Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banned Members?

Banned
    This is what it thinks of your IP ban: -

Lol if it's a bot it's probably got a dynamic IP address?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    This is crazy. It's IP banned.
    If a user is still logged in due to cookies, an IP ban will not log them out. It will only prevent them from accessing any part of the vBulletin board, and display a message stating "Sorry, the administrator has banned your IP Address."

In this case, the bot is still logged in, and is still attempting to access the forum. The vBulliten IP Ban is preventing it from doing anything, but since the bot is still logged in, it will continue to show up as a "Currently Active User."

So, how do we fix this situation?

1. Either the bot logs itself out, thus eliminating it's possibility of logging back in because of the VB IP Ban.
    2. A global site wide IP Ban instilled inside of an .htaccess file, effectively showing the bot a 403 error.
    3. Change the vBulliten cookie prefix inside of the "includes/config.php" file, which would effectively logout ALL users, forcing them to have to log back in, which the bot cannot do.
    4. Edit the vBulliten settings/files to not display banned members in the "Currently Active Users" section. However, the bot would still technically remain logged in.
    5. Or, you could just delete the user... By "you" I mean it would have to be either Stripe or -J. I'm not sure why they keep banned spam bot accounts anyway. Perhaps to keep the member count up, but a few users here and there is trivial.

Delete this user as well: http://www.djforums.com/forums/membe...11995-c216hlt4
    Last edited by Synaxis; 06-01-2013 at 11:05 PM.
    - Synaxis || DJ Archer

"Common sense is not quite so common..." -Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by baller95 View Post
    Lol if it's a bot it's probably got a dynamic IP address?
    Yes, it probably does. You probably do too, unless you pay extra for a Static IP.

Except a Dynamic IP address does not change very often. I can restart my router right now and it would probably be assigned the same IP as before. You would normally have to leave it off for a couple of hours, or perhaps even overnight, so that your previous IP gets assigned elsewhere, and you get assigned a new one.
    - Synaxis || DJ Archer

"Common sense is not quite so common..." -Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Synaxis View Post
    Yes, it probably does. You probably do too, unless you pay extra for a Static IP.

Except a Dynamic IP address does not change very often. I can restart my router right now and it would probably be assigned the same IP as before. You would normally have to leave it off for a couple of hours, or perhaps even overnight, so that your previous IP gets assigned elsewhere, and you get assigned a new one.
    Ah yea I see, thanks for the info

I think the admins should delete these accounts aswell, if it's the only way to get rid of them then go for it!

This bot doesn't die!

Apparently this is a known problem with vbulletin. There is a workaround though (redirect the banned-user group):

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...edirect+banned

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...