Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences between Deep and Future House?

Hybrid View

Differences between Deep and Future House?

Hey guys

Im listening to more non electro house and im getting a bit confused with genre and what differentiates them...

What is the primary difference between future house (e.g. Bondax) and deep house (e.g. shadowchild) im just using UK producers as they are the ones i know best, sorry if they aren't as well known.

Oh also tech house (like eats everything)?

Cheers for any help!

Never heard of future house, but deep house is er, deep.

Usually around 110-120 BPM, lots of bass, often quite melodic; you've also got a difference between US/Detroit/NYC etc. deep house like Rick Wade/Omar-S and European deep house which often has a 'cleaner' production sound.

Tech house is simply house with a techier sound, often around 120-130bpm, but not so techy it becomes techno.
    Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds

thanks yea i listen to some more tech house and saw the difference, i didnt like it.

Deep house i kinda get but then its the spring offs, future house, UK Jackin House etc are all a bit confusing to me which elements vary, i think it may be a baseline thing... guess ill wait for some further responses.

heres a future house example:

Last edited by Inferno; 03-09-2013 at 08:59 AM.

To be honest mate I really wouldn't give a damn about genre tags and just listen to the music you like.

If you're bothered about genres because you get your music from Beatport then you'd be better off searching for the tunes you want using artist and label name searches. Beatport's genre tagging system is all fucked up anyway.
    Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds

Quote Originally Posted by Mahatma Coat View Post
    To be honest mate I really wouldn't give a damn about genre tags and just listen to the music you like.

If you're bothered about genres because you get your music from Beatport then you'd be better off searching for the tunes you want using artist and label name searches. Beatport's genre tagging system is all fucked up anyway.
    not the reason, im a producer and im getting more into house so I wanted to know the classification elements out of interest.

Well I certainly wouldn't produce tracks to fit a specific genre, what's the point in doing that?

Just do your thing and if you get lucky some ponce of a music journalist will have to invent a whole new genre tag for you = winning.

Soundcloud sounds

Quote Originally Posted by Mahatma Coat View Post
    Well I certainly wouldn't produce tracks to fit a specific genre, what's the point in doing that?

Just do your thing and if you get lucky some ponce of a music journalist will have to invent a whole new genre tag for you = winning.
    i dont know if your a producer but it helps to know what genre your making so you get the right sorts of sounds and characteristics. Anyway, I just want to know the difference, not a debate on limitations of genre.

Thanks anyway

I guess what Mahatma is trying to imply is to make a track that sounds good to you since a track will often cross multiple sub-genres. I play jackin' funky house but there are certainly tracks that would fit a deep or tech set. Not everything is so black and white.

You have the sub-genres listed out. You are starting to know what you like and don't like. Implement the elements you like and don't implement the ones you don't. I think you are the one that is concerned with the limitations (aka characteristics) of specific genres and making sure something fits into a prescribed box when it's really about bringing your own sound to a production.
    Last edited by Finnish_Fox; 03-09-2013 at 09:51 AM.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    I guess what Mahatma is trying to imply is to make a track that sounds good to you since a track will often cross multiple sub-genres. I play jackin' funky house but there are certainly tracks that would fit a deep or tech set. Not everything is so black and white.

You have the sub-genres listed out. You are starting to know what you like and don't like. Implement the elements you like and don't implement the ones you don't. I think you are the one that is concerned with the limitations (aka characteristics) of specific genres when it's really about bringing your own sound to a production.
    its not so much that i just want to know the differences that lead to their classifications. disregard everything and i just wanted definitions of what the differences are.

I typically think of house as funky and deep in terms of main sub-genre and, at an extreme, they are reasonably different. I think of Jackin' as being a slightly harder, less nu-disco style of funky house. it can be a bit "glitchy" in the way producers chop their samples.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1