Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 Speaker + 1 Sub Setups

1 Speaker + 1 Sub Setups

so after lugging around my 2 K12's and 2 KW181's by myself i found out 2 things. 1. My back hates me 2. it was always almost an over kill. i sold all the equipment and i am looking for 1 top and 1 sub. the parties i do are usually around 30-100 people max. I want a light weight speaker i can bring for the 30-60 people house/small bar parties and bring the sub for any parties bigger than that. My main concern is weight. I almost gave up djing just because i hated carrying the equipment. Anyone have any recomendations for a 1 pa speaker/sub combo? i was looking at the EV ZXA1/Sub combo or the new Mackie DLM/S. thanks for any info

Sorry.. ONE speaker is lame. At least bring two small ones. I have a pair of ZXA1's and, in their padded cases, I can easily carry both of them over one shoulder. And they sound damn good (they do require a sub tho). But I think there are several good options in smaller powered speakers these days. QSC and RCF would serve you well also. As far as subs.. The ZXA/1 sub doesn't produce a lot of output and I question whether just ONE would be sufficient for all jobs. Two next to each other would be decent. The Yamaha DXS12 is 70-something pounds vs 50 or so for the ZXA1/sub, but might be able to stand on it's own for small events.

also forgot to clarify my budget is 1500-2000 max. the wife didnt like that last time i spent over 4k in speakers.

I bought my car to the mechanic and paid him, but he only did half the work he was supposed to do...
    I was like WTF, what kind of mechanic only does half the work? He said "It's ok, because my wife told me I can only buy half the tools I need".

EDIT

My point is not to ignore your wife (cause I know how that is), but that, if you want to be a DJ, show up with a reasonable system. Buy used equipment if necessary (you can easily get two decent speakers and a sub for 2K). If you can't swing it then don't advertise yourself as a professional dj, it's not fair to the people who hire you.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 02-22-2013 at 10:22 AM.

If God had meant for you to use only one speaker he'd have given you only one ear.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

30-100 people? Just bring one K12 in deep mode. Don't need to sell or buy anything, 1 K12 is easy to bring. Just one won't sound the best, but it's more than enough power. Bring a EX ZXA1 12'' sub for some bass if you really feel it's necessary. 450 bucks total cost, done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    If God had meant for you to use only one speaker he'd have given you only one ear.
    Them Bose People think a speaker stick is all they need. Go figure.
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

I would personally use two tops over one top and one sub. I run two JBL EON 15G2s when I want to travel light, they are able to work without a dedicated subwoofer.

If you can cover the audience with one 90 degree speaker, then the only problem is clients who think they need "stereo" sound and don't understand how large scale sound systems work.

I -do- know how large scale sound systems work, and I prefer stereo. DJ sound for a 100-500 person event is very different from live sound reinforcement for a 500-5000 (or more) person event.