Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Of Us Who Don't Mix And/Or Beatmatch

^^What he said as far as at least being able to beat match and also famous DJ's not really being DJ's.

You play recorded music in front of an audience? You're a dj. Regardless of how simple or complex your performance is. All the majority of listeners want is to hear songs they know and love. They could care less about your scratching & mixing abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Whitman View Post
    I won't disagree with you there, Mic work is important and I am sure you have clients that think your a great DJ but I don't define the term DJ nor do you or really anyone a DJ is what the client makes it out to be I guess, and no offense to you at all as this is going to be an agree to disagree type of thing, but the roots of DJing is beatmatching and beatmixing. Again, this something where I won't be able to convince you one way and you won't be able to convince me the other, it's just like democrats and republicans, its a difference of opinion. I won't knock you and tell you you're wrong and I won't tell you don't call yourself a DJ but in my opinion your more of an "event entertainer" than a DJ which really isn't an insult so don't take it as one.
    I won't take "event entertainer" as an insult.

Riddle me this:
    If mixing and beat matching are the roots of DJing, what were DJs doing before someone started mixing?

That's sorta like saying the Blues are the roots of all music.
    It certainly plays a big part but it's not the whole picture nor is it where everything began.

As you said though, people are going to agree or disagree on the subject. I just don't think anybody should be put down just because they choose not to use every tool in the box when the job only requires some duct tape.
    WillieB69

Great comments thus far. To me a DJ does the following, listed in no particular order:

1. Plays the right music for the venue at the right time.
    2. Knows how to politely handle DJ booth lizards that want to be cool by hanging out with the DJ and making tons of requests.
    3. Has a quick wit on the mic that won't get tongue tied when something goes awry.
    4. Knows what NOT to play or when to play it.
    5. Reads a crowd properly.
    6. Makes the client happy.
    7. Has a significant knowledge of music that fits the venue.
    8. Has the right gear for the venue.
    9. Knows how to help guide a client in picking out music to maximize the success of an event.
    10. Knows and plays appropriate music for a venue.
    11. Knows how to NOT offend a guest by NOT playing an awkward request.
    Not a complete list, but they are what first came to mind.

Every event we do requires these to some degree. Beatmixing and scratching are talents that I appreciate, but I don't see the need to do it in every venue. Actually, since this is the Mobile DJ section and not the Club DJ section of the forums, I don't see nearly as many that need it as some might think. Club? Absolutely. Is that actually Mobile DJing? Not sure. Will I ever attempt to DJ in a club? Never. Weddings, anniversaries, corporate events? Different story. Parties? Some types of party, yes, but not all types.

I also don't take offense to the term 'Event Entertainer' but for brevity, DJ is much easier so that is what I will continue to refer to myself as.
    Last edited by Galager; 05-16-2013 at 04:02 AM.

Every video series... book... blog series about DJ'ing starts with the basics. Beat-matching is usually in this section. I have plenty of events where I set my cross fader to slow until the dancing begins; however, knowing how to beat match, knowing song structure, knowing how to read a crowd, knowing how to transition are all a part of being a DJ (IMO).

When you're DJing a reception or a party.. when does the DJ get "the look" from the crowd? Any time I've gotten that look usually occurs during a rough transition.

If you get paid to transition a set playlist from deck A to deck B, I'm not knockcing your hustle. But if you're doing "that guy" because you are not capable of playing without a prescribed playlist and can't beat match, I would be reluctant to call that person a "DJ".

IMHO
    Beatmatching is a technique that can be used Depending on the genre

Having played various genres over the years I feel that one of the most important things is to have some understanding of the dj culture surrounding the genre of music you are playing and be able to adapt your djing approach to suit

It's not a case of one size fits all

Some genres /songs etc should not be beatmatched
    And by doing so you would possibly be upsetting someone who really knows that music and doesnt want to hear it 'butchered' by the dj

On the other hand , most modern electronic music is built on a beatmatching culture
    Should you be able to mix that ? I think yes
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 05-16-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieB69 View Post
    Personally, I'm in the no mixing camp. (Or beat matching for that matter.) As an event DJ, I don't feel a need for it. Frankly, I don't think I've ever been to a wedding or company event where the DJ was wowing everybody with his/her mixing skills. As long as the flow of the music keeps people dancing and the DJ remembers to follow the itinerary, everybody goes home happy. Mixing just isn't a required skill here. Grandma just doesn't give a damn about some fool screwing up "Last Waltz" by mixing it with "Scream & Shout" by Will.I.Am.
    How can you create a nice flow without keeping the energy? Its important to keep the crowd motivated and energized... How can you keep someone going when your playing down tempo beats until the song ends. I'm big into Phrasing and in the final hour I want to see people sweating and going crazy, not just bopping their head waiting for the next song to come on

KLH made the perfect reply. I'm also bouncing around and not beat matching until the later parts of the evening when I am sticking to one genre.
    *Your Event Matters FaceBook * Your Event Matters Website * MixCloud Account*
    DJs Photography Photo Booth Rentals and Beauty services

Quote Originally Posted by WillieB69 View Post
    I won't take "event entertainer" as an insult.

Riddle me this:
    If mixing and beat matching are the roots of DJing, what were DJs doing before someone started mixing?

That's sorta like saying the Blues are the roots of all music.
    It certainly plays a big part but it's not the whole picture nor is it where everything began.

