View Poll Results: Is it acceptable to take songs from another DJs mix and claim as yours?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 36.36%
  • No

14 63.64%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for the DJs: Is it Ok to take songs of another DJs mixtape for your mixtape

so if big dj "so & so" (actually a cool dj name if no one has used it) played your edit you'd be pissed?
    I don't give 2 shits... without permission it's truly invasive. I don't care if it's _________ (insert whoever) You do not rip from someones mix.... if ANYTHING contact them and try to get permissions to use it. If it's a PROPER big DJ, most of the time they won't fuck you by not asking first.. and if they do, it's just absolutely wrong.

you're awfully angry.

what's with all the profanity?

you know what i am out peace. got no time for internet tough guys.

Quote Originally Posted by moyo wilde View Post
    you're awfully angry.

what's with all the profanity?
    I don't blame him one bit for being dumbstruck by this and pissed off, it's that incomprehensible.
    Think about it, he's a DJ.
    you know what i am out peace. got no time for internet tough guys.
    Can't take the heat, get out the kitchen.

Scenerio: A True Story

Question: How do I jack from another DJs mixtape?

Response: WTF are you serious?

Outcome:

By the way, I started this same exact poll on another music forum. That forum doesn't know about this discussion.

Right now it's 19 against 2 for and that gap will grow. The results shouldn't surprise anyone. Diggers With Gratitude
    My Old School Mixtape - Modern Funk Selections
    "Hit the ground burning and woke up frostbit" - Rakim

Cratedigging Co-Op OP OP Blog

Internet tough guys?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rchecka View Post
    By the way, I started this same exact poll on another music forum. That forum doesn't know about this discussion.

Right now it's 19 against 2 for and that gap will grow. The results shouldn't surprise anyone. Diggers With Gratitude
    Go Internet warrior, go!

This reply in that thread sums it up for me though: -

I would argue that its all about context - if nicking a skit - bit of music - whatever - adds to the overall quality/artistry of the mix as a whole then go for it - Its Hip Hop - the whole genre is built on nicking other peoples music and messing around with it. If it just because you thought some other DJ had a great idea and you wholesale transplant it over - then that's cheating really I guess. I prefer to use stuff I have on vinyl but if you limit it to that - to some extent you are going to limit the creativity of the mix because you might need to drop something that fits perfectly but you just cant find anywhere else.

I don't blame him one bit for being dumbstruck by this and pissed off, it's that incomprehensible.
    Think about it, he's a DJ.

Can't take the heat, get out the kitchen.

Scenerio: A True Story

Question: How do I jack from another DJs mixtape?

Response: WTF are you serious?

Outcome:

I don't know if people are misunderstanding by accident or being ignorant on purpose. The OP was not talking about taking another DJ/producer's personal creation. He was talking about cutting a track from a mixtape that could not be obtained anywhere else. He wasn't talking about taking some cuts or skits from another mix either. I'm not blaming you, but you didn't clarify that point in your thread on that other forum. I think that makes a huge difference. Reading some of the responses a fair few don't even know what the real question is. Even though the vote is 19 to 2, the posts in that thread are far from equivocal.

Now what would you say to that Biggie hypothetical I posted earlier? Post that on the other forum and canvas opinion too. I mean it's all for the sake of discussion, right? I can see where people are coming from but I think it's much ado about nothing.

^again, this...
    It doesn't matter it's exclusive and it doesn't exist anywhere else or if it's a dollar bin hit. Twist in a few more factors, none of that matters, its all DJ Biting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    This reply in that thread sums it up for me though
    Good job tracking down the one of 2 guys that agrees with you. How bout quoting the other 19 that thinks its a dirty little secret.

Christ, it's Monday, I gotta get to work. Why am I bothering with you?

^again, this...
    Well if you're playing that game then all DJing is Artist Biting. Or no? I mean where is the line here? A DJ pulls one song from another DJs mix (i.e. a part of the whole work) and he's a biter, but a DJ uses an artist's whole song (the whole work) and he's good to do that? Similarly with sampling - what's the difference? A producer taking a part of a track that another producer has produced. I mean you can't just pull some 'rules' out of some imaginary rulebook and then dismiss everyone. What's the rationale? What is the difference?

Nineteen guys agreeing with you in an ambiguous poll proves nothing.

Theres nothing ambiguous about the poll. I made it clear, just as this poll is, It's a black and white issue. It only becomes ambiguous when people start throwing in what if questions.

What if it's a skit? What if it's a remix that isn't available any where else? What if its from a cassette?

None of that matters because the questions get the same answer each time... "Is it from another DJ's mix, yes or no?" If it's not from another DJs mix, it's irrelevant and doesn't constitute DJ biting.
    People can imagine as many "what if" questions as they want, it's still a yes or no question.

If there is a person that thinks it's ok 2 percent of the time in the scenerio that it's a skit, it's still a yes or no question so they should answer it as a black and white issue, there is no confusion there.

I could say: Do you think abortion is right?
    A. yes
    B. no

or I could say:

Do you think abortion is right?
    A. always
    B. only when a woman is raped
    C. never

I could start the poll like that with 10 different answers, but it doesn't have to be confusing if you boil it down to a yes or no. Your either on one side of the fence or the other, if you are in the middle, one leg is gonna hang over the fence more on one side then the other, so you choose that side as your vote. We can discuss all the scenerios where it might be right or where it might be wrong but the question remains right there in black and white. If you don't feel like the question can be answered with a simple yes or no, that's fine, anyone can comment accordingly but technically they'd be undecided and don't need to vote on such a black and white issue.

Undecided is a wasted vote and never helps anyone, voters should pick a side or not vote. I can't make that any clearer if I tried.

If source = another DJs finished mix then...
    A. right
    B. wrong.