Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Finding it really hard to beat match by ear...

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    I've got some additional advice. Don't over think things, get off the forums and spend the time practicing not writing posts on the Internet.
    I wanted to say this too

Learning to beatmatch is like riding a bike and you just have to start doing it. You already realise that it's always a good idea to start the learning process with tips on good habits which shows you are determined but it always comes down to hours and hours of practice. Keep a pen and paper handy so you can write down things that you can google or post on here later but realise that it's a period of training your ears and there are no shortcuts for that. The key ability is picking out certain percussive sounds in a track. The nature of EDM makes these as repetitive as the kickdrum so they can all be used to beatmatch. Listen to tracks on their own and make your mind concentrate on single percussive sounds. This skill takes mental ability which you have to put effort in to. There will be times you wan't to stop but you have to show stamina and carry on for longer and give it 100%. Beatmatching comes down to understanding tempo and the ability to pick out different parts of music at will.

Quote Originally Posted by Hausgeist View Post
    There was that cat, ForumDecorum, on 1.0 who liked DnB. He posted a new thread regarding beatmatching woes like every three months or so.
    LOL... interestingly, ragga jungle taught me phrasing.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1