Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobile DJ Cost Calculator

Mobile DJ Cost Calculator

Presenting the New and Improved...
    DJ Sween's OFFICIAL Cost Calculator

(You will need Excel)

The grey cells are the editable cells. Post up your questions in this thread about how to use it and I'll be glad to help.

The default numbers in there pertain to some of my personal setups...

Basically...

1. Fill in the general questions in the first top column.
    2. Fill in your Audio and Lighting equipment itemization with an approximate initial value.
    3. Fill in your "Packages" across the top row of each "Audio" and "Lighting".
    4. Customize the quantity of each item you bring for each specific package.

Prices will spit out at the top right for each package. Keep in mind that you may have additional labor with a lighting package but all labor is only included in the base "Audio" section, as is travel and overhead.

Also, I'm open to suggestions for improving this...

I'd also like to propose it be stickied.
    Last edited by Sween; 03-21-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Is there an app for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sween View Post

I'd also like to propose it be stickied.

Nice work! As an excel guy myself, i appreciate the work that went into this!

Sweet work, Sween!
    WillieB69

FYI... I was just playing with some numbers and I do not see HOW or WHY any DJ would ever charge under $500 for 5 hour event. The math just does not work.

Example:
    5% rental rate
    $20/hr DJ rate
    Hardly ANY expenses
    Cheap vehicle with great mileage and short distance to event
    1 planning meeting
    2 speakers and a PC, no sub, no facade
    Wireless mic, backup PC, and controller
    No lighting
    Result is $500 charge

I guess I need to upload my excel sheet, how they do it is simply because they don't use the "Sween Formula" lol

Nothing wrong with it, but there are other ways to calculate some of the items you have there that I personally don't agree with.

Please elaborate... The spreadsheet is totally customizable, even down to the percentage payback on equipment.

Seriously... This is not "my" patented formula... It is how you run a business.

What I am saying is if you can't figure out the math of how under $500 mobile DJs work then you aren't looking at everything. 9/10 of my gigs are under $500 for mobile events (I'm about the most selective wedding DJ ever so don't include that with under $500).

Quote Originally Posted by Defiance View Post
    What I am saying is if you can't figure out the math of how under $500 mobile DJs work then you aren't looking at everything. 9/10 of my gigs are under $500 for mobile events (I'm about the most selective wedding DJ ever so don't include that with under $500).
    Not saying it can't work... but it could mean any of the following:

• You are "paying" yourself very little
    • You are using a very long "payback" on your equipment (Even if it is paid off, I feel that you should still charge something... for upkeep, maintenance, and for NEW equipment in the future)
    • You do a TON of gigs per year (the overhead cost per gig goes down with the more gigs you do)
    • You minimize your time spent on planning
    • You minimize your time spent on setting up
    • You work alone
    • You don't advertise
    • You use minimal equipment
    • You spend very little on music (or pirate music)
    • You have a cheap vehicle (this is really an equipment cost as well)
    • You expect your vehicle to last 200,000 miles
    • You live extremely close to your gigs

All of the above can be inputted into the spreadsheet... I think you have a problem with the numbers I chose to input on the spreadsheet instead of the spreadsheet itself...

I just want DJs to think about the WHOLE picture before they throw a price out there... $500 sounds like a lot, but once you add everything up, it's not very profitable. I don't have a problem with a guy who charges $500 if he can justify it.
    Last edited by Sween; 03-21-2013 at 03:24 PM.