View Poll Results: Marco Bass vs Baller95 vs DJ Armani - Commercial Battle: Who should win?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mix 1

1 4.76%
  • Mix 2

0 0%
  • Mix 3

20 95.24%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marco Bass vs Baller95 vs DJ Armani - Commercial Battle

Marco Bass vs Baller95 vs DJ Armani - Commercial Battle

Mix 1

Mix 2

Mix 3

Rules:
    ~15min
    No autosync
    Effects/scratching allowed
    Loser must include link to winners mix and fan page(facebook) in sig for all of July.

Mix 3 Killed it!! That transition into Shots!! Could even feel it coming without the lmfao track playing

Mix 1- Transitions were on point, but would have really liked to hear you keep them going for a little longer. I would be getting into the track, but they would be mixed into the next track fairly quickly (understandable for being a quick mix.) Overall, the track selection was okay for me; not my style, but I could definitely envision this set in a club/party setting in the city. As the mixed progressed, 9:30 and beyond had my head nodding. I would say that was the climax point for the entire mix. Come to around 12:03 there was a little slip up that threw the flow the mix off just a little. At 12:37 I was like, “Man he should of used this one for the climax point.” The Sweet Nothing track was a good closer.

What I liked the most: The flow of the mix until 12:37. Started off low and got me to that high point.

What I disliked the most: Nothing really. If anything, I would say the slip up @12:37 and the first few tracks (all personal opinion though).

Mix 2- The first track started off weird for me; kind of like it was in the middle of a mix and that point was “cut” and a “fade in” was added. First transition at around (1:47? 2:00? 2:15?) was great. You held it for a while and it mixed into the next song seamlessly. I couldn’t even tell where the initial mix in point was as you can tell from above. I’m at 6 minutes and you know what you’re doing with your levels; seamless. I’m about 12minutes it and the song selection still doesn’t have me as engaged as mix one did.

What I liked the most: Your eqing. You know what you’re doing. I appreciate the precise knob twisting/turning madness that, I’m sure, was going on behind the scenes.

What I disliked the most: The introduction. The presentation of the first track really threw me off and I couldn’t get it out of mind.

Mix 3- I’m not really a fan of quick mixing unless it’s executed in a unique way that catches my “ear.” The first transition into the Minaj (err.. Missy) verse had me like, “Oh shit. . . Surprise!” It just popped in for like 1 ½-2 bars maybe and It didn’t sound off as it fit right in. The whole vibe of your song selection is definitely aimed for the club setting. The “shots” loop chopping into the LMFAO track was genius and perfectly executed. I’ve heard a quite a few djs do something similar with other tracks and it always makes me feel tingly inside when I hear something like that. MJ MJ MJ. . . 9:05 a sign of hope! I’m a sucker for any type of vinyl manipulation and in your case, the backspin. Your quick mixing skills are good. You know your music and know when to drop a track. It almost sounds like several songs combined into one track. However, I doubt that is the case.

What I liked the most: It has the be the shots transition.

What I disliked the most: The fact I thought the Missy verse was nikki minaj...smh

All three mixes had their good and bad points. Narrowing down to two: Mix 1 and Mix 3 are very close to each other. On one hand I actually felt that ride to the top for mix one. On the other hand Mix three has some clever technical skills.
    …..Mix…th…one
    Last edited by BOWNSIR; 05-12-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Dammit Missy!!
    | str8-150 | Z2 |
    youtube

Mix 1: Pretty tight, very smooth transitions, no tricks or anything.
    Mix 2: Really didn't like the track selection. I know this is a commercial battle, but ew. Probably could have used an intro.
    Mix 3: Very clever sequencing, great work. A little more variation would have made this the clear winner.

This is difficult, I liked 1 and 3 a lot. I'll think about it a little more.

thanks for the feedback guys!
    Confidence, and hard work is the key to success in anything. Lost track of battle record
    http://www.soundcloud.com/djarmanicee

Thanks for the feedback! ill give these a listen when I can

Just listened to all three mixes......
    Mix 1...Technically good with smooth and tidy transitions, except for one that was a little untidy. Generally good tracks that sequenced well. A good all round (safe) mix.

Mix 2....Messy start which was a shame really because the transitions in the mix on the whole were tidy. Not my favorite choice of tracks although they worked together unfortunately I wasn't feeling the vibe with it in general.End of the mix seemed to just 'cut off'.

Mix 3....On point transitions! some executed very cleverly with perfection. I loved the tracks (great choice) and they all worked extremely well together.
    The whole mix had great vibe and energy to it. I love how your confident shows through.
    No doubt your best mix to date....!

My vote goes for mix 3..

In order of preference...mix 3 then mix 1 and then mix 2

Great job guys!
    Last edited by Dharry; 05-12-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Thanks for the feedback dharry! I gave em all a listen this morning and I got to say, you two did a great job! This is serious competition so good luck boys!

I've repped everyone that has left a feedback
    Last edited by Baller95; 05-12-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Will try to remember to listen to these in the morning. I just realised what time it is
    I'm too cool to have some kind of elitist quote in my signature.

DAMN! THIS WAS A BATTLE!!! I had to listen to all three mixes TWICE to settle upon a winner. Wow. I was blown away. THIS was great. Alright, enough amazement. Let's get down to bizzness!

Mix 1
    Nice open. You can't go bad with Daft Punk. I liked the track selection on this mix but I felt that there were too many drops in energy caused by mixing into intros. I bet that if you skipped intros altogether (except for beginning of the mix), you'd maintain some serious energy. Going from first chorus to extended intro to first chorus to extended intro just drops too much energy, IMHO. Drive it home brutha! Don't give anyone a break. This is 15 minutes of heart pumpin' action! Still, the mixing was on point (except for one case) and used nice ramps, cuts, and blends.

High Point: I really liked the vocal-to-vocal of I cry to Feel This Moment (~4:45). I really liked how you put the beat from the new track into the old track for a while so that the transition is smooth like it was designed that way by producers. Magic.

Low Point: Poor transition at 12:02 as you jump between Levels mashups. I don't know if it was because the pitch of the two weren't the same, but it was enough to make me stop and take notice and the flow was great until then.

Start/End: Straight track open. No problem. End was a guy saying "Ain't nothing sweet" with an echo that sounded like "tweet, tweet, tweet..." Huh?

Mix 2
    We've gotta figure this mono thing out, Mr. DJ. I hate listening to mono unless there's 10,000 watt sub knocking the air out of me in a club. We'll just table the mono issue.

Let's talk about the mix. I loved the tracks, so great selection there. The mixing was fine. There were the normal blends and echos (a personal favorite) so I can't complain - nicely done.

High Point: Great remix of Pumped Up Kicks and even better was the Where Dem Girls At vs Sexy And I Know It mashup. The fact that they were back to back made me get into this mix big time!

Low Point: The blend into the track in 13:25 caused a massive drop in energy as the vocalist did his/her thing.

Start/End: Fade into a mashup. Ok. End was the low point. By the time the energy attempts to come back, the mix is faded out BEFORE the crowdgasm point. This is an aural c*ck tease! CRIMINAL!!!

Mix 3
    After listening to two mixes, I wondered if I really needed to listen to this one. This one was worth listening to... as they all are. This one pulled some transitions that I'd like to know how was done... as I have ideas, but would like confirmation. By the way, there was a drop of white noise that appeared throughout the mix, was that a drop? Enough with the mystery, let's get to it!

High Point: There were two because of the transitions that were EXPERTLY done. The first was Last Friday Night going into Shots at 3:35. Awesome. The second was transition from I'm Sexy and I Know It into Turn Up the Music at 6:54. The lyrics play right into each other. Boss skills right there; I may have to cop that transition!

Start/End: Both great. Kesha at the beginning and a brake at the end. Well done.

While I was moved on all three, I had to vote for Mix 3!

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...