Thread: need to get one of my 1200's serviced (Southern California area)

need to get one of my 1200's serviced (Southern California area)

something is definitely wrong with the tone arm. Every thing i play on it sounds slightly warped. If you shake the table you could hear something jingling around in the tone arm.

anyways I need to find a place to do this. I live in Murrieta, CA something out this way would be nice. Maybe the IE or northern SD. Any info is greatly appreciated.

after searching youtube I think this is the problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMCZWAR8TJY
    Last edited by DJ Rob One; 03-20-2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: i think this is whats wrong

Before you get it serviced, have you checked the 2 pairs of screws; 1 pair near the cartridge and one pair near the bridge?

the one on the bridge is constantly coming loose. i dont know if its stripped or what. But I have never touched that screw before and now after 30 minutes or so it loosens up. even shorter if i start scratching, juggling, etc.

I havent checked the screw underneath near the cartridge. i need to get a smaller screwdriver to adjust those. i will check them out. thanks
    Last edited by DJ Rob One; 03-20-2012 at 06:14 AM.

No problem. As far as the two screws underneath by the bridge, you need a quick wrench with a small phillip's head insert to tighten those without removing the tonearm. Those screws actual serve two purposes. They connect the "s tube" to the adapter and they hold the tone arm ground wire set up in place. If those screws loosen up, the ground piece will wiggle a bit.

The "gimbals" (sp) screw should not be coming loose. If it is it is most likely that the first time it happened you didn't remove it and reset it. Sounds like you just tightened down the set screw which will loosen up as you move the tone arm left and right. My suggestion would be to remove it completely and reset it.

check my edit in the original post. I am thinking its the bearings. But i am going to try your suggestions. thanks.

Bummer if it the bearings.