Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: RANT on Piracy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by peterwo2e View Post
    music pirates and those that are against it but yet some are hypocrites. is a moral issue can't prove the next dj is a pirate. just like you can't prove your friendly priest is a pedophile. i' been a member of a few mp3 record pool's and video pools i can't prove that their music is legal or illegal but I'm lining somebody's pocket. i feel good and i leave it at that,
    IMO dodgy DJ pools are worse than piracy and anyone who buys from one should make sure that it's legit. Make sure your money is going to the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    The difference there, is that if a DJ is playing your entire mixtape in a bar then he's almost certainly doing that to pass it off as something he'd made. That would be the equivalent of me posting a track by The Prodigy in the production section on here and saying "I made this!", so it's not the same thing as piracy.

If you even put up a mixtape on SoundCloud in the first place, then you're guilty of copyright infringement just like pirates, unless you get clearance for all of the tracks.

My attitude to piracy is "try before you buy, but don't forget the 'buy' part when you like something". Back when I was a kid, people at school used to make mixtapes for each other (unmixed comps on tapes) and that would get them into certain singers or bands, which means they then became a fan and went on to buy their records. It's probably why some research done into this yields results like this: -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...buy-more-music
    Agreed! I would also add I 1000% support file sharing. File sharing is not piracy. I refuse to believe the illogical non-sense that a file is not my property and I don't have the right to do with it as I please. bullsh*t!! I have no problem with what A Trak did. Back in the day DJ's always trading records. Most of us from those days don't accept a file as license and not property. Look at J Rocc and DJ Spinna and other remixers they trade the actual master studio tracks amongst themselves. It is known by the labels when certain remixers work on a project that the remixers will trade files with their peers. It's not a secret.

People need to face facts file sharing is the new radio, the new vehicle to get noticed,gain listeners and customers of your brand. As a blogger for over 6 years I dropped plenty of albums by little known artists on my site and many thanked me for promoting their stuff. File sharing is my view is not piracy! Piracy is using another product for your sole benefit such selling a copy of DVD on street. File sharing between dj's or blogposting is no different promotion giveaways in my opinion and I will never change my mind on that.

music pirates and those that are against it but yet some are hypocrites. is a moral issue can't prove the next dj is a pirate. just like you can't prove your friendly priest is a pedophile. i' been a member of a few mp3 record pool's and video pools i can't prove that their music is legal or illegal but I'm lining somebody's pocket. i feel good and i leave it at that,
    Very few DJ pools are 100% legal. Even older establish pools sell "illegal" downloads. If you pool allows to download a track older than 5 years (unless the material has been released by labels) it's an illegal download. DJ Pools are for new music and not intended to be sound libraries for deejays. However since a pool is a business they give their customers what they want and the labels look the other way about it since most labels don't make any money from pools anyway. There looked upon at promotion giveaways by labels. Artists,songwriters,producers don't receive any royalties from pools.

Just a few thoughts:

Hey didn't we used to get paid loads more? I mean really us DJs used to get paid large amounts because we had to buy large amounts of vinyl, that's gone now, so where do we get paid to buy our tunes?

I don't pirate myself, I gets my tunes from cheap MP3 sites, does it upset me that the artists of the chart swill I'm buying only get 15 pence per track, not in the slightest.

I only pay full price for tunes that I love and that happens about 3-4 times a month

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanee View Post
    Just a few thoughts:

Hey didn't we used to get paid loads more? I mean really us DJs used to get paid large amounts because we had to buy large amounts of vinyl, that's gone now, so where do we get paid to buy our tunes?

I don't pirate myself, I gets my tunes from cheap MP3 sites, does it upset me that the artists of the chart swill I'm buying only get 15 pence per track, not in the slightest.

I only pay full price for tunes that I love and that happens about 3-4 times a month

i know producers and Label owners who say the same, the money has disappeared along with the record shops and distributors, who is making the money from the small amount of people who actually BUY digital tracks, look into it man, fcuking con job bro.

Last edited by BuddyUK; 02-27-2012 at 06:43 PM.

this is exactly my point. when i join a music pool i ask them if they are legit they say %100 percent YES. are they B.S ? who do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamza21 View Post
    Agreed! I would also add I 1000% support file sharing. File sharing is not piracy. 1. I refuse to believe the illogical non-sense that a file is not my property and I don't have the right to do with it as I please. bullsh*t!! I have no problem with what A Trak did. 2. Back in the day DJ's always trading records. Most of us from those days don't accept a file as license and not property. 3. Look at J Rocc and DJ Spinna and other remixers they trade the actual master studio tracks amongst themselves. It is known by the labels when certain remixers work on a project that the remixers will trade files with their peers. It's not a secret.
    1. your opinion but nothing to back it up. just because you "refuse to believe it" does not make it right

2. keyword is TRADE. nobody has more in the end.

3. it is their own work. not somebody else's
    Quote Originally Posted by EarnYourKeep
    name one dj that can replicate richie's drums in a minimal techno way, this coming from a plastikman background...then again i figure trance heads would respond this way they always seek the BUILD UP AND DROP THE BASS BRO

- jj -

Quote Originally Posted by Era 7 View Post
    1. your opinion but nothing to back it up. just because you "refuse to believe it" does not make it right
    My experience backs it up and it's your opinion it's not right. Look I stated before I will never deviate from the position I can not do as I please with my property.

2. keyword is TRADE. nobody has more in the end.
    file sharing is trading.

3. it is their own work. not somebody else's
    You're wrong who wons the copyright to motown songs? not J Rocc or DJ Spinna. When they are given the master studio master tracks to remix they also make copies and trade the master tracks between themselves. There is about dozen or so famous dj's who do this and the labels know about but look the other way .

this is exactly my point. when i join a music pool i ask them if they are legit they say %100 percent YES. are they B.S ? who do you ask?
    A dj pool is not an online music service for deejays. It is promotion device for labels to release new artists and gain promotion for established artists. Unless the material is was re-released recently you shouldn't see any music older then 10 years old. Most online DJ Pools are only 5 - 10 years old and they don't have permission to rip any track they want and provide to their customers. Again no Dj pool is 100% legal nowadays since most pools allow anybody to join. If a pool doesn't have what the majority of clients (dj's) want then they will go elsewhere so pools in order to keep their client base satisfied resort to illegally provide any song their clients want. That's not how a DJ Pool is supposed to operate.