As you said though, people are going to agree or disagree on the subject. I just don't think anybody should be put down just because they choose not to use every tool in the box when the job only requires some duct tape.
    Willie, again not trying to be a jerk but since you posted the topic about being able to only book 300$ gigs Ive seen you post your setup and comment that you couldnt figure out how to keep the wiring clean (and showed a picture of a mess of a rig)...

Now you're posting about not being able to mix/beat match...

Id hate to say it but you are forming to be the company that most complain about and the one that brings the industry down in the eyes of brides and companies that invest in equipment, seminars, record their performances for reviewing, video their MC interactions to review, go hours early to make sure their lighting rig looks presentable, spends hours a week watching tutorials/practicing new mixing techniques/standing in their living room practicing new introductions and just over all being innovative and creative.

Stop being static.

Take the time to perfect your performance.

Maybe you don't NEED to be a mixing DJ but if you were in my area you wouldn't be working or you will continue to be a 300$ DJ.

Step your game up and be the company desired, not the company that people feel they have to fall back on because they waited too long to book a preferred company.
    *Your Event Matters FaceBook * Your Event Matters Website * MixCloud Account*
    DJs Photography Photo Booth Rentals and Beauty services

SO here is my 2 cents on the whole issue.....

If you are getting paid to provide music to a crowd of people...feel free to call yourself a DJ i guess

But since you have already made an investment in equipment and lighting and obviously want to be a good entertainer then why the HELL would you not learn to mix??
    This is not rocket science here, it's something anyone can grasp the concept of within a few minutes and then build on with a little bit of time, research and practice.

IF you are serious about being a DJ then you should embrace all of the concepts that will make you the best DJ you can be and run with it.

You should practice on a MIC until you sound great and have the confidence to talk to a large crowd of people in a clear and professional manner.

You should take pride in your equipment and keep it looking and sounding as good as it can.

When you set up for a show you should take pride in making your setup look as clean and professional as possible, ala cable management.

Your music collection (that you obtained legally) should be up to date and as expansive as possible to meet all requests you might be given.

You should have a working knowledge of most of the music in your collection so you can work from a request that everyone loves and build a mini set around it.

And for the love of god you should build your skills enough that you can take a couple of songs and mix them together!
    I don't care what crowd you are playing to, if you mix and mix well someone will notice and appreciate you for it.
    http://soundcloud.com/xtremesound/old-school-1
    In a mood for the 80's Lately!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Donnie Lewis View Post
    Willie, again not trying to be a jerk but since you posted the topic about being able to only book 300$ gigs Ive seen you post your setup and comment that you couldnt figure out how to keep the wiring clean (and showed a picture of a mess of a rig)...

Now you're posting about not being able to mix/beat match...

Id hate to say it but you are forming to be the company that most complain about and the one that brings the industry down in the eyes of brides and companies that invest in equipment, seminars, record their performances for reviewing, video their MC interactions to review, go hours early to make sure their lighting rig looks presentable, spends hours a week watching tutorials/practicing new mixing techniques/standing in their living room practicing new introductions and just over all being innovative and creative.

Stop being static.

Take the time to perfect your performance.

Maybe you don't NEED to be a mixing DJ but if you were in my area you wouldn't be working or you will continue to be a 300$ DJ.

Step your game up and be the company desired, not the company that people feel they have to fall back on because they waited too long to book a preferred company.
    Not in agreement with you on this one Donnie. I've seen your setup. Impressive, especially since (if I recall correctly) you put it together in a relatively short amount of time. I don't think I will ever be (nor would I WANT to be) at your level for personal reasons. The point is these forums are for DJs. Not just high end DJs but all DJs. I have come to these forums seeking advice from time to time, grateful for the awesome resource that these forums are. I don't come to these forums to be classified as sub-standard because I don't ever intend to attain your level of amazingness (again... I am NOT trying to be rude... your setup and dedication IS amazing! Take it for the compliment it is intended.) and it fries my bacon when I feel like I need to sit in the back of the bus because of it.

I started DJing because my church needed someone to start playing songs for the youth at youth dances and they didn't have the budget for a professional DJ like yourself. I scraped up my brother's old grunge rock band's powered mixer and speakers, bought a cheap ass mixer, and started playing music for the kids and to serve my God. Over the years (and 2 versions of these forums) I have slowly upgraded my gear, honed the skills I think necessary to serve my church and other clientele I market to, raised my prices (church is still and always will be free), and have become a better DJ. I am not a DJ. I am a Dad, husband, Christian, and citizen first... then I am a DJ. This is not the focus of my existence. It never will be nor do I ever want it to be. That doesn't mean I (am people like myself) don't want to be a part of this community because we find value in it. Don't judge me for not charging over $1000 minimum for a gig, not beatmixing, not having all the fancy uplighting, etc. etc. etc. because with out me and many DJs like me many many many more people would be deprived of making their special day or event just that much better by having somebody who cares, knows their music, has the right equipment, the mic skills, etc. etc. etc.

Also, think on this... if you regularly find value in some of the topics these forums generate, a GURANTEE much of what you find valuable comes from DJs of less stature than yourself (like myself) and you may not even know it.

*climbs off soap box* umm... a little off topic. Sorry about that. Got a little carried away.

From what I can tell Donnie, you are a pretty damn good DJ. You've done amazing things in a very short amount of time. Keep working your magic, make others happy, and always, always help your fellows DJs in these forums, not the opposite.

*climbs off the soap box... again* Good day.
    Last edited by Galager; 05-16-2013 at 09:13 AM.