Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A possible extra to the rep system...

Cool A possible extra to the rep system...

Just an idea that I've been mulling in my mind for a few weeks/ months, I like the DJF rep system and by and large it does a decent job.

However, since DJF V2, there is an increase in DJs who have the full set of repstars, but have just owned their equipment for weeks.

Great guys and they deserve their DJF status and they are allowed an opinion. It's just that in DJ experience terms they're still noobs, this can lead to a devaluing of DJF's opinion.

Maybe a symbol, mini jpg in signature, a marker, or something to show that, although well regarded, they are still beginners, like "L" learner plates

Another group who could do with a label, are the under 20s, cool guys all, far better than I was at that age by a long shot. But I've heard some terrible advice, coming out from kids who have yet sprouted facial hair. Maybe an underage 18 crossed out or something?

Thirdly and most controversial, what about the DJs that are strictly underground? Fair play for keeping it real ; but commenting on realms of DJing that you do not have the 15 years + experience in, well there has been some shocking gross assumptions, that could be very harmful if acted on.

A simple: "stricly underground" logo or something, would add a world of context to somebody's advice to "just play what's currently in the charts and you will be fine".

Similarly the same for the mobile bunch, many of you are strictly mobile, hell most of you say anyways. Actually I remember only one real clanger, when a mobile DJ advised an underground club DJ "to play tunes that girls know and you will be fine" (or something can't really remember).

"strictly Mobile" for them?

I would even say it wouldn't per se be compulsory, this could be done VOLUNTARILY, with that person being immune to neg rep for things said in confessed ignorance (they could appeal or something ) .

This way, the integrity of DJF could be preserved in the eye of the casual beholder, unaware of members histories.

Good idea, but who hands out the labels? There are TONS of members on here. If we were to allow anybody to choose what they thought they were, it would be a total nightmare.

^^

Could be a Mod thing, could be voluntary; restricted maybe to those who have loads of rep.

I'd make the labels myself, except I have not a single shred of visual design talent . Anyone wanna have a go?

I like the idea of this and earning different icons but they should be seen more as awards to be achieved rather than labels to break away from. I don't know the stats but I bet DJF gets a good stream of new visitors who either stay for a while and then leave or they stick around, contribute and become long term members and this can be measured too.

How it all works would need to be thrashed out and that is the problem because I don't think DJF has a team of active developers working on coding on a daily basis and reacting to feedback. It's a shame because I think DJF could be achieving so much more especially as DJing has never been so popular. I'm not trying to be critical of the site in its current state but I think an overhaul is overdue.

I'm going to start making some labels.

Something like this maybe?
    Last edited by niarta; 11-10-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanee View Post
    A simple: "stricly underground" logo or something, would add a world of context to somebody's advice to "just play what's currently in the charts and you will be fine".
    Actually....that label combined with that advice should probably get someone flamed.

There are problems with the rep system, I've been negative repped for expressing an opinion in off topic, even though I never use profanity and don't name call.

Still, most people use the system appropriately and I think it works OK. Also, I usually preface any advice I give by telling people I am new to DJing.

I've shared info about the products I've purchased while building my system, and have received +rep for it. And despite being new to DJing, I am an IT professional and have been building computers for decades, so my advice on computer issues may be of more value.

Hmm. This would work if the system was automated. Maybe if you picked from a few options when you went to rep someone, ex this person made a good point about the topic or this person is very knowledgeable in this field, then explained in a comment box how that applied, that would work well. Based on how many votes he got in a rep category, he could automatically be assigned a badge, like "computer junkie" or something like that.

" I'M NOT A SYMBOL .... I am a free man "
    For anyone who don't know what that means >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_...he_Prisoner%29

Sounds like a good idea ... Heres one for new members like me

TBH Jim, I think if you are giving advice to someone who is a different type of DJ to you, then you should make that known.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    There are problems with the rep system, I've been negative repped for expressing an opinion in off topic, even though I never use profanity and don't name call.
    Possibly what you have said has been construed as offensive, you don't need to use profanity to cause major offense. That said people need to get a grip and stop negging just because you don't agree with anyone. I pretty much never hand out neg rep.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"