Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is better: Windows or MacOS?

Mos, you know I respect your opinion. Here's my response...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    The MacOS platform is closed as Apple rules it with an iron fist. Hardware is only upgraded yearly and (AFAIK) no applications are released on it without testing and approval from Apple. As such, MacOS software tends to be well made and very well tested. Of course, the downside is that there is less software available for it... and what is available tends to be expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Completely wrong. OS X ships with a Developer Tools installation that includes an IDE and compilers/interpreters for every major programming langauge. In addition, it can run the largest bulk of open source software designed for Linux or Unix, usually with very few changes. There are a lot of third-party packages for OS X that will never show up in the App Store. Not only can you get software from anywhere you like, you can write your own in a more simple and straightforward way than on Windows. And Apple's GUI APIs are more straightforward than the Windows versions. OS X ships with good toolkits that very much simplify the process.
    Wait... what are we disagreeing on? If we remove FOSS - which is more abundant on Windows - can you still disagree with what I've stated? Third-party packages ARE available, but there are less than what is available on Windows. Due to less competition, prices of the software tends to be higher on MacOS. If you disagree, well then, we'll simply have to disagree.

Still, the platform itself does not change often (beyond the yearly refreshes) and that has led to the perception of stability. Encouraging that perception, Apple itself optimizes the hardware and OS for real-time audio as Apple makes software (GarageBand, Logic) that uses that capability.
    Also wrong. OS X runs Audio software better out of the box because of really technical differences between the Windows and OS X kernels (a part of the OS). There's no such thing as DPC latency on OS X not because Apple has already optimized the system but because Windows is the only OS in the world that uses Deffered Procedure Calls. It's a horrible abominaton of scheduling that allows 3rd party software (or more commonly drivers) to delay processing of other system insructions until they're done…with basically no safeguards for sanity.
    Windows DPCs = MacOS Tasklets. Apple prioritizes tasklets associated with multimedia by default. Windows does not. Apple uses CoreAudio to prioritize its tasklets where Steinberg's ASIO does it with Windows DPCs. CoreAudio is a better implementation in that it's natively prioritized by the OS. WaveRT (RT was for Real Time) was supposed to be Microsoft's answer to CoreAudio, but it didn't catch on (and didn't work on USB) so Windows users use ASIO.

IMHO we are saying the same thing...

To some extent, the line "Macs just work, but you pay for it" is valid. But the cost differences are not nearly as stark as you claim. The difference between an Apple and a PC that might perform as well winds up about 50-cents (USD) per day over the life of the computer, assuming you buy a new one every time the warranty runs out.

For less than the cost of a cup of coffee at Waffle House, you get better built hardware, an OS that was actually designed well, more access to free software, and a more customizable environment. Or you can buy that cup of coffee, come out spending more money, and have to know a lot about hardware to make sure your new computer works.

Apples are–in most ways–more open than PCs. Most software for Linux will work on OS X. They're solid in terms of both stability and physical build quailty. They have an amazing warranty with 1-to-1 human support available for free even if the computer is out of warranty (though repairs out of warranty do cost money if it's not a simple fix).
    I agree with this entire rant.

I will also agree that if quality hardware is matched apple-to-apple (pun intended), the Windows PC will typically be more expensive. MacOS laptops are more expensive than the cheapest Windows laptops, but they do typically have significantly more quality than those cheap Windows laptops.

Still, IMHO $1k for a MB Air is fairly steep considering that the CPU and graphics won't really be tapped - even with a DVS. At ~$700, I believe most Windows laptops to be a better value for DJing than the MBAs or MBPs... but that's my opinion.

Now where's that beer? I'm buyin', Mos...

-KLH

Quote Originally Posted by Schreiber View Post
    That just made my night L0ckd0wn giving me neg rep for saying Mac was a better choice... Then turning around & saying the exact same thing.
    There is no winner here on which platform is better, you and Mostapha disagree. He gave some specific examples because he knew what he was talking about, you did not and have not.

I'm a unix/osx power user. And while I've had jobs involving PC support and IIS administration, I'm not convinced there's such a thing as a Windows power user.
    Obviously you don't work in the corporate world, which is basicly completely run off of MS' version of LDAP known as Active Directory. If you are just trying to throw stones, then throw stones, but to make such a statement is just trying to start a pissing contest. But this is tangent-ing away from the OP again, and I'm just responding to your redirection.

Nothing I've seen for windows is as powerful as text editors are on OS X (an other unixes), and there are ways to recover from serious issues that would require a reinstall on windows.
    Sounds like an ignorance problem, not a knowledge problem. I recover OS problems all the time, it's part of my job.

