Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The art and practice of set planning.

Fantastic, thanks for investing your time for us.
    Play music, have fun, be proud of the moment, let the beat flow through your fingertips, your passion and dedication is the language for your own success. [/B]

I still quite disagree with set planning.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Quote Originally Posted by diceallion View Post
    Fantastic, thanks for investing your time for us.
    Cheers dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Adzm00 View Post
    I still quite disagree with set planning.
    We know lol, I even made sure to include this bit for all you Techno/IDM DJS :

"And like tiles, tunes can be “blank” meaning they’ll go into anything, these types of tunes often start and/ or end with like a minute of simple drums and can be mixed into anything.

Now I must point out that many DJs’ collections can consist of all “blanks” or nearly all the same few compatible keys, makes for a very easy dominoes game, these DJs have no need for set planning."

On another note, did you know that I and I bet a fair few others, technically, started DJing first by making compilation cassette tapes
    for parties. That was all set preparation. For me I would say it was one of the primal urges that compelled me to DJ!

But ya know, each to his own, I suppose.

Yeah, but also, a bit of imagination won't go amiss, you can mix incompatible keys with a bit of work of that grey thing between your ears, apparently they call it a brain.

You just need to know your records a bit.

I would argue not needing to plan a set is knowing what your records sound like and having the experience what will and what wont work. Like the both of us likely do.

I have set planned and not planned, when I plan it is a bit less exciting, and the mix generally isn't as good, I just treat it as if I am still playing vinyl, get a load of tunes together I might want to play, and leave it at that.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanee View Post
    Cheers dude!

We know lol, I even made sure to include this bit for all you Techno/IDM DJS :

"And like tiles, tunes can be “blank” meaning they’ll go into anything, these types of tunes often start and/ or end with like a minute of simple drums and can be mixed into anything.

Now I must point out that many DJs’ collections can consist of all “blanks” or nearly all the same few compatible keys, makes for a very easy dominoes game, these DJs have no need for set planning."

On another note, did you know that I and I bet a fair few others, technically, started DJing first by making compilation cassette tapes
    for parties. That was all set preparation. For me I would say it was one of the primal urges that compelled me to DJ!

But ya know, each to his own, I suppose.
    Do you honestly think to do an unplanned set a DJ has to use Dj Friendly edits?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrspyaman View Post
    Do you honestly think to do an unplanned set a DJ has to use Dj Friendly edits?
    Erm no, please explain why you thought I did?

Quote Originally Posted by Adzm00 View Post
    Yeah, but also, a bit of imagination won't go amiss, you can mix incompatible keys with a bit of work of that grey thing between your ears, apparently they call it a brain.

You just need to know your records a bit.

I would argue not needing to plan a set is knowing what your records sound like and having the experience what will and what wont work. Like the both of us likely do.

I have set planned and not planned, when I plan it is a bit less exciting, and the mix generally isn't as good, I just treat it as if I am still playing vinyl, get a load of tunes together I might want to play, and leave it at that.
    I agree with this - also, I don't like set-planning because you look a lot busier up on the decks when you're selecting & mixing on the fly

Erm no, please explain why you thought I did?
    Your explanation of "Blanks" and how Dj's with a lot of blanks have no need for set planning sounded to me like that's what you were saying. I wasn't sure so I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrspyaman View Post
    Your explanation of "Blanks" and how Dj's with a lot of blanks have no need for set planning sounded to me like that's what you were saying. I wasn't sure so I asked.
    Fair enough. No it's just a deep point, to say that with some DJs', their style of music or mixing, means that it doesn't matter what sequence they play their tunes in.

Why should they plan sets? They should just know their records and fling them in a pile like Adzm; or just look really busy whilst selecting like dlove. And then they should moonwalk right out of this thread because it is not applicable to them

This thread is for those who want to map out an interesting, smooth proper journey with an actual destination; one that LEADS a crowd rather than just follows it.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with planning, ask this guy:

Fair enough. No it's just a deep point, to say that with some DJs', their style of music or mixing, means that it doesn't matter what sequence they play their tunes in. Why should they plan sets? They should just know their records and fling them in a pile like Adzm; or just look really busy whilst selecting like dlove. And then they should moonwalk right out of this thread because it is not applicable to them
    This thread is for those who want to map out an interesting, smooth proper journey with an actual destination; one that LEADS a crowd rather than just follows it.
    What if the crowd doesn't like where you are going? Now I have too ask are you implying you can't reach a destination or have a smooth journey without planning your set? To suggest how to and to plan your sets is a proper discussion, agreed, some need to do it that way.
    Too suggest it is superior as you have done is why I keep asking these questions.