Thread: question about cdjs

question about cdjs

is it possible to burn your whole library (more than a few tracks) to 2 cds,make folders of genres and browse them from the cdjs?
    I ask this cuz many ppl suggest burning many cds with a few tracks on them.
    Y u no check out my music?
    http://soundcloud.com/djfunkyfader
    Battle score: 9-1

No......
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

You would be limited by a few things...

First off, a CD will hold 720 Mb. My iTunes library which isn't really all of my music is 60 Gb meaning I would need about 85 CD's to hold my entire collection of 7000 songs.

Second, a lot of players I've run into and software I've worked with limits the contents in various ways. The most common I've noticed is 99 items per folder + a limit on the total number of items. On a single CD the number of items has never been an issue for me, but the 99 items in a folder can be.

Now let's say you go to DVD's which hold more data... 4.7 Gb single density, 9.4 Gb double density... So assuming single density, my library would fit on about 13 discs.

How about bluray? @ 25 Gb per layer, I would need triple layer blu ray to hold my library. Last I checked there were no DJ players with bluray optical.

On the other hand, if you get a player that can handle an external hard drive, a simple 500 Gb external hard drive is now under $100 so having a couple of those hooked up can be relatively inexpensive. One problem with this approach that is common is, the players may take a VERY long time to do the initial read with a huge library.

If you're stuck on CD's I think you just need to bite the bullet and figure on having a large number of CD's even though you can fit several albums on one CD. You can cut down on the number of discs if you go with a player that reads DVD's. I know at least the CDJ2000 reads DVD, not sure which others.

Given the cost of a CDJ2000 it seems obvious to me why many DJ's are going with computer based digital systems these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ampnation View Post
    I know at least the CDJ2000 reads DVD, not sure which others.
    Only the CDJ-2000 reads DVD

Quote Originally Posted by ampnation View Post
    Given the cost of a CDJ2000 it seems obvious to me why many DJ's are going with computer based digital systems these days
    To buy the CDJ-2000s, you gotta sell your house man. Did you see the price tag?

And to the OP, Try timecoded CDs and a simple Digital setup, it'll save you time from ejecting the discs and inserting a new one.
    Last edited by DJRa1n; 02-25-2012 at 05:58 AM.
    Dubstep is the genre of all sentient music!

Burning a lot of tracks on a cd doesnt seem like a smart thing to me. If you scratch a disc (and you will) you lose a lot of tracks.
    Next to that you can not mix in a track that is on the same disc.

So using USB thumb drives, or an external HD might be the right thing to do for you.

I stick to 2 tracks per disc myself. Seems a lot safer, and for some reason I love to browse my cd wallet
    Last edited by Mick Benjamins; 03-05-2012 at 04:32 AM.
    http://www.soundcloud.com/mickbenjamins || http://www.facebook.com/djmickbenjamins
    A&H Xone DB4, 2x Pioneer CDJ-800 mk2, 2x Reloop RP4000, 13" Macbook Air i7, Akai MPK25, Moog Slim Phatty