,
    the recording studio,
    the producers &
    the host site that sold the initial $1.29 song has to all split $1.29. Not many people along that avenue is going to be there very long.

Now, while that's a bit basic, its the basis for the logic.
    Say the song sells 1,000,000 copies. But 5,000,000 illegally obtained that song? Instead of splitting $1.29 X 6,000,000 = $7,774,000.... They split $1,000,000 from the legal sales.

Its the same thing as you playing music as a DJ but someone brings a audio recording device of some sort to an event where you DJ & record your session, then just play it every night at their club or better yet... start their own DJ service & play your set every weekend at a different gig. They make all the money for $50 per hour & your sitting at home after one gig for $500.

Other people like to get paid for their work just like you do. They need to be paid too. If they cant get paid cause 5,000,000 DJ's stole their music... they are gonna be at home while your out making money off their talent. Now how long is that going to last? Not very long cause no one is going to go to the expense of anything from writing the song to releasing the song & not get paid for it.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

True but who is going to do anything about it? You? Would you turn someone in that you knew supplied illegal mp3s/cds to his DJs?

You think 21 year-old wannabe DJ who wants quick cash thinks about the large repercussions that you stated?

True but who is going to do anything about it? You? Would you turn someone in that you knew supplied illegal mp3s/cds to his DJs?
    You think 21 year-old wannabe DJ who wants quick cash thinks about the large repercussions that you stated?
    Obviously, one person cant do anything, but do I appreciate it? No.
    If I knew Jim Bob had a hard drive full of illegal music, would he be someone that I respected? No.
    Would he be someone that I would partner with on DJing gigs, for example, if I was booked would I call him to offer him the job? No.
    If someone asked me for recommendations, would I recommend him? No.
    Would I consider him a morally good person? No.
    Would I consider him an honest person? No.

Would I turn him in if I knew that he was DJing with a Hard Drive full of illegal music? hummm... I think it would depend on a few things. But, possibly.

What difference does it make? No one is going to do anything about it, I mean if a DJ business is ran exclusively off of ripped music, maybe one person buys all the music and its split for 10 DJs, it just lowers the costs for everyone.
    Uh, no it doesnt. Only the thieves.

Only thing they have to deal with is a moral dilemma of having 'illegal' music, which lets be honest, isn't much of a moral problem anymore.
    And that's the problem right there. People have no morals anymore...

It's called "Morals"
    it is the same thing that prevents crimes like shoplifting, date rape, racism etc.
    People will do it and get away with it, but the important thing is to let others know it is wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Troy View Post
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixieland DJ
    Say the song sells 1,000,000 copies. But 5,000,000 illegally obtained that song? Instead of splitting $1.29 X 6,000,000 = $7,774,000.... They split $1,000,000 from the legal sales.
    This is RIAA fantasy land talk, because it implies that all of the 5,000,000 that illegally obtained the song would have purchased it had their been no means of getting it for free.

There are several pieces of research that show that people who pirate music spend more money on it than those that don't.

Here's some info published last month from Ofcom, who is the UK telecoms regulator: -

Telecoms regulator Ofcom has just published a study into the state of online copyright infringement in the UK, with some very interesting conclusions. The researchers found that 10% of the country’s most prolific infringers are responsible for almost 80% of all infringements carried out online, but with a bonus. These plus an additional 10% of infringers spend 300% more than ‘honest’ consumers who don’t infringe copyright at all.
    An article from The Independent in 2009: -

People who illegally download music from the internet also spend more money on music than anyone else, according to a new study. The survey, published today, found that those who admit illegally downloading music spent an average of £77 a year on music – £33 more than those who claim that they never download music dishonestly.
    A study done in 2012: -

One of the most comprehensive studies into media sharing and consumption habits in the United States and Germany reveals that file-sharers buy 30% more music than their non-sharing counterparts. The result confirms that file-sharers are actually the music industry’s best customers.
    So, I would split pirates up into different types: -

1. Those that "try before they buy". In this case, piracy often drives sales as it increases music/new artist discovery.

2. Those that buy some music, but illegally download some. There can be various reasons for this, but one of the reasons is only having so much disposable income. If a person is pirating some music because they can't afford to buy it, then if pirating disappears, they don't suddenly obtain the funds to buy that music by magic.

