Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Requiring "x" amount of posts to post a mix or track submission

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_G3N3R4L View Post
    I agree with you in part. However, as I said, the rating system means nothing unless users are actively rating mixes, and rating them in an honest enough fashion to generate 'trustworthy' feedback.

No stars .. or 5 stars based on the rating of the submitter and maybe a friend or two. That doesn't really work. The community needs to feed into the sub forum in addition to improving the way they interact with it.
    I agree. I don't think the submitter should be able to rate their own mix. Also, I definitely agree that people should use the star rating system more - and use it for ratings other than 5 stars.

But the question is, how do you encourage that? Why are people not using the rating system, or if they do, they pretty much only use it when they rate a mix 5 stars? Is it because they just forget it's there? But these are things the admins should be finding out about.

You could give your rating level 'power'... the more you rate, the more heavy your rating is?

Something similar to rep... when sets get lots of good rep, or stars they can become more visible.. separate title color or moved into a premium set area?

Just throwing ideas into the ring.

Banned
    I think those are great ideas, but it's probably hard to implement them unless there's specific add-ons for vBulletin that do exactly that.

I think a separate section for 5 star rated mixes would be great though, as long as it was made harder to get a 5 star rating so that people didn't just game the system.

DJF could do a monthly newsletter via email too. Pick a random 5 star mix of the month. Push the ratings system. That kind of thing.

Banned
    I've made a thread in the Mix Subs section to try and push the ratings system.

Admins - Is there a way to block people from rating their own mixes?

I coined the idea again in a recent beginners thread, considering the amount of junk posted by one-post members. I reckon you should earn your membership before being able to clog up the mix submissions forums with pointless amounts of crap that no one will look at anyway.

Waste of data on one side, waste of space for every other true member. Imagine having to dust and do the cobwebs in your attic every time you attempt to have a look. I know there is a function in Vbulletin that is specifically built for that, for purposes such as preventing unwanted scammers in for the sale sections of forums.

Either that or have a mix forum for noobs who want feedback and a mix forum for those of us who have been at this a while and the well respected DJs who post mixes, Umek etc.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

I'm not sure how many of my mixes are listened to. I try to listen to at least one mix a day, but I admit I rarely comment. I guess it's much the same for everyone, as I have noticed that I get more listens to my mixes if I post on here.

For example, recently I have entered a few mixes into the battle forums. Now these mixes I upload to mixcloud also, and post them on facebook and DJTT, but not on here until the battle is over. And even then, I often still don't post them here because it's too late, and I have newer mixes available.

Anyway, these mixes don't get as many plays as mixes that aren't battle related, and as such are posted here in the mix submissions section.

However, I VERY rarely get a comment on my mixes. Now I know I aint as good as some of the other guys on here, and don't have a following, but I do try to put up relevant info (tracklisting etc...) to make my post as good as they can be. I am not looking for in-depth analysis either (as I saw, I think it was either KLH or Sigma give to a new members first non-sync mix, it was great to see), but a little comment to say they enjoyed it, or not. Or even just rate it without comment, or comment just to say it has been rated.

More use of the rating system would be more inspiring though.

Right, off to pick a mix, listen, rate and comment...
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...
    Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: 22-06-2013

I do listen to peoples mixes on the mix section but i very rarely post.

I agree a rep rating kinda system would be good for the mix section if possible and the newsletter idea too!

There are multiple issues going on:

1. Newbie DJs looking for feedback on if they are improving (aka validation)
    2. Popularity of being a DJ is still happening - so there are more newbie DJs posting
    3. Newbie DJs aren't reading stickies so the same questions are being asked
    4. Older members just want to be entertained, and newbie DJs are an easy target

Somewhat thinking it through maybe the answer is more complicated than just applying a post-count. I think that the issue is that there's no incentive for newbies and members to act in a mutually-beneficial manner. "Rep" isn't enough incentive to slog through multiple newbie mixes and feedback from newbies isn't really valuable to members... THAT is the problem to me.

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

^^ why not make it so we've got to listen and comment on 3 mixes before we're allowed to post ourselves? 3-1 ratio every time?