Thread: Looking to pick up some CDJs, which one tho?

Looking to pick up some CDJs, which one tho?

Hi DJF!

I'm looking to pick up some Pioneer CDJ's from this local shop - http://qualityelectronics.net/used-gear

because can't really afford the newer XDJs.

They have the CDJ 1000 - to the MKIII's $235 - $399 for the III's

Not exactly clear on which ones I should get. They'll mainly be for bedroom djing - any sugesstions or reccomendations?

I'd say the mk3's if you can afford them, being newer your less likely to run into problems with them.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

what's the reasoning for wanting to buy cd players? just curious.

you might be able to find a cheaper combo of midi controller and software. you'd just have to rip your cds.

Last Night A BJ Choked My Wife - What did she expect, I was Indeep.

Unless you have a big collection of original CDs or somebody offers you their CDJ 1000 or 800 for peanuts - don't do it.
    Isn't worth it getting a non-USB equipped CDJ in this day and age (and it's been that for some years). In less than a year you'll be fed up burning and organizing CDs (not to mention the rage when you end up wanting to mix song B into song A that's playing only to realize that both of them are on the same CD), you'll end up buying a DVS system, selling them or they'll sit in your house unused (have several friend's that made that mistake - bought them to learn how to beatmatch, ended not using them after half a year.)
    And remember this - buying a CDJ just to use them with timecode is like going to a hooker for a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Unless you have a big collection of original CDs or somebody offers you their CDJ 1000 or 800 for peanuts - don't do it.
    Isn't worth it getting a non-USB equipped CDJ in this day and age (and it's been that for some years). In less than a year you'll be fed up burning and organizing CDs (not to mention the rage when you end up wanting to mix song B into song A that's playing only to realize that both of them are on the same CD), you'll end up buying a DVS system, selling them or they'll sit in your house unused (have several friend's that made that mistake - bought them to learn how to beatmatch, ended not using them after half a year.)
    And remember this - buying a CDJ just to use them with timecode is like going to a hooker for a hug.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    yeah this is how I feel too. CDJs have been made obsolete by advancements in cd burning and midi controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by seang View Post
    yeah this is how I feel too. CDJs have been made obsolete by advancements in cd burning and midi controllers.
    MIDI and CD burning made CDJ capability obsolete? USB fat32 drives and flash memory in general has made CD playback dated. If the venue doesn't have CD playback capability, some mk3s might not be a bad idea to get to have on hand like having a pair of turntables stored just in case someone needs them.

The prices at that store are pretty high.. look on eBay you'll see that the going price for CDJ1000mk3 is around 200-350 each tops. You def don't want to cheap out too much because if the decks die on you repairs are expensive. But as everyone pointed out, USB is the future.. actually, it's the NOW.. CD is fading fast.. and you will want to trade up.. and you will not be able to sell these decks for more than half what you paid a year from now, at these prices. Shop around a little. If you can find a pair of used CDJ-800mk2 at a great price that's a very good option.

These days CDJ-900's are selling used for around the 600 mark less if you're lucky. New XDJ-700s are around 650 I think? I'm starting to see used XDJ's on sale here and there.....

Another one to consider is the CDJ-350, it's a much newer model and has USB.. I had a pair they are good.. and only around 350-400. It's a much better investment.

PS: Just to be clear.. The CDJ 350 and 900 are both newer models that have USB capability, also the 850 does.. the others you are looking at .. all the 800 and 1000 models, are older models that don't do it. Sure when it comes to playing a CD, the 1000mk3 is the best featured.. but if I had a choice of buying a used 1000 or a used 350, it would be the 350 without a doubt. Much newer.. so much less chance you will have a problem with it. And it has not the best USB capability but it does have it.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 07-09-2017 at 04:21 PM.