Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 528

Thread: Which is better: Windows or MacOS?

  1. #11
    Member Schreiber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
    You didn't explain your original claim, so lets hear it.
    I would, but it looks like Mostapha's pretty much taken care if it already. Rep to him.

  2. #12
    Member jazzyj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,334
    CoreAudio seems to be at the root of why os x > win 7 for realtime audio.

    PS - my 1yr old macbook pro 15" cost $850.
    - jj -

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,122
    Mac do turn a lot of people into utter cocks though. That's one massive downside that people rarely consider.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,254
    That's crap. Linux turned me into a cock when I realized I could actually do things with my computer without worrying about it. OS X just didn't break that and lets me run real software.

  5. #15
    Member Divercity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    326
    This thread:

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Except for the fact that you don't actually understand the differences, I agree with this advice.

    It's hard to cut through all the bullshit
    You're right, and as much fact as you put in towards the Apple side of things, Apple still has it's own issues time and time again.

    Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    To some extent, the line "Macs just work, but you pay for it" is valid. But the cost differences are not nearly as stark as you claim. The difference between an Apple and a PC that might perform as well winds up about 50-cents (USD) per day over the life of the computer, assuming you buy a new one every time the warranty runs out.
    Where did you pull this number from? This statement reminds me of the fallacy of "statistical data" that is manufactured the moment it is said.

    *Also going off of personal anecdotes, I have a gateway laptop that I've had for upwards of 5 years now, old CoreDuo 2.0 that still runs like a champ, especially with Win7.


    Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    For less than the cost of a cup of coffee at Waffle House, you get better built hardware, an OS that was actually designed well, more access to free software, and a more customizable environment. Or you can buy that cup of coffee, come out spending more money, and have to know a lot about hardware to make sure your new computer works.
    You are trying to tell us that there is more available software for OSX than Windows? Are you serious right now? More over, wtf does it matter when dealing with the OP?


    That whole little sentiment about rewriting xorg.conf is totally BS too, mostly because your average user, on par with your average producer/dj/music professional, does not go to such levels and does not have the expertise to complete such a task.

    If we are going to be honest about this, let's be honest; for a person that has a deep understanding of Darwin and how *BSD or Linux works, Apple is a clear choice because of the nuances of the way the OS is written. For users that have very little brain power and need to operate in a sandbox for their own good; Apple is also a clear choice (this statement is targeted at ANY new user, repeat ANY). For any person that has a basic understanding of Windows and understands how to use the basic functionality (un/installing hardware/software, updating, knowing how the Control Panel works), a PC will be just fine.

    It's this whole ivory tower of Apple mentality that really kills this argument for me from anyone on the Apple side, and it's the same fluff every time.

    Like KLH said;

    There are some advantages and disadvantages of using either platform, and it's completely dependent upon the person using the system of whether or not they will find ease and/or success while using their chosen platform.



    PS

    This thread should just be stickied in the "Digital DJing" equipment section once and for all.
    Last edited by l0ckd0wn; 02-27-2012 at 06:36 PM.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell | Hello, do you have time to talk to about our lord and savior, Cthullu? | Those that justify torture are abominations to humanity.

  7. #17
    Member Schreiber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    128
    That just made my night L0ckd0wn giving me neg rep for saying Mac was a better choice... Then turning around & saying the exact same thing.

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,254
    OS X has more software available for it. Go look at the FOSS repositories for a start. Macports is a decent one. Autodesk makes Mac versions. There are like one or two DAWs that are windows only, but Logic easily balances fl studio and sonar, and I don't even like it that much. A lot of games come out on OS X now, but I'll give you that one. That being said, I haven't played a game on anything but Xboxes or play stations in years. Consoles are kind of just better for what I want to do when I want to play a game.

    As for the xorg.conf comment, that was supposed to be an extreme example. But here's the thing. I've done that. It's not routine maintenance. But I've done it. Repeatedly. I'm a unix/osx power user. And while I've had jobs involving PC support and ISS administration, I'm not convinced there's such a thing as a Windows power user.

    Nothing I've seen for windows is as powerful as text editors are on OS X (an other unixes), and there are ways to recover from serious issues that would require a reinstall on windows.

    If you know nothing about computers, OS X is a better choice, as you said.

    If you know enough to make windows perform as well without blindly following advice, OS X gives you more, better tools.

    In that way, Windows is more of a "trust me" kind of thing. You have to trust the advice of random people on the Internet to make your computer work or know enough to get more out of OS X.

    As for the cost issue, no statistics...I calculated it. Similarly-spec'd random PC someone suggested vs. the Mac I would have bought...subtract and divide by the number of days.

    Could you explain the ivory tower comment, I don't get it.

    And I agree this should be stickies. Leave it and close down all the others.
    Last edited by mostapha; 02-27-2012 at 06:51 PM.

  9. #19
    Member silentsounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    D.C. Metro Area, USA
    Posts
    258
    Lol, when will people realize that no one ever wins this argument.

    As I've always maintained, use whatever suits your needs. Just make an informed decision.

    A lot of the discussion above just doesn't seem to be related to DJing so let's get back on topic.

  10. #20
    Member FireyFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by silentsounds View Post
    Lol, when will people realize that no one ever wins this argument.

    As I've always maintained, use whatever suits your needs. Just make an informed decision.

    A lot of the discussion above just doesn't seem to be related to DJing so let's get back on topic.
    Correction, let's get back off topic. This isn't the general forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
a