3. Those that pirate all of their music and buy none of it. But even in this group, you have people that are so short of funds that it's a choice of pirating music, or not having it at all.

So the issue is not as black and white as some people here like to pretend that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    This is RIAA fantasy land talk, because it implies that all of the 5,000,000 that illegally obtained the song would have purchased it had their been no means of getting it for free.
    And I totally agree with that but i was only making a point... just as I did when I used the example of one song being bought then illegally distributed. I'll agree that just because a person has a song that he downloaded illegally, that its not fact that he would have bought that song otherwise. However, in the case of the OP, There is 230,000 songs on that hard drive. Even if a person would not have normally purchased all 230,000 songs, the 10,000 he would have bought within that 230,000 is music that he would have purchased.

I am not saying specifically its the case. I am only giving examples to make my point for the question that was asked. Whether its one or a million, the point is the same. The specifics may be different but the point is the same.
    However, how many hard drives full of music is sold every year? Just look on Dallas Craigslist alone. There are some on there selling for $250 for hundreds of thousands of songs like the one above. If there are 1000 drives sold each year with 230,000 songs that's 230,000,000 songs sold illegally. If those thousand DJ's would have bought 10,000 of the songs otherwise, that's 10,000,000 songs at $1 each. = $10,000,000 lost just from selling hard drives. Its not including other souces & personal use.

Again, its not specifics, I'm just making my point.

Its still aint right.

Banned
    EDIT - Never mind. I ain't getting into this shit again.
    Last edited by Sigma; 06-13-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Wow, this thread really took a turn! That wasn't my intention..

ON A HAPPIER NOTE... I realized that I have $100 iTunes credit from when I bought my Mac last year that I haven't used yet and a $10 reward certificate, which I just used to buy NOW That's What I Call Music 46. These 2 things will get me a great start with about 80-100 LEGAL songs to get started! I'm also planning on eventually signing up for DJCity. I'd like to try ZipDJ, but I'm not DJing on a regular basis so I don't think I'd get accepted into that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Seller
    FREE FAST USPS PRIORITY MAIL SHIPPING IN THE CONTINENTAL USA!

FLAT RATE PRIORITY SHIPPING TO CANADA!

NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING OTHER THAN CANADA!

"SIMPLY A DJ's DREAM"

BRAND NEW!

PRICE SEVERELY REDUCED FOR JUST A LIMITED TIME... THIS ITEM SOLD MULTIPLE TIMES FOR $800 - $1350... CHECK ON MY FEEDBACK!

THE BEST & MOST KILLER DJ MASSIVE MUSIC COLLECTION LIBRARY EVER CREATED ON PLANET EARTH, AT THE LOWEST PRICE YOU WILL EVER GET... PERIOD!

OVER 900GB+ OF MUSIC DJ MEGA MUSIC COLLECTION! 234,000+ SONGS & MUSIC FILES INCLUDING THE MOST POPULAR SONGS AND HITS IN ALL GENRES OF OVER 9 DECADES UPDATED UNTIL THIS MONTH!

THIS COLLECTION IS SIMPLY A DJ's DREAM!

I have all legal rights to sell this product. Please refer to our intellectual property rights disclosure at the end of this page for more information. Thank you!

There is so much music material here (over 234,000 songs and music files) in all genres that is simply INSANE!

This over 900GB+ digital mega collection will work fantastically for any kind of event of any age group, and its up to date to the current month in all genres (I also offer monthly updates, 3-6 months updates, 1 year updates, or whenever you need updates for a low price)

Perfect for night clubs, pubs, bars, mobile DJ's, recording studios, Halloween, Christmas, Church parties, weddings, birthday parties, graduations, and for any music lover or music enthusiast. Re-mastered with the best possible digital sound quality.

I can guarantee that you won’t find a collection like this anywhere ever!

No matter if you do it professionally, for fun, as a hobby, for recording studio, this is a must have to rock any party or any type of event. You won’t be disappointed. It’s very unlikely to get a request for something I don’t have in this mega collection.

Windows Users: My music collection has been formatted specially for Windows and works perfectly for it (Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, XP) and can be used with most DJ software like virtual DJ, PCDJ, Traktor, Serato, etc...