Could you explain the ivory tower comment, I don't get it.
    Apple fanatics, like you are being here, make the claim of such huge superiority, like you are doing here, and really they just all together avoid any of the actual problems that do exist on the operating system. It's totally fine, it's just the same type of "holier than thou" which everyone comes to expect from the black turtleneck crowd. Unlike most of your Apple users, I'm not going to claim that there is this end-all solution for DJing wonder, no matter what dawns in the software world because it's all just software; full of bugs and imperfect ways of doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by silentsounds View Post
    Lol, when will people realize that no one ever wins this argument.

As I've always maintained, use whatever suits your needs. Just make an informed decision.
    It's always the same thing; there is always going to be someone standing on top of a hill claiming that they or what they represent is king of the mountain while behind them is all the reasons they are ignoring to make the claim.
    Last edited by l0ckd0wn; 02-27-2012 at 07:39 PM.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell | "Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Well Im gonna launch my missles!

Missle one.......... blast off..........

My Dell cost me 3x less than the apple equivelent to my PC.....
    WOOOW that was a good hit......YES!

OK captian. Lets launch the other missle....... blast off!..........

My PC is 8gb memory 750gig harddrive, 2.93 gig hertz, and plays blurays....
    Not a bad hit captian...... YES!

Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymusic View Post
    Well Im gonna launch my missles!

Missle one.......... blast off..........

My Dell cost me 3x less than the apple equivelent to my PC.....
    WOOOW that was a good hit......YES!
    Missile Defense I: my 15" macbook pro cost me $850.... explosion diverted...

Missile Defense II: i dont play blu-rays for clients, 2.4ghz dualcore at 4gb ram performs gigs just as well as ur PC, and 1TB firewire 800 connection external drive also readable by Win user.... close... but still no explosion...
    Last edited by jazzyj; 02-27-2012 at 09:01 PM.
    - jj -

Mos, you know I respect your opinion. Here's my response...

Wait... what are we disagreeing on? If we remove FOSS - which is more abundant on Windows - can you still disagree with what I've stated? Third-party packages ARE available, but there are less than what is available on Windows. Due to less competition, prices of the software tends to be higher on MacOS. If you disagree, well then, we'll simply have to disagree.

Windows DPCs = MacOS Tasklets. Apple prioritizes tasklets associated with multimedia by default. Windows does not. Apple uses CoreAudio to prioritize its tasklets where Steinberg's ASIO does it with Windows DPCs. CoreAudio is a better implementation in that it's natively prioritized by the OS. WaveRT (RT was for Real Time) was supposed to be Microsoft's answer to CoreAudio, but it didn't catch on (and didn't work on USB) so Windows users use ASIO.

IMHO we are saying the same thing...

I agree with this entire rant.

I will also agree that if quality hardware is matched apple-to-apple (pun intended), the Windows PC will typically be more expensive. MacOS laptops are more expensive than the cheapest Windows laptops, but they do typically have significantly more quality than those cheap Windows laptops.

Still, IMHO $1k for a MB Air is fairly steep considering that the CPU and graphics won't really be tapped - even with a DVS. At ~$700, I believe most Windows laptops to be a better value for DJing than the MBAs or MBPs... but that's my opinion.

Now where's that beer? I'm buyin', Mos...

-KLH
    Not to mention that even if the apple really did last twice as long as a PC. THis would not matter to me because computers go out of date within 5 years ANYWAY! I update my computer every few years regardless whether my computer works good or not. For instance I had my HP desktop for now 4 years. Been really good to me, and never had complaints with running capable programs etc etc. BUT more newer technology having come. NOW my desktop and my Gateway laptop is going out of date quickly. I get new PCs every few years. As they get better and cheaper over the years

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyj View Post
    Missile Defense I: my 15" macbook pro cost me $850.... explosion diverted...
    You got yours used though

Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymusic View Post
    You got yours used though
    1 yr old. how old is ur PC?
    - jj -

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyj View Post
    1 yr old. how old is ur PC?
    Where did you get it! I want one! When I was looking at laptops last year, I saw that the lowest price for a mac, I think I saw something like $1300. That was for a 13" one, I think. Then I was looking at a mac that had about the same specs as my PC. I saw like $2200. Damn.

$850 for yours, thats a good price! But its hard to get that price for me anyway.

Well to answer your question, my Dell is 1 yr old. But I bought mine new. Its an upper model cause I need a good one since I have an AVCHD video collection. And these files demand lots of computer power. My PC was $800 last year. But probably can buy that same one today for about $600... I think

The geekdom is strong in here.....damn nerds

init 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc S View Post
    lmao. half this website could be lazy-o's dad