Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Cases

Road Cases

I'm curious what others are using for cases. I have 4 Martin Mx scanners that I need a 2 up case for. I have a case that holds all 4 but its really heavy; 100lbs loaded.

I'm also going to buy 2 chauvet intimidator 350 and would also need a case for those. I'm not looking to spend $500 on a case. I'll say $200 or less.

Not really interested in bags but will consider.
    www.823entertainment.com
    Your Celebration....Your Way

I'm often confused why someone would invest nearly $ 1000 in a tool and want to scrimp on it's protection.

Road cases of ATA level will provide your tools not only years of service but good re-sale value in the future. Consider it an investment in your investment.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

Bill I see your point but I believe ATA cases are overkill for my needs. I have a dewalt tool case with foam for my 16 uplights at a cost of $80. Does everything an ATA case can. My colorstrips are in a rifle case for $30. There are ways to get form and function without the sticker shock.

The confusing part is the mfg ships these expensive lights in cardboard and styrofoam. If that's sufficient for them then why I need to go above and beyond.
    www.823entertainment.com

I use odyssey cases and love them.

Another thing cases do is speed up set up and tear down times. I keep 4 Q spot 260 in one case in their styrofoam shells they were shipped in and that way i only have the one case to bring them in all at once. I actually build a shelf in the same case and have my 3 color pallets, strobe and mirror ball motor all in the same case. It's pretty nice. So all of my lights come in, in one case... Really speeds up set up.

+1 for ATA road cases. I had two custom cases built for my Martin SCX700's. Each case holds 2 scanners. Shop around with different case vendors. You'll be surprised that you can get some pretty good deals out there.

If you don't want to spend for ATA road cases, I'd say build your own cases. Then you can customize the sizes and keep the look the same from one case to the next which looks more professional. If you reinforce your joints on the inside and use no void ply, you can then buy casters from audiopile.net. I prefer real road cases so I just buy the audiopile stuff. For lights where you need the foam I think they sell pick to size foam. The other thing I did recently that really improved my setup time was to put EVERYTHING on wheels. If I didn't have a case, I strapped it to a movers dolly with polyurethane wheels. As long as there aren't stairs, this is a huge time saver. I haven't had to deal with stairs yet. knock on wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ampnation View Post
    If you don't want to spend for ATA road cases, I'd say build your own cases. Then you can customize the sizes and keep the look the same from one case to the next which looks more professional. If you reinforce your joints on the inside and use no void ply, you can then buy casters from audiopile.net. I prefer real road cases so I just buy the audiopile stuff. For lights where you need the foam I think they sell pick to size foam. The other thing I did recently that really improved my setup time was to put EVERYTHING on wheels. If I didn't have a case, I strapped it to a movers dolly with polyurethane wheels. As long as there aren't stairs, this is a huge time saver. I haven't had to deal with stairs yet. knock on wood.
    I am going to go this route since I will be able to get exactly what I want. I have access to wood shopop and this will allow me to build a custom case for my facade.

Thanks for the input guys. As soon as the weather breaks I will post pics when I'm done along with build list and cost.
    www.823entertainment.com

We have tons of used cases that can be re purposed if your interested, little time with some foam and wood and you can have a nice case to protect your gear at a fraction of the cost.
    Your One Stop Production Shop!
    Thomas Petrusky - Lightning Audio Productions, Full Service Production.
    www.LightningAudioPro.com

Quote Originally Posted by LtAudio View Post
    We have tons of used cases that can be re purposed if your interested, little time with some foam and wood and you can have a nice case to protect your gear at a fraction of the cost.
    You need to get a vendors license if you're going to be selling things on here.

I've always just made my own. Get on Penn-Elcom and look at some handles/latches/hinges/corners/etc... Also get some GOOD casters, you will regret it if you don't. Then just jump on Ebay and order what you need. I usually just use 1/2" plywood then carpet it or else get some type of bed lining and roll it on. It's not as awesome as the ATA bought cases I'm sure, but it's done me well for about 15 years. You can even find some inserts on Penn-Elcom or else check out like ULine and get some foam to line the cases with.