Mac Users: Althogh Mac users that bought and said that they did not had problems playing my collection, I cannot guarantee that will work on your Mac since this collection has been formatted only for Windows. I am not familiar with Mac so I don't know if it will work for your Mac system or setup... so please contact me before you purchase this collection to direct you to technical support and find out if it may be compatible with your specific Mac, because once it ships to you there are "NO RETURNS" - "NO EXCEPTIONS", Please refer to our No Returns Policy at the end of the page to find out all the reasons why there is absolutely no returns on this product. Thank you!

My collection is 100% free of viruses/malware... so buy with confidence!

If you have any questions, please contact me for a fast and courteous response.

Immediate payment is required after purchase.

Some features on this Massive DJ music collection are:

* MP3's from the 1920’s to Today’s Mega Music Collection Library (over 530GB of music in all genres, more than 105,500 popular songs, song hits of all times and lots of cool media stuff! and this is just part of the whole mega collection!)

* “Rock it Now” Special Trance and Electronica Songs!

* RollingStone Top 500 Songs of all times!

* The very best TOP 100 Billboard hits from the mid 40’s all the way to 2012 (66 Years’worth of music… a total of 6,600 of the Top rated Songs of almost 8 decades!)

* The very best BET’s 500 Rap & Hip-Hop songs from all times

* The very best 100 Halloween Hits of all times

* The very best VH1’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Songs of all times

* The very best VH1’s 300 Christmas Songs of all times

* The very best CMT’s 100 Country Songs

* CMT’s Top 500 Country Hits

* Rare Collection of Mobile Beats: Mobile Beat Hits Collection, Mobile Beat Boot Scooting Boogie, Mobile Beat Seasons, Mobile Beat Dance

* “NOW” That’s what I call music… Volumes 1- 81 and 83 (Just released)

* "NOW AMEUROPE" Volumes 1-14... These are popular American songs that have been hits in Europe (recently released)

* World famous Mash-Ups your boots music collections… Volumes 1- 59

* DJ Scratch Favorites, which includes a special picked collection of almost 90gb (almost 14,600 songs) in clean and dirty versions of popular genres for scratching... like House, Hip hop, Tupac, Booty, Breaks, Dubstep, Disco, R&B, Reggeaton, Techno and many more!

* DJ Sample Collections of beats, breaks, effects, scratches and more!

* Lots of “ALL MUSIC” Collection which features the most popular songs and hits from the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 2000’s, 2010’s all the way to now

* A wide variety of popular music and hits in Spanish in different genres like Rock hits, Salsa, Merenge, Reggaeton, Bolero, Flamenco, Tango, Brasilian Samba and many more!

* A huge selection of popular Caribbean and Island music hits in genres like reggae, soca, dancehall, and more!

* As another great bonus, is my very own Music Video Special Collection included only for this time (About 1500 special music videos and hits in different genres that I've been collecting since the 70's until now)

***Now if you are a DJ that likes to create and keep creating music; I’m also including in this package for free my very Special Collection of "X-MASSIVE STUDIO DJ SOUND COLLECTION" and "X-SPECIAL DJ FX STUDIO SOUNDS" This is my very special world class "Massive Studio Sounds Collection" great to make, create and produce all the beats and sound effects that you will ever imagine, over 17gb (74,200+ high quality sounds) Which includes: DJ Voices Effects and Tools, Drum Loops & Samples, Drum Machines, DJ Fantastic Lucid Samples and DJ Combined Master Loops, This is a Killer collection of the freshest and best Samples from the Clubs of Ibiza, London, Paris and New York directly to your mix. Also drums and bass samples, drum-loops, jazz loops, jungle bass-lines, aggressive synths, special fx, quality pads, electro brakes, hip hop progressions, guitar riffs, drum machines, raw power, session drums, sound bites and a lot, lot, lot more!
    Don't know why people assume it's mostly pirated but no, it's not legal to buy music this way as the others have mentioned.

i wouldn't do it. slowly building up your library is a good way to learn what you really like and how much you value a track. it'll teach you what track is worth spending the money on and which is not worth buying. quality over quantity.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarnYourKeep
    name one dj that can replicate richie's drums in a minimal techno way, this coming from a plastikman background...then again i figure trance heads would respond this way they always seek the BUILD UP AND DROP THE BASS BRO