Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What should I play?," "what would you play?," "give me music!"

Man, you can't expect to earn hell a lot from DJ, that is just plain stupid. Like any hobby, Djing requires money to be spent and everybody knows that. If you really are into it there wont be no regret but do not imagine you will be rich and stuff, maybe in a long run, but that's just maybe.
    http://www.lucidsamples.com
    http://www.facebook.com/lucidsamples

Anyone who asks what music they should play as a DJ needs to phone a taxi, get their coat, go home and stay there.

If you're asking what music you should be playing you're not a DJ and never will be.

Its clear, you don't love music, so go do something else.
    Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds

Ok, I got it, thanx!

Bravo to the OP. My only hangup is putting money up to obtain MP3s. I'm a bit on a budget, and don't want to immediately spend $50-$100 for a tracklist. Has anyone else been faced with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jrausch View Post
    Bravo to the OP. My only hangup is putting money up to obtain MP3s. I'm a bit on a budget, and don't want to immediately spend $50-$100 for a tracklist. Has anyone else been faced with this?
    sure. there was a time i could only spend 20 bucks a month on tracks. makes library building kinda tedious. still did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarnYourKeep
    name one dj that can replicate richie's drums in a minimal techno way, this coming from a plastikman background...then again i figure trance heads would respond this way they always seek the BUILD UP AND DROP THE BASS BRO

Well I'm going to try any way I can while staying legal to fill my library. I'll probably end up spending money regardless. I did find a nice source however on last.fm with free indie dance downloads. http://www.last.fm/music/+free-music...ds/indie+dance

Quote Originally Posted by Jrausch View Post
    When I started DJing I was 13 years old and had vinyl decks, I could afford to buy one or two records a week if I was lucky; I just accepted that and got on with it, and tried to get some extra change in my pocket whenever I could. Yeah it meant that my first few months of being a DJ involved playing the same handful of records over and over in a different order but that was fine for learning, and I definitely got to know them well! Then between 18-22 I was at uni so wasn't much better off, I just bought records when I could, at least by then Beatport and DVS existed so I could save money by buying most stuff digitally.

Not sure what your financial situation is but mp3s cost a couple of dollars each, I find it hard to believe anyone can't afford to at least buy a handful of them each month. Especially if you're a beginner you really don't need loads of music, it'll be pretty overwhelming and cultivating a great music library takes time.

I would definitely have a nice time going to a vinyl shop. I plan to get a pair of turntables just for that after I get my first equipment. There are actually a lot of vinyl shops in my town, I only saw three of them and I know there are more.

Respect NickJames, I'm a noob and completely understand you on this one...

"Every DJ needs to have their own sound and digging for music is not only an important skill but it's a deeply personal experience."

I did not need to read a single word after this statement. Its like askin someone if you can borrow their dentures.... WTF!!! lol
    Play music, have fun, be proud of the moment, let the beat flow through your fingertips, your passion and dedication is the language for your own success. [/B]

Thanks that help a lot, I want to make my own sound but Im having some problems with the mixing itself. l feel like im getting songs that sound good at certain parts but then they clash later. any advice to how to keep that from happening, im also working with a newmark omnicontrol