Thread: Back in the days when I was young (I'm not a kid anymore)

Thumbs up Back in the days when I was young (I'm not a kid anymore)

Back in the Days
    Hi gang. I was around a bit for 1.0 under a different name, but you didn't know me then. I reckon my story's the same as most, but here goes: I got into DJing about 10 years ago (after seeing Scratch...anyone else? haha) and was a small-time Technics 1200/Rane Top 40/hip-hop/dance crate digger for a couple of clubs in the area and for house parties. It was a lot of fun, a lot wild oats were sewn, and then things got serious re: wife, career, kids. Sold the gear + all the records to buy the house + all the baby furniture.

I'm Not a Kid Anymore
    Wouldn't trade anything for the world...I'm incredibly happy, making more than a comfortable in corporate America, etc. BUT - my life is missing something: that energy created between the DJ and the audience in celebration of the beat. Short term, I'm looking to get back in the saddle of DJing, just part-time, whether it be for parties, school functions, weddings, or perhaps some slots in the club scene on select nights if it works out. The way I see it, I'm in a great spot to do this from a career, family, and now financial perspective. No pressures to mention, just fun looking to be had and some money to blow.

So Now What
    I'm done with vinyl (aside from spinning it in my study while chilling at home), so I'm immediately on the hunt for a controller to go with my beefy Win 7 HP HDX 18t that will run Traktor, Serato, or whatever else you'd want to throw at it (Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, etc.). I'm eyeing the DDJ-SX unless I get more info on the NS7-II to sway my decision. After I get my legs under me with the setup, next will be a PA/lighting system strong enough for an impressive party. There is some competition in my area, but my Google-fu tells me there's only one guy within 20 miles any way who has anywhere near the same approach (musical background, style, age, interests, etc). Shouldn't be too hard to distinguish myself and find some small-time, fun work before wedding season 2014.

Long-term, I'm looking to get more into production. I have a lot to learn in that arena, so researching the right DAW, interfaces, mics, MIDI controllers, etc. will take some time, but I hope to get a decent home studio within a few years and dive into remixing, track creation, and just see where that goes. We have a lot of great, diverse local talent, so there should be plenty to do.

I recall this place being a heck of a resource when I was interested in picking up 2 turntables and a microphone a decade ago, so I can't wait to see what you all are up to these days and learn from how you're rolling.

Nice Re-Intro! Welcome back

Welcome BAck!
    http://soundcloud.com/xtremesound/old-school-1
    In a mood for the 80's Lately!

Welcome back to DJ Forums ghostnotes!!
    - Synaxis || DJ Archer

"Common sense is not quite so common..." -Voltaire