Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Play tracks at 12 or 2 o'clock position for EQs?

Using the EQ's can depend on the genre of music you are mixing. Recordings before the digital age can often benefit from a touch of EQ and you are basically digitally remastering it. Most modern tracks are well studio produced and are very responsive to EQ adjustments but there are older tracks that sound muffled until EQ is added and which gives new life to it. I'm talking about music that was produced decades ago when production budgets may have been tight. A lot of 90's rave and jungle I mix need the EQ's maxed out just to be listenable otherwise it would be like listening to them in the 90's. Some of these tracks have become iconic but most will have been bedroom produced or at most done at a shoestring studio. They sound terrible now without maxing out the EQ. Even then some are still unuseable.

Ideally I like All EQs to be set at 12 (neutral) so I have a small buffer to make adjustments. Too much EQ is a one way ticket to distortionville unless the track is old and needs all the help it can get.

Banned
    Some people also get used to listening to music with certain EQ settings applied to it. A friend of mine always has the high end turned up and to me it sounds shitty, but when he listens to music at my house where I don't apply any EQs at all, he thinks I need to turn the high end up. I think he's in the wrong though, because he's used to hearing "coloured" sound, kinda like how someone who's used to watching a TV with the brightness set way too high would think a properly calibrated TV doesn't look right.

"Old man" Djing
    real djs just mix with the trim knob

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie D Music View Post
    Using the EQ's can depend on the genre of music you are mixing. Recordings before the digital age can often benefit from a touch of EQ and you are basically digitally remastering it. Most modern tracks are well studio produced and are very responsive to EQ adjustments but there are older tracks that sound muffled until EQ is added and which gives new life to it. I'm talking about music that was produced decades ago when production budgets may have been tight. A lot of 90's rave and jungle I mix need the EQ's maxed out just to be listenable otherwise it would be like listening to them in the 90's. Some of these tracks have become iconic but most will have been bedroom produced or at most done at a shoestring studio. They sound terrible now without maxing out the EQ. Even then some are still unuseable.

Ideally I like All EQs to be set at 12 (neutral) so I have a small buffer to make adjustments. Too much EQ is a one way ticket to distortionville unless the track is old and needs all the help it can get.
    If you turn all the eqs up; all you did was increase the volume.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron altar View Post
    If you turn all the eqs up; all you did was increase the volume.
    I know how equalisers work but I disagree with this. Even though they technically just add a small amount of volume to a particular frequency range the EQs do a lot more than just alter the volume in the same way the volume fader and gain does. You can enhance the dynamics with the EQ especially the mid range and it gives a richer sound but as I said it depends on the type of track you are using and how well you can pick out changes in tone and texture.

I'm in agreement that the EQs should never be used as a means of adding extra volume because that should only be done with the volume faders and channel gains but a DJ should never be reluctant to experiement with with the EQs as they can enhance music you might have thought already sounds fine.

They are good for beatmatching too because you can turn up the high range to make the percussive sounds clearer and then return the EQ to normal when it's beatmatched.

I think Sigma is spot on above because I am guilty of having too much high end EQ which can make the music sound tinny. I should realise that all sound systems have at least a treble dial the listener can raise if they need to so I should err on the side of caution and keep the high end EQ lower that what I'm used to. I don't mind raising settings to get the desired sound when I listen to a track but if I have to lower something like the treble dial it can make me question the recording quality.