Thread: Debating about replacing my par cans with a backlit facade?

Debating about replacing my par cans with a backlit facade?

Hey guys, this is my first post. I have been trolling the forums for a few months and I can't even explain how thankful I am for this website! I used to be the DJ that would make you guys cringe. I had a nice setup however I had no cable managment and used orange extension chords. Ever since I have joined my setup looks a thousand times more professional! So thank you!!

Here is my current light setup
    2 large lighting tripods
    8 smaller american DJ halogen par cans
    1 Chauvet laser
    1 American DJ Dekker
    1 Strobe
    Chauvet Obey 40 to control all of these in sync

I really enjoy the light show that this setup creates. However, I hate how it looks! So I am debating about ditching the par cans and getting a facade and back lighting it. I would still use one of my tripods with all of my smart lights centered behind me. However, I am concerned that the facade lighting will not give off nearly as much wash lighting as the par cans. Has anyone here ditched their par cans for a back lit facade? If so was it enough light? And would you recommend it?

Lighting tripods? Are you talking about light trees? Yeah I got you there. Two light trees do look messy. But on the other hand, you could never have too little lights! That facade would make the lights you have already (and the ones you want to ditch), look even more cooler. Perhaps you can get a 10 foot truss.

A facade /=/ wash lighting. Literally its just for aesthetics. It gives off no wash.

Quote Originally Posted by DJzrule View Post
    A facade /=/ wash lighting. Literally its just for aesthetics. It gives off no wash.
    This. A backlit facade is simply to look good at the dj booth, not a viable lighting option for a room or dance floor.