Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External Hard Drive for a Mac

External Hard Drive for a Mac

I have a WD 1tb Passport that I use to store my collection. I use a MBP and was curious on the forum's opinion and experiences about using the Apple Time Capsule as a back up and storage device. Is it useful or should I just use a highly rated external hard drive. I welcome your suggestions and feedback.

I'm going to be buying a WD 1TB external to use with the Time Capsule - but sorry no experience yet.
    - jj -

are you talking about time machine as in the software that is used to backup macs automatically, or are you talking about the time capsule that is a physical hard drive used for storage and backups?

I'd personally go for a well regarded hard drive (lacie/wd/seagate) as opposed to an apple time capsule.

I was referring to the Time Capsule physical hard drive. I've heard that they are super user friendly whereas you just set it up and open your MacBook, iPad, or other Apple device and it automatically backs up and allows you to swap and transfer data. However I've heard that the lifespans are short like dead in 2 years.

thats with any hard drive. I have a wd hard drive and all i do is plug it in and it mounts as two drives (made two partitions; one for time machine and one for other stuff). Time machine automatically goes to work backing up as soon as it is plugged in and mounted. Nothing special about time capsule except the pretty white case.

The Seagate Goflex for Mac rocks. I have three and have not had a single problem. I prefer using them with the firewire connection. It will be sweet to try a thunderbolt attachment someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnotestine View Post
    The Seagate Goflex for Mac rocks. I have three and have not had a single problem. I prefer using them with the firewire connection. It will be sweet to try a thunderbolt attachment someday.
    +1 for this, only mine isn't the Mac version. Same story though, no problems at all.
    Equipment: CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, AiAiAi TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnotestine View Post
    The Seagate Goflex for Mac rocks. I have three and have not had a single problem. I prefer using them with the firewire connection.
    ^This!

I have two seagate 1tb drives as well and use with MBP and they rock.

Where did you get FireWire connections for them? I know they are designed to accept different connections but haven't seen them in stores.