Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Of Us Who Don't Mix And/Or Beatmatch

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Galager again.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

DJ = Disc Jockey...if you play recorded music for an audience guess what you are the DJ. end of thread

Reading this thread also makes me ask you non-mixing guys a question....

WHY not learn?? You do own the equipment...You hopefully have a love for music....why not set your gear up in the basement and play around with it??

I really don't understand this. Do you just see the DJ profession as a money grab? Does your gear ever get turned on in your house or do you just keep it packed away until the next gig?

I'm not being a jerk here...I am really curious.
    http://soundcloud.com/xtremesound/old-school-1
    In a mood for the 80's Lately!

I'll answer for them... but guys, please clarify if necessary.

THEY DON'T WANT TO, AND THEY DON'T HAVE TO.

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by iammongo View Post
    Reading this thread also makes me ask you non-mixing guys a question....

WHY not learn?? You do own the equipment...You hopefully have a love for music....why not set your gear up in the basement and play around with it??

I really don't understand this. Do you just see the DJ profession as a money grab? Does your gear ever get turned on in your house or do you just keep it packed away until the next gig?

I'm not being a jerk here...I am really curious.
    Mixing is not something that appeals to me. For example, If I were to host an event of some sort, I would not hire a DJ that mixes. No offence to anyone because, as we all know, everyone likes something different. Its not a right or wrong thing... its a preference.
    Its kinda like asking, why don't I listen to opera? Why would I not hire a DJ to come play opera at my event? I simply don't care for it. It doesn't appeal to me. The style I play, is what I enjoy, just as you guys who mix, enjoy that. Its preference. You guys enjoy Hip Hop or Rap.... I enjoy old country & classic rock etc.

To go a step further, why don't you guys get some gigs playing some Merle Haggard or George Jones? That's good stuff right there.... well, to me it is, to most of Texas it is, but that is only preference. Its not right or wrong either way whether its country or Rap... Mixing or blending...

Again, I don't do it because it doesn't appeal to me & it doesnt appeal to the clients I cater to. As well, I am not being a jerk either, just giving an informative answer

Quote Originally Posted by Galager View Post
    Not in agreement with you on this one Donnie. I've seen your setup. Impressive, especially since (if I recall correctly) you put it together in a relatively short amount of time. I don't think I will ever be (nor would I WANT to be) at your level for personal reasons. The point is these forums are for DJs. Not just high end DJs but all DJs. I have come to these forums seeking advice from time to time, grateful for the awesome resource that these forums are. I don't come to these forums to be classified as sub-standard because I don't ever intend to attain your level of amazingness (again... I am NOT trying to be rude... your setup and dedication IS amazing! Take it for the compliment it is intended.) and it fries my bacon when I feel like I need to sit in the back of the bus because of it.

I started DJing because my church needed someone to start playing songs for the youth at youth dances and they didn't have the budget for a professional DJ like yourself. I scraped up my brother's old grunge rock band's powered mixer and speakers, bought a cheap ass mixer, and started playing music for the kids and to serve my God. Over the years (and 2 versions of these forums) I have slowly upgraded my gear, honed the skills I think necessary to serve my church and other clientele I market to, raised my prices (church is still and always will be free), and have become a better DJ. I am not a DJ. I am a Dad, husband, Christian, and citizen first... then I am a DJ. This is not the focus of my existence. It never will be nor do I ever want it to be. That doesn't mean I (am people like myself) don't want to be a part of this community because we find value in it. Don't judge me for not charging over $1000 minimum for a gig, not beatmixing, not having all the fancy uplighting, etc. etc. etc. because with out me and many DJs like me many many many more people would be deprived of making their special day or event just that much better by having somebody who cares, knows their music, has the right equipment, the mic skills, etc. etc. etc.

Also, think on this... if you regularly find value in some of the topics these forums generate, a GURANTEE much of what you find valuable comes from DJs of less stature than yourself (like myself) and you may not even know it.

*climbs off soap box* umm... a little off topic. Sorry about that. Got a little carried away.

From what I can tell Donnie, you are a pretty damn good DJ. You've done amazing things in a very short amount of time. Keep working your magic, make others happy, and always, always help your fellows DJs in these forums, not the opposite.

*climbs off the soap box... again* Good day.
    Galager, I in no way intended to come off as a "high end" DJ or to push my style on anyone. I respect you and your passion. You have your style and I have mine. I'm just trying to convey a point that was spoke about in previous topics.

First was the complaints that he couldn't book more then $300 parties. Then he posted a picture of a wreck of a setup. Wires everywhere. A messy table... Now this. I'm just trying to prove a point. It doesn't have to be a giant set up but you have to at least show pride in your work. Wether you have 2 speakers and an iPod or a 50,000$ setup. It's in the presentation, passion and dedication.

In reference to the mixing I'm just sharing my experience. You can't motivate a large crowd playing the final 30 seconds of a song that's going into a down tempo low energy part of the song. A DJs job is to create energy using the tools they know best.

again. I'm not trying to come off as a jerk but with 3 posts that all show why he's only getting 300$ and no motivation to fix it it kind of gets to me. You, yourself have a good head and are very passionate from what I have seen.
    *Your Event Matters FaceBook * Your Event Matters Website * MixCloud Account*
    DJs Photography Photo Booth Rentals and Beauty services

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    I'll answer for them... but guys, please clarify if necessary.

THEY DON'T WANT TO, AND THEY DON'T HAVE TO.

-KLH
    Thanks for the insight KLH

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieland DJ View Post
    Mixing is not something that appeals to me. For example, If I were to host an event of some sort, I would not hire a DJ that mixes. No offence to anyone because, as we all know, everyone likes something different. Its not a right or wrong thing... its a preference.
    Its kinda like asking, why don't I listen to opera? Why would I not hire a DJ to come play opera at my event? I simply don't care for it. It doesn't appeal to me. The style I play, is what I enjoy, just as you guys who mix, enjoy that. Its preference. You guys enjoy Hip Hop or Rap.... I enjoy old country & classic rock etc.

To go a step further, why don't you guys get some gigs playing some Merle Haggard or George Jones? That's good stuff right there.... well, to me it is, to most of Texas it is, but that is only preference. Its not right or wrong either way whether its country or Rap... Mixing or blending...

Again, I don't do it because it doesn't appeal to me & it doesnt appeal to the clients I cater to. As well, I am not being a jerk either, just giving an informative answer
    I guess the context of my question was aimed at the DJ who is trying to keep people on a dance floor...I agree with you Dixie When i play certain Genres of music there is no occasion to mix whatsoever....I was just assuming that most DJ's would end up doing several events where some top 40'ish sets would come into play.

I consider mixing to be one of those core skills that most DJ's should aspire to have.....guess I'm wrong
    http://soundcloud.com/xtremesound/old-school-1
    In a mood for the 80's Lately!

I also think that it's what gets the people movin' matter the most because you could be the best DJ in the world with the best skills and technique but if you don't have proper track selection, no one would care about the technical crap, they just want to have a good time and to them, you may be the worst DJ ever! But, I'm not saying that if you have the best music in the world in a playlist and you put it on an iPod on shuffle mode and play off of that, that you'll be any better. It's got to be a balance of tracks and DJ'ing skills to make you a "good" DJ (like me ) IMO, because that's what the crowd would like and really, it's all about pleasing the crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Donnie Lewis View Post
    Willie, again not trying to be a jerk but since you posted the topic about being able to only book 300$ gigs Ive seen you post your setup and comment that you couldnt figure out how to keep the wiring clean (and showed a picture of a mess of a rig)...

Now you're posting about not being able to mix/beat match...

Id hate to say it but you are forming to be the company that most complain about and the one that brings the industry down in the eyes of brides and companies that invest in equipment, seminars, record their performances for reviewing, video their MC interactions to review, go hours early to make sure their lighting rig looks presentable, spends hours a week watching tutorials/practicing new mixing techniques/standing in their living room practicing new introductions and just over all being innovative and creative.

Stop being static.

Take the time to perfect your performance.

Maybe you don't NEED to be a mixing DJ but if you were in my area you wouldn't be working or you will continue to be a 300$ DJ.

Step your game up and be the company desired, not the company that people feel they have to fall back on because they waited too long to book a preferred company.
    Totally see where you're coming from and you're right on several points.
    However, the cable management is getting under control and I'm working on building a facade to hide the rest so the appearance is shaping up. (Pics soon)

As far as beat matching/mixing, I just don't feel a need for it around here and like Dixieland, I have no real interest in it.
    As long as I can keep a steady flow without it, I'm comfortable with that.
    WillieB69

While this is a bit off topic, it does relate to the clients that I play for, the music that we play down here etc. This is a gig that I have for Friday May 31. I have to say that this is not like most gigs in that about 1/2 of the gigs are a mix of country, pop & Hip Hop genre's. Some are almost totally country & some, like this one enjoys mostly classic rock & some pop. As well, you will notice that this is a mixture of 60's & 70's music. Even though this is a young couple in their 20's, these clients would not appreciate mixing these songs. Also, you will see that she has chosen to list some slow songs. For this gig, I will more than likely play an average mix of 5 or 6 fast songs & 2 slow songs per set. For some of you guys, that's unheard of... its ridiculous. However, it's what happens down here with my clients.

Even though there are some very different songs in this mix, I suspect these two or three songs are songs that they plan to do something special with. I would not think they are for the guests party dance tunes.

But hey, I'll take this gig every weekend....

img045.jpg

img046.jpg