Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle for Mobile Djing/ As well as daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by bgbg22 View Post
    I have tried looking at SUVs-Explorers, New Model Jeeps, Xterras, Element, and I just don't know if they have enough room for the equipment, so I had the idea of buying a MINIVAN, any thoughts? I feel I could take out the 2nd row of sets and I would have a ton of room...any thoughts??
    I think just about any minivan will hold a lot more gear than the SUVs you mention. I can get a lot of stuff in my Nissan Quest, including a couple of 21" subs along with everything else if I need to. On my older model, the second row seat folds up and pushes forward. The third row is always out.

Like Gallager I lay board over the carpet to make loading an unloading easier. I use a couple of sheets of 1/8" peg board with a shiny surface, which are lighter than plywood and make it easy to just slide gear in and out.

Minivans depreciate rapidly and unlike pickups you can usually find good deals on them used.

anyone fit 6.5ft trussing in minivans easily? that would be my only concern

Not in but on. I've seen guys strap trussing on the roof's luggage rack of their vans. I don't use trussing myself - just a couple of T tripod stands for my lights.

i figured that's possible. I do that with my explorer now...but on snowy/raining days it's not the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by b.ill View Post
    On my older model, the second row seat folds up and pushes forward. The third row is always out.

Like Gallager I lay board over the carpet to make loading an unloading easier. I use a couple of sheets of 1/8" peg board with a shiny surface, which are lighter than plywood and make it easy to just slide gear in and out.

Minivans depreciate rapidly and unlike pickups you can usually find good deals on them used.
    I think I would remove the back seats, and just leave the gear in it all the time. I remove the center row of my wife's Windstar for my sub now, but since I just added a second sub, I would probably need to take out the back seat for other stuff.

The peg board is a great idea! That slick surface would make it easier to slide gear.

Do you guys know of any minivans that can tow a 5'x8' trailer?

What do you guys think about a vinyl wrap for the minivan/SUV/van/trailer? I like the idea from an customer advertising standpoint. Everywhere you go, you are advertising for your business, and people would probably assume you are pretty serious about your business (i.e., not a fly-by-night, or hobbyist). However, I'm leery of it from a "gear thief advertising" stand. "Hey Mr. Scumbag Thief, this minivan, with lots of easy to break glass windows, may be full of expensive, easily portable audio gear."

Great feedback guys, see the thing is I am only 28, so this is kind of killing me that I have to drive a damn MINIVAN without any kids or wife...yet. However, with my gear I think this is the best way to go. I think someone brought this up, would a truss system with baseplates and 50inch tvs fit in a MINIVAN with no issues? I usually have my zap shot add on with 2 50inch tvs, baseplates,trussing,etc.

This is what you need, then...

What about a used fullsized cargo van? slap some cool wheels and your company or dj logo on the side and your driving a mobile bussines card.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile DJ NOLA View Post
    What about a used fullsized cargo van? slap some cool wheels and your company or dj logo on the side and your driving a mobile bussines card.
    I'm having the full-size van vs minivan debate with myself right now. I'm still torn, mainly because of the gas mileage difference.

As far as the "company/DJ logo", would make it more of a target for thieves?

Quote Originally Posted by bgbg22 View Post
    Great feedback guys, see the thing is I am only 28, so this is kind of killing me that I have to drive a damn MINIVAN without any kids or wife...yet. However, with my gear I think this is the best way to go. I think someone brought this up, would a truss system with baseplates and 50inch tvs fit in a MINIVAN with no issues? I usually have my zap shot add on with 2 50inch tvs, baseplates,trussing,etc.
    bgbg22,
    I use my wife's minivan (Ford Windstar) sometimes. I remove the center row seats, and put the KW181 sub cabinet there, with my Technics flight cases on top. My K10's and cables are in plastic bins, behind the back bench seat. The 46" TV goes length ways, along the driver's sidewall, screen facing out, between the driver's seat, and the rear seat.

I just added a second KW181 and two K12's three weeks ago, and haven't tried loading all my gear since then.

I don't have any truss. My guess is, if you pull all the back seats, you should be able to run the truss up the middle or passenger side without a problem, as long as it's a 6' or maybe even an 8' stick. You could either put it on the floor between stuff, or maybe strap it on top of your subs, so it won't slide around. Or put the truss outside, on the roof luggage rack. A minivan is low enough to the ground, it should not be difficult to strap to the roof rack.