Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best laptops for DJing

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I do still think they look better, though.
    Quotes single line, glosses over the rest of the post, I love it. So, pour any cups of tea into your running Apple laptops lately? Purchase any replacement keyboards for $35? Mine was OEM'd by ALPS and came in an IBM part box. I see Apple MBP keyboards that are Chinese OEM "Guaranteed to Meet or Exceed Original Specifications." for $60. Or you could go $6 a key. Is that what people call the "Apple tax"? But I mean, Apple sends their laptops into Space, they are bomb proof. Wait, no, NASA sends Lenovo laptops into space. Shit, this is all fucked up now.

Someone want's a high quality laptop. Lenovo makes ThinkPads that are semi-ruggidized, can survive a drink spill (this happened to me twice), have a magnesium chassis, and NASA chose them for use on earth and in space. If you break it, you can get parts cheap and easy to fix it if it's out of warranty. And mostapha thinks they look better. Someone call Lenovo and tell them to put a glowing thingy on their laptops so DJs will buy them.

No, someone call Lenovo and tell them to make them run a real OS that also runs real Music software…which OS X is the only current option for.

Or someone tell Microsoft that they need to write a real-time kernel, a driverless audio/midi spec, that they need to actually follow ieee1394 and usb standards instead of making manufacturers bend to their whims, to give the OS a real shell, and to write APIs that are actually the least bit legible……and we'll talk.

I use Apple only because things like Serato, Maschine, Logic/Pro Tools/Reason, etc. aren't available for Linux…and low-latency Linux audio is made out of some kind of solidified version of the Platoinic ideal of a headache. If those issues were fixed, I'd switch back in half a heartbeat.

Believe me, Apple gets on my nerves at least as much as yours, and I'm terrified that they're going to stop being so positive on the whole computer music/video thing…mostly because more and more people are using Windows for that and they screwed up so badly with Final Cut Pro X that the "pro" upgrade path from FCP9 was to Avid Studio.

But the alternative–to me–isn't Lenovo with Windows. I'd rather give up. The alternative is vinyl that costs more than food, CDJs that cost more than a Mac Pro, and a studio that costs more than a house.

I use Apple because it's cheap. And I get fed up and throw them across a room or out off 3rd floor balconies only to not touch a computer for over a week a lot less since I stopped using Windows. (If you see gaps in my posting…it's usually because I've thrown my computer at something hard and don't want to turn it back on for a few days so it can think about what it did).

And, yes…I've done that with Thinkpads, Macbooks, and Macbook Pros…and Apples survive that kind of abuse a lot better than Thinkpads. Most of the time, the Apples don't even shut off. Never done it to a PC without destroying the screen, the hard drive, or dislodging components from the logic board. Worst damage to an apple was having to re-seat a monitor cable.

Also…uhh……just thinking about not having to touch a computer to do music has me with a ridiculous hard on. The reason I haven't bought PT 10 yet is because I'm honestly wondering if that money isn't better spent on a Zoom R24.

I can't wait 'till the day I give up and actually buy a couple synths, a machinedrum, an octatrack, a GS-R24M, an HD24xr, and a couple compressors……and take a fucking baseball bat to my computers.

I like forums, and I love having the whole world's knowledge at my fingertips………but really my Apple fanboyism is just saying that OS X makes me rage the least. And it ain't because I don't know what I'm doing. It's because when you know enough about computers that you start actually thinking in code…it sucks the fucking life out of you.

I need to go have a cigarette…I'm contemplating smashing this thing, and I don't even know why………I'm just sick of fucking seeing it (oh right…I've been coding all day).

BTW, Java might be the worst invention in the history of mankind.
    Last edited by mostapha; 03-07-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Its just music man. Life and music doesn't have to be so serious that you need to throw computers on a regular basis.

This thread has gone so far from the OP's question it makes me ashamed.

Stuck as an example of how poor these threads go. The "What laptop is best for DJing" threads are a non-starter here, unless you have a specific question.

Just piling on, if you want to vent Windows versus MacOS, go here:

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...ficial+windows

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Windows Laptop Recommendations

I received this in a PM, so I thought that I'd share:

Quote Originally Posted by electronica2016
    I'm looking for a good PC (good soundcard, drivers) to take with me and Traktor to club and bar gigs this summer, any recommendations? I've tried Macs many times (at work) but just prefer my trusty HP Pavilion even if Windows 10 is pushy. I'm thinking to keep my Pavilion at home and take another, audio-friendly PC with me to gigs. Any and all advice most gratefully appreciated.
    I too, prefer Windows to MacOS and I've had great experiences with Dell and Lenovo laptops. I tend to prefer Intel CPUs over AMD and I'm pretty conservative with RAM (8GB). My current laptop is a Lenovo T410 with a 2.4GHz i5 and when I really push it with Traktor, the CPUs don't go over 60%.

Good luck and welcome to DJF!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...