Thread: Using Loops

Using Loops

Recently, I have been trying to halve loops to create a build-up into a breakdown, but am unable to make it "smooth." I usually have an 8 bar loop to a 4, to 2 to 1 to 1/2....but can't get it to sound smooth when I try to drop in a breakdown of another song. Any tips and comments are appreciated.

So, i take it you have the other track on the other deck right? When you want to move to that track i would use the crossfader, much quicker than upfaders.

Also, when you halve the loop make sure you do it at regular intervals. E.g every 4 beats or every 8 beats. This helps a lot with making it smoother and more natural.

Other than that, just keep practicing until you get it perfect. That's the key
    Please take a look at (and feel free to follow) my soundcloud
    http://soundcloud.com/alexreeduk
    And PLEASE like my facebook page, would mean a lot!

I would semi-gradually drop the volume on the looped clip while bringing up the volume on the second deck into the breakdown, to create a sort of "wash" sound that is present in most tracks today. The crossfader is probably the easiest way to do this, but you have a lot more control over the volume of each track by using both upfaders and can make it sound much cleaner.

Here's my question, what are you using to trigger the loops? I've tried this exact thing with the loop knobs on my X1/S4, and they work flawlessly. What kind of controller are you using or are you using CDJ's? If you're using a mouse, it could just be your timing or maybe there's a delay between when you push the button and when the software reacts.
    Last edited by contra; 05-07-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    rape stork

Timing, is the most important part but I never really viewed this as a smooth transition tool. It kinda builds a peak that the next song has to run with or it sounds dead which isn't always bad but not smooth.

I am using a pioneer ddi-ergo and serato. For some reason I just cant get it to sound "smooth." I remember hearing one of Laidback Luke's set and it just sounded so flawless, not matter how many times I try....nothing even comes close to resembling what he did.

Are you halving the loop too early? If you're in a 1/4 loop for instance, going 1_2_3_4_1_2_3_4_, you need to hit the half button after the 4th beat, for example, not in the middle of the 4th beat. Otherwise it'll chop too early, and you'll get 1_2_3_4_1_2_3412341234, when you're looking for 1_2_3_4_1_2_3_4_12341234. Not sure if that's what you're running into, haha, that's the problem that I'm actually trying to practice my way out of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MR MIZUN0 View Post
    I am using a pioneer ddi-ergo and serato. For some reason I just cant get it to sound "smooth." I remember hearing one of Laidback Luke's set and it just sounded so flawless, not matter how many times I try....nothing even comes close to resembling what he did.
    Lol but that's Laidback Luke!