Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Hip Hop DJs?

Boy I hate to admit it but this quote is sad but true. But as a dj myself I would agree I need more specifics in this question. I like Rev, Scratch, Spinbad and many others though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamza21 View Post
    Hard to say nowadays since most Hip Hop deejays have drifted away from Hip Hop. They have become scratch nerds,EDM club deejays or are stuck in the past only playing songs from 20 years ago. There's only so many ways you can mix old radio hits without sounding like the next guy.

craze (started out as a hip hop djs, and if you have never heard him play it your missing out), jazzy jeff, mix master mike.

just my opinion

I think Mista Sinsta is an under-rated/under appreciated DJ in the history of hip-hop. But I agree with the others that this is a much harder question to answer than it was 15-20 years ago. Back in the day (said with my cane shaking in the air), DJs kind of did it all: made beats, scratched on songs, made mix-tapes, played at clubs. That kind of DJ seems to be hard to find theses days.

That being said, DJ Jazzy Jeff is safe pick. He still plays out and is incredible and keeps putting out great mixes. And of course he can scratch with the best of them.

Banned
    J.Rocc.

^I agree w/ J-Rocc, still the best Hip Hop DJ and arguably the best DJ today.

Throw in DJ Shadow who is still touring right now and has no problem pushing the limits of what's expected of him at a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamza21 View Post
    most Hip Hop deejays have drifted away from Hip Hop. They have become scratch nerds,EDM club deejays or are stuck in the past only playing songs from 20 years ago. .
    Your pessimism is the product of your own very small personal bubble and right now your bubble is very dark.
    I'm sure you already know when you get like this it's a buzz kill and genuinely unhelpful.

It's really not that bad right now, look towards the light.

To add on, DJ JS1 is in a very good place right now too, juct check his blog for groundbreaking mixes.
    My Old School Mixtape - Modern Funk Selections
    "Hit the ground burning and woke up frostbit" - Rakim

Cratedigging Co-Op OP OP Blog

Some of my personal favorites:
    Jazzy Jeff
    Kid Capri
    DJ Wonder
    The Whole Beat Junkies Crew
    A Trak

I'm sure the list can go on and will go on for days.....

I also would have to second DJ Jazzy Jeff and J Rocc, but would also like to mention DJ Rhettmatic and most of the DJs who are part of the Scratch Makaniks crew (see DJ Bee and DJ Jay Ski).

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Que Yi View Post
    Jazzy Jeff
    A Trak

scratching from scratch and jazzy jeff! all time favs!