Thread: Thinking of takin up the challenge again! RAHH!

Banned

Thinking of takin up the challenge again! RAHH!

I just finished a course, got my certificates and licences etc and now trying to find work.

Anyways I came across some adds for Djs. I thought "I can do that!" ... Only bloody thing I can do. Then I thought about it more, and, it was actually true!
    Djing has been my the job I have done for longest in my entire life. The one that has given me the most reward and so forth. So, I'm thinking of taking up the mobile circuit again. The way I see it, my online label is starting to come into fruition. My music will be available next month on Beat Port etc. If people like it, imagine how good it would be to be doing a 21st birthday and have someone request a song YOU made! And them not knowing you are the guy who made it! Imagine if they found out! Imagine how happy they would be! Imagine having Tiesto Dj your birthday?

I don't see it as a step down from night clubs or anything.. I don't know if it will genuinely happen again for me. Just, I saw that job add and I thought "If I can do anything in this world its THAT!" and suddenly a surge of adrenaline is surging through me at the thought of doing it again! ARGGGGGGGGGG! I LOVE IT!

Is it one of these entertainment companies that pay you 8 bucks/hour to setup a dual deck CD player complete with 4 par cans and a couple of 12" speakers, then play the top 500 country songs at a 60th birthday retirement bingo party, or are you just putting the cart before the horse by daydreaming about the potential sales and success of one of your productions?

Imagine having Tiesto Dj your birthday?
    Ewww no thanks .

Banned
    lol.

Well, I have all my own equipment. I've own an entertainment company myself since 2003 that STARTED in doing this stuff. Then we moved onto clubs. Now I'm an online label.
    So, I could get back into it of my own merrit as my own company. But, my gigs dried up. It happens. The club scene fell apart and its been dificult to get involved again, especially since I have so little respect for what it has become over here, and well, I just don't have the mobile connections I used to. As a kid I would do everyones birthday and the work would stem from that. 1 birthday would often mean another 3 more gigs booked from it.

So, I don't mind the company I work for (As far as name goes) I know that, (and yes this sounds arrogant) who ever I work for, no matter their rep if they have me on board it will grow. (im sorry, this is one field I have be really, bold about. I am a good mobile Dj.) I don't do Microphone shit unless its an emergency because Ive never had to. But, its literally like a 6th sense to me. It sounds, un realistic, but, it is what it is.

Anyways so, I applied. And I was like "well. I just, wouldn't mind playing out again." just for my own pleasure. The extra money would be great. And well, I know when I see a shit deal. Im happy to work for CHEAP, but not ridiculously low ammounts. Not for people who aren't family or friends. But, mobile gigs ALWAYS brought me so much joy. And I do miss it.

Would I rather be Djing a whole night on my own every weekend in a night club, same night club, conveniantly close, playing what I want etc. Putting on a show my way, YES, definately and hey, it might happen one day. But, for all the stress Mobile gigs caused me, leading up them. I always loved them. As soon as I saw people dance it was ALWAYS worth it.

And then you realize you just played the 4th One Direction song of the night... And then your night goes to shit.

You do have skills, but house DJ's are found behind every tree and under every rock these days. It's a crowded market you're getting into. What's the reason people are going to hire you to play for them? What's unique about your services?

And...
    Tiesto would have to pay me a LOT of money before I'd allow him anywhere near my birthday party.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
    As soon as I saw people dance it was ALWAYS worth it.
    That's really the bottom line.
    Doesn't matter if you're a club DJ or a mobile wedding DJ.
    The most important thing is making sure people have a good time.
    WillieB69

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieB69 View Post
    That's really the bottom line.
    Doesn't matter if you're a club DJ or a mobile wedding DJ.
    The most important thing is making sure people have a good time.

Thats exactly right. I used to throw up before every gig from nerves. But, it ALWAYS turned out excellent.

I once played, I think, Thomas Bangalter- So Much Love To Give, 7 TIMES in one night! but they loved it.

Dj Nada. What do I have? I know what I'm doing! I've seen house party Djs rock up and play all their new electro shit thinking everyone will love it. It happened to me as well, but never to the point a gig flopped because of it. I can honestly say, mobile gig wise, I've only ever had 2 unhappy customers. In 13 years. 2. I think I'm doing something right.
    Anyways. At mobile gigs for the most part my mixing isn't anything special. OCCASIONALLY, when I have a chance to and its apropriate I'll do one of those mixes I was talking about in the predictability thread. But, I'm just excellent at choosing the right song for the right momment. Even just pressing Start and stop on rock songs, theres ways you can manipulate the silence that reallllllllly gears people up.

Ideally I'd love to have what I used to have. Same bar, every weekend. Private gigs. Call the client, get it sorted, rock up, gears there, no hassles. Best team I ever worked with. When that bar closed, my life turned to shit.

I think what Nada is saying is, what niche market are you going to go after? Everyone is claiming that they are good at beat matching and reading the crowd. Those points alone will NOT get you very far as a mobile dj. I'm not saying you are not a good mobile DJ, just saying I can already tell you are going to market yourself incorrectly.

Banned
    mate its mobile gigs. There is no niche. I've always been the Mobile Dj whom people rock up to birthdays thinking "Oh yeah usual retro" and stuff like that, but they don't get JUST that. They get it done, uniquely. They get the new shit, but, my personal taste is less commercial. So, they get that to and it surprises the ever living shit out of them.

I ask the client "what do you want?" they say "Oh some of this, some of that" I say "tell me some artists so I know we're on the same page." They might drop 3 dub step names, an electro name, anddddd some Abba and Michael Jackson. I say "Ok. I get all that, but, maybe I get some more, obscure Dub Step also? Some more, underground, clubbier stuff?" I go there, I have shit they expect a mobile Dj WOULDN'T have. Then it blows